Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to price a totally custom XK8

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default How to price a totally custom XK8

I've been thinking about selling my 2002 XK8. I'd really like to get a 07 or newer. (Or even a DB7 a friend says he'll sell me! Stunning and my mechanic works on them too!)
Thing is, it's so custom and upgraded, I don't know where to begin on a price. I've done every major mechanical job, tensioners, hydraulic lines, new coolant system, power steering lines and pump, many many more mechanical updates. Then there's the overall condition. Arden body kit, custom wheels, all custom badging, custom paint, new two tone black and oatmeal leather interior, new veneer fascia with piano black details, black headliner, new fully loaded audio with touchscreen and all Bluetooth access, rear seat delete with black leather jaguar travel trunk fitted, many more custom details. And amazing mina gallery exhaust.
I know I'll never see what I've put into it but surely it's worth some premium more than a standard XK8.
It's also a JCNA concourse winning car as well!
It's as reliable as any will ever be and should give many more miles of trouble free driving.
How to price a totally custom XK8-image.jpg

Old 01-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

New veneer interior with two tone leather.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

Rear seat delete. Best thing I ever did and so much more functional.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

unfortunately Phil, it is "custom" to your tastes not necessarily the buying market. She is a beautiful Jag - no doubt - but IMHO I think you will be hard pressed to get all that you put into her. It may just be a matter of how long are you willing to hold out for the premium you want.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

That's going to be a problem. For cars that are truly iconic (1960s Corvettes or 1957 T-bird, for example) normally someone in with the interest and in a financial position to spend the bucks wants as stock as possible--doing a bunch of custom mods likely diminishes the value of those cars.

Our vintage XK8 are not yet quite in the iconic category but it strikes me that the limited market of potential buyers out there for these cars would similarly value a "stock" vehicle over one that has had a bunch of mods. So as limited as the appeal would be to buy a 10+ year old Jaguar to begin with, the audience for a "customized" Jaguar would be even more limited, imho.

I guess you can start with autotrader or something and see what you can fetch.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
Two-saabs (03-30-2021)
Old 01-20-2015, 04:53 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Phil,

Still suffering the iPhone effect!

How to price a totally custom XK8-phil.jpg

You're going to take a hit but I hope you get top end of current value. Good luck.

Graham

Old 01-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

"It's as reliable as any will ever be and should give many more miles of trouble free driving."

Sounds like a car I would keep. Putting all the personal touches rarely returns what you have put into it. But the more serious mechanical updates should.

I'd search around for what they bring in your area and put it at the top end of the prices. It would certainly present well for any one looking for one. All of this you already know I'm sure.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Four people typing a reply at exactly the same time? All with some continuity too!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Phil
I'd keep it I don't think you'd get what you want. Like Doug said most buyers want stock and it would be a shame to sell for market or below. You've done a nice job with it

Old 01-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
That's going to be a problem. For cars that are truly iconic (1960s Corvettes or 1957 T-bird, for example) normally someone in with the interest and in a financial position to spend the bucks wants as stock as possible--doing a bunch of custom mods likely diminishes the value of those cars.

Our vintage XK8 are not yet quite in the iconic category but it strikes me that the limited market of potential buyers out there for these cars would similarly value a "stock" vehicle over one that has had a bunch of mods. So as limited as the appeal would be to buy a 10+ year old Jaguar to begin with, the audience for a "customized" Jaguar would be even more limited, imho.

I guess you can start with autotrader or something and see what you can fetch.

Doug
Yes, my view is that when you "customize/personalize" any iconic/classic car and put a lot of money into it doing that, you usually end up reducing the selling price, rather than increasing it. Of course, the opposite can be true if you find a buyer who has the exact same taste as you do. I don't know if the leaper is still on there, but, if I were you, I think I'd remove it to try to sell it.

Good luck with your new vehicle, whatever it is.

Edit: Let me clarify what I meant to say. Such a customized car, in such great shape and with all of the mechanical issues addressed may, in fact, bring more than a bone stock car of the same model year, but almost certainly not recoup the "investment" in personal taste issues.

Last edited by Kevin D; 01-20-2015 at 07:37 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't know what it will bring but If it's the car I'm thinking it is I can vouch that it is damn nice!
I'm pretty sure I saw it and spoke to you briefly last April at the Shelton Vineyards British car gathering?
If it were mine I would hang on to it as well.
2X

Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

+1 to what everybody else said but I think you already knew this. That's a really nice car and I personally think what you have done should in no way distract from any potential buyers wanting the car. Some folks go to "personal" when they customize but in your case everything you have done enhances the stock car and any one would be proud to own it.

What's it worth to another buyer is anybody's guess. Here's what bone stock cars just sold for this week at the Scottsdale Barrett Jackson auction:
Been watching the auctions all week,
$12,650 for a 97 XK8 with 64K miles
$18,700 for a 2000 XK8 with 30K miles
$25850 for a 98 XK8 with 28K miles
$33000 for a 97 XK8 no miles listed

I'd say your best bet would be a high end auction. BJ is coming to Palm Beach in April!

Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

It's a lot like motorcycles. I've spent thousands on upgrades and I won't be able to sell it for more then if it was stock. Most of us that sell bikes will sell of the upgrades.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

. . . another scooter comment:

I probably have $8,000 in aftermarket add-on's on my motorcycle but would not expect to get anything for them in a sale.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
. . . another scooter comment:

I probably have $8,000 in aftermarket add-on's on my motorcycle but would not expect to get anything for them in a sale.
That's jut two of my tigers in add ons

It will be a hard sell depending on how much you are looking to recoup. I would think an auction might be a good place to sell, that way you get true market value at least if some buyers bid.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
What's it worth to another buyer is anybody's guess. Here's what bone stock cars just sold for this week at the Scottsdale Barrett Jackson auction:
Been watching the auctions all week,
$12,650 for a 97 XK8 with 64K miles
$18,700 for a 2000 XK8 with 30K miles
$25850 for a 98 XK8 with 28K miles
$33000 for a 97 XK8 no miles listed

I'd say your best bet would be a high end auction. BJ is coming to Palm Beach in April!
I need to go to the Barret-Jackson show then. Around here, most XK8s are listed for $8,000-$12,000 for low mileage cars. I tried selling my 68,000 mile 2000 XK8 for $8,600 with no takers. Three lookers, but they were all largish guys, and we all know that a 6'-5" 300 pound (2 meter 136 kg) guy isn't really a comfy fit. My XK8 is in very good condition inside and out, with a JagWrangler remote top. Thing is, NONE of those XK8s sell, not only mine. The XKRs are priced about $3-5k more, but those don't sell either.
Maybe Utah = too much snow??? We don't get much snow though.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Phil,
I've been wondering where you've been lately, I've missed your posts. As the owner of both a 2002XKR and a 2010XKR, I understand your dilemma, and I couldn't have chosen one over the other. However, if truth be told, I like my 2002 better. It certainly isn't as quick, doesn't handle nearly as well, has a suspension not nearly as capable as the 2010, but....it looks (to me) so much better, sexier, more sensual, more classic, garners more compliments than any car I have ever owned, and gives me a greater sense of occasion every time I drive it.

On the other hand, the 2010 does so many things better, and sharp paddle shifting, and gobs of power are so addicting.

As for what you can get for your car, Jandreu's listing of the XK8/XKR models sold at auction were quite surprising, reflecting higher prices than we've seen in years on these cars. Ebay listings reflect this as well. I think you could be aggressive in your pricing because the work you've done on your car is exceptional and will have broad appeal. Just as with my Pantera, strict originality on these cars is not specifically valued over tasteful, and model enhancing improvements, and yours is certainly in that category.

Finally, make sure this is the step you want to take by driving the newer models, as well as some others like the F-type and even other brands like the Aston of which you spoke. Then make your choice. You might be surprised.

Keep us in the loop.

Last edited by tberg; 01-20-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

I was also very surprised at the auction prices however at a high end auction like BJ you get more folks of means and let's face it a well cared for XK8/R is a seductive mistress that carries it's age well and appeals to folks of taste.

A well presented car like Phil's would do very well at an auction like BJ in Palm Beach this April. Just in time for top down weather and an audience looking to spend. 20 to 25 K is lunch money for a lot of these bidders so a sexy car in this price range is a no brainier.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2ndxk8
Don't know what it will bring but If it's the car I'm thinking it is I can vouch that it is damn nice!
I'm pretty sure I saw it and spoke to you briefly last April at the Shelton Vineyards British car gathering?
If it were mine I would hang on to it as well.
2X
That's the car! I don't really want to sell but I'm getting bored and need a new project. If I could find a newer 07 in need of some TLC, I'd probably keep both.

I've taken it to Charlotte Cars And Coffee and had tons of interest in it. I threw out a number of 18K and almost sold it! But I just couldn't when it came down to the line.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

It's always amazing too me how everyone always says the X100 is an iconic classic but the most popular ones seem to be modified to some degree. Ive been to a lot of car shows and when I put mine in line with stock cars, it's the definate crowd pleaser. I've found that most older collectors tend to want the stock examples but younger enthusiasts go for the lowered, exhaust note improved, custom examples.
I know it will take s special buyer to want my mods, and I know il NEVER get out a fraction of my expenditures (never did it for profit) but just from reactions over the last couple years, I think I could do better than a standard 2002.
On a side note, I have been told, even by the concours judge from JCNA that even though he's not a huge fan of modifications, he admitted mine was the perfect example of how to do it right. Everything carefully thought out and extremely detailed and well executed. No evidence of any botched jobs or crazy racerboy add ons! And he completly approved of the body kit, being an Arden style.

Quick Reply: How to price a totally custom XK8