XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"How To' Video's--Shock Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts
Default "How To' Video's--Shock Mounts

The How To video on replacing Upper Shock Mounts was a video that imspired me to tackle the job and save-I'm sure- hundrews of dollars in the process. Thank's Rev. Sam.

A couple of things that other's might want to consider at the on set of the project however, should be mentioned.

#1: If you purchase the OEM type of parts, above all else, remove the paint from the three top screws. I don't know what kind they used, but the nut to mount them on the car will not clean the paint off the threads. If you attempt to screw them on the studs once the unit is in the car, you face shearing the studs. The nut will just make a few turns and freez on the stud. "CLEAN THE PAINT OFF THE STUDS"

#2: If you borrow the tools from a parts house, make sure they are in good shape. There is nothing worse then being half way and finding out the darn things will not work right. GOOD CONDITION COMPRESSION TOOLS

#3: When you mount the compression tools on the spring, make sure you get the lowest and highest coil you possibly can on the spring--even if you have to hammer the clamps of the tool around the coil to do this. If not, your wasting time trying to compress the spring enough to get the shock mount center nut off without the spring doing what it's best at doing--making a missle out of the mount. POSITION THE TOOL CORRECTLY

#4: When you buy your Shock Mounts, don't try saving money, and get every thing you need--such as the BUMP STOP and bellows. Once I was ready to put the system together, I decided to slid the bellows and Bump Stop off the strut shaft to have a looksee, because I had noticed what looked like alot of dust on the top of the strut. The Bump Stop was half gone and the rubber bellows looked like it came from the 30's. The stop looked as if someone had been working on one end of it with a grinder. Being a Sunday, I purchased two from a parts house and they came with new bellows. The name? Moog. BUY NEW BUMP STOPS AND BELLOWS

One last thing. After you take the wheel off, use a good camera and take a picture of everything--especially the upper mount bushing and the little spacers Rev Sam mentions a number of times in his video. That way, if something goes wrong or you just mess up, you'll have a good record of how things are supposed to look.

Above comments based on actual encounters by yours truely.

The Rev Sam's videos on how to do things are priceless. Watch them again and again before any project.

Chuck
05/XJ8L & XK8 Conv

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 06-30-2014 at 01:28 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Chuck Schexnayder:
Davebc (07-02-2014), Jag#4 (06-30-2014), Jim D (06-30-2014), JimC64 (06-30-2014), JSC (07-28-2014), lovemycar1 (07-27-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

+1 and amen to everything Chuck said.

The only thing I would add is regarding the spring compression. After fighting with a poor quality rent-a-tool set from the local parts store, I gave up and paid $50 to have them disassembled and reassembled at an auto shop. Best money I have spent in a long time.

Otherwise, a definite DIY job.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jag#4:
Jim D (07-28-2014), JimC64 (06-30-2014), lovemycar1 (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Should have read this first

You were so right about the new bellows. I bought a new set with the snubbers to keep everything right. I just wish I followed your advise about removing the paint from the threads. Sure enough, I twisted off one of the shock mount studs from my new mounts. I don't believe this will be a problem, but I will have a reminder every time I open the bonnet to look research carefully and follow the advice of much more experienced people.
I will know better next time.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Just for clarity - those bolts aren't painted. It is powder coating - far harder and better gripping than paint. You just have to clean them off or do as I did and twist off one.

And, simply using a wire brush didn't work for me. I used a die (tap & die set) to chase the threads - 8mm/125 is correct.