XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you describe your experience owning a jaguar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 02:33 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts
Default How would you describe your experience owning a jaguar?

How would you describe your experience owning a jaguar? Obviously we are all here in this forum because we are enthusiasts or owners with jaguar problems to be solved. The bias being towards the latter I'm sure.

For me, I've become quite a bit more educated regarding auto maintenance and repair (this being my second British vehicle).

Any time I make another jaguar purchase, of an auto with more than 50,000 miles on it, I will have the suspension, brakes, and transmission rebuilt. Along with a new set of tires. Before anything else is done to it. That cost will be figured into any asking price.

I do hope never to part with my Jaguar. Love this car.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Definitely a love hate relationship, after 4 years of ownership, I can describe this as being the biggest car purchase mistake of my life!

Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
Definitely a love hate relationship, after 4 years of ownership, I can describe this as being the biggest car purchase mistake of my life!
+1........even though it may not be the BIGGEST car purchase mistake, it sits right up there next to my Fiat X 1/9, as far as reliability. Maybe it is just that $70,000 cars aren't supposed to be bought for $3000, or there was a reason why it was buried in a farmer's barn. If I had to do it again, knowing what I know about the transmission, and electronics, I would gut the critter, and make it a beautiful yard ornament.........Mike

Old 09-01-2016, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Beautiful, classic vehicles that remain enjoyable to drive. But even with Jaguar's noted improvement in quality control during Ford's ownership period, still far more ongoing maintenance and repairs required than any other vehicle we've owned in nearly 47 years of driving (with the exception of one 2000 Lexus RX300 that was apparently a rare lemon). If you cannot DIY, do not even think about purchasing one. We will enjoy these two until they run their course in our stable but once they're gone, we're done with Jaguar....

Old 09-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by cyber3d
Any time I make another jaguar purchase, of an auto with more than 50,000 miles on it, I will have the suspension, brakes, and transmission rebuilt. Along with a new set of tires. Before anything else is done to it. That cost will be figured into any asking price.

I do hope never to part with my Jaguar. Love this car.

This was my first Jag and it probably won't be my last. I can't see selling it, either, even if someone offered me $5K more than I have in it. I only paid $4,500 for mine which was dirt cheap, but knowing what I know now, I probable could have got it for even cheaper. I felt bad for the seller and didn't try to low ball him.

I have an LS1 and T56 just waiting for something to break in the drivetrain, but so far I just get 24mpg and a smooth ride on my daily commute.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Love hate thing but have learned a lot and not terribly afraid to do repairs in the past I would have not.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

This is my third Jag. They all have their quirks. With the first it was the tappet guides that needed staking down. With the second it was the secondary timing chain tensioners and water pump. With this one it is the convertible top hydrolics and maybe some suspension bushings. But all in all, I think it's a great car once sorted out, and nothing like the feeling of driving and owning one. Jags have style. If I had to drive a Toyota life would be a little less fun.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Love it. I have owned many breeds but this one balances the tightrope of performance and luxury. Once the timing chains and transmission are sorted its good to go- might have a hiccup now and then but no more than my other cars. I am finding I want to do major work less and less as I get busier, so I am opting for cars with less work to be done when purchasing, and I *think* I have settled with what I want for a while.

The knowledge and helpfulness on this board make owning soooooo much easier.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:01 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I've owned 4 Jaguars:

1995 XJR (1997-2001)
1997 XK8 (2001-2004)
2011 XJL (2013-Current)
2003 XKR (2016-Current)

They are a bit pricey to fix but no worse than any other luxury car. The 03 XKR is the only "older" one that I have bought and owned. After purchase, I immediately put more than 50% of purchase price back into the car in service. It was a bit more than I expected (planed on 35%).

The 03 seemed to have a lot of deferred services and I am bringing it up to my standards.

That said, the Jag is pretty reasonable ownership wise vs its Italian garage companion :-)

If you don't love cars and really want them, Ferrari's and Jags are not for you.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

It is a somewhat exasperating experance. I purchased a well cared for 03 two years ago with 88K on the clock. Replaced all front end suspension parts, two door micro switches, had the roof latch rebuilt, one coil pack and changed the trans fluid. All other expenses have been regular maintenance items or me just playing around.

I get the random electrical gremlins from time to time, Windows need resetting, DSC fault but they are not a huge issues and are easily cleared.

Do I trust the car? Absolutely not! I'm always holding my breath every time I drive it waiting for something to go wrong.

Do I love the car? Absolutely! I love the look, the feel and the joy of owning a Jaguar, it gets looks and compliments every time I drive it. Just yesterday I stopped at an auto parts store to pick up some cleaning supplies, a "local" (I live on Maui) large man followed me into the store, he looked at me and said " Eaa brahhhh, that you car" I said yes and we went out and spent 20 minutes talking about thr Jag. Same day I stopped at Costco and a boy about 8 or so and his parents parked next to me, the kid could not stop looking at the Jag so I put the top down and let him sit in it, made his day!

I like to say "Anybody can drive a Corvette but it takes dedication to drive a Jaguar"

Old 09-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

after close to 4.5 years and an additional 67K miles I've added to the 91500 she had on her - still love driving her daily - even with a glitch here or there

Old 09-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

In the very short time I have owned mine.. I would say it's sexy and stressful :/

Love the look of the car.. LOVE MY CAR, wax.. polish.. leather treatment..changing all the fluids..but stress.. for example I have a date this weekend and the idea of parking my car at a crowded theater in a crappy part of town... I'm just waiting for someone to ding it or rip off the emblem

I don't regret it though.. it's a beautiful car.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:56 PM
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Absolutely love this car wish I could afford an XKR, but love every drive. I have done all major jobs myself and I'm not a trained mechanic. Had a few problems, bumps, scrapes, dents, don't care. I have driven many cars and Jags are a class on there own.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

i an proud to say i own a jag . love the looks when i get a take it out . and a blast to drive. a fair price i think.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I LOVE this car, but it scares the crapola out of me.
Runs perfect, looks magnificent, but as others have mentioned, I'm just waiting to get stuck on some deserted highway somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Aside from routine maintenance, I haven't had much trouble with my '97 in the 5 yrs I've owned it. Costs of about $2600 in repairs including a $1200 respray.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Bought mine last year at 36k miles it's been 1 1/2 years and I've done 54K now...so far has been a delight...so far I did:

the reluctor ring ($380) independent Jag
Passenger window switch ($250) Independent Jag
Transmission fluids and filter $900 @ European Tranny shop
some plastic parts that flew away on my road trip from PDX to LA because I went 100+ and 130 mph at time (the car was as stable as driving 80) $75
Thermostat housing because mine is showing small leak $120 DIY
New brake pads and slotted rotors (doesn't need changing) but I want to upgrade those anyway $600 DIY

So others are right, owning this car requires involvement on your part..this is not a drive and forget car...that's what Jap cars are for...this car is like having another girlfriend, you need to listen to her and figure out what she's trying to say and if you try to guess, often times you're wrong ...it's best to involve a counselor to figure out what she wants...but after all that time counseling turns out she just needs you to take her out more.

My next car will either be an 2009 XK or XKR or a Porsche Cayman S or 996 (this one will be like having a mistress)

Last edited by zidjan; 09-02-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

Your racist remarks are not welcome. There are a number of Japanese owners on this forum. And I for one don't like that sentiment.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
I LOVE this car, but it scares the crapola out of me.
LOL

I suspect such and similar sentiments are a symptom of frequenting forums where we're far more likely to encounter tales of leaky hoses and grenaded tensioners rather than glowing accounts of the last glorious road trip.

Perhaps I've been lucky. The XK and the X300 before it have both been very reliable. I chose to have a Jaguar because I've wanted one since I was at school, because of the IMHO superb body design and because it makes me feel good when I drive it. No particularly rational reasons there.

They are high-end, complex Grand Tourers; they are also now mostly at the point where the cumulative effects of wear and age mean that ongoing parts replacement is unavoidable.

For the foreseeable future, that's a price I'm happy to pay for my addiction.

Just my 2c..

Mike

Old 09-02-2016, 07:47 PM
Received 107 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Karma has been kind and unkind...

Hello Jaggers,
I am not well off, I live in a trailer (I mean manufactured home) in a nice strata park.
Our Jag has 280,000km on it. I am constantly looking after little things, mostly cosmetic as time takes it toll. Obviously I have attended to the usual wear points, suspension, radiator and such.
The LS1 we put in has been flawless for 3 seasons. I am confident to tour with Kitty at anytime, rain or shine.
As for the experience? Worth every jaw drop, smile, wave and thumbs up from folks who respect the brand or just admire her beauty.
I will never sell this car. I will retire soon and drive her into my sunset.

I am a so grateful for all the help I have received on this forum and I have tried to give back when I can.

Jaguars are truly dream cars and I feel very fortunate to have one. Especially up here in Canada where you just don't see too many of them.

Happy Jaggin' Folks!

Quick Reply: How would you describe your experience owning a jaguar?