XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't have to worry about a green shower anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
Default I don't have to worry about a green shower anymore...

... because it finally happened. Damn!

I use my top a lot during the summer and each time I put it up or down, I've always held my breath until the chime sounded the all-clear. I worried about the top even before I bought my car. I'd read the stories on the Forum and hoped against hope that my 2005 would not become a casualty. I installed the reducer valve and that made me feel a little better, but I still only put the top up with the engine off, in hopes of keeping the pressure as low as possible. I was not as concerned about putting the top down as I was under the (mistaken?) impression that the pressure spike was less when opening the latch as opposed to when closing it.

So, the other day the cloudy sky cleared up as I was leaving a parking lot – my sign to drop the top. Took a chance and pressed the button with the engine running. As I rolled along, the top opened as usual and I was surprised to feel a drop of rain on my arm. IF ONLY! Sure enough the overhead console was slowly dripping the green stuff. Fortunately it didn't make much mess as the drip was quite slow and I was able to hold a napkin on the console to sop it up. The (grey) fabric covering the top bar was wet but not soaked, and oddly enough, by the next day there was hardly any trace of the dampness. I won't even have to replace the fabric.

Browsing the Forum , I came across Dennis07's thread (Thanks Dennis!) on converting to a manually operated latch, and decided that's the route I'm taking. I don't have the time right now to redo the hoses, nor do I feel like shelling out the $$$. By removing the latch hoses from the pump and capping the ports, I can continue to enjoy top-down motoring until such time as I am motivated to do the job right. I spoke with Larry from Malone Specialties, as suggested in the thread. What a nice guy! I gather he and SteveInFrance had several discussions leading to the identifying of the correct parts needed to cap off the pump ports. (Thanks Steve!) Ordered the parts and they arrived in three days. The total came to $23, although the actual parts were only about $6.00. Malone has a reasonable minimum order requirement and the balance was UPS. $23 is still a lot less than about $400. (Thanks Larry!) The only mistake I made was in not ordering a couple of spares, in case I manage to drop one. For a additional $6, it would be good insurance.

I am hoping to do the fix this weekend and will report back on the results.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Sorry about your experience. Keep us posted on your conversion to a manual top. I've tried to convince my wife that this is the way to go once the green shower strikes. She stubbornly refuses to buy into my reasoning....

Old 07-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

I would urge every convertible owner to buy the caps BEFORE you need them. Because you will need them someday. And even if you plan on replacing the hoses, the caps will allow you to continue using the top until the new hoses are sourced and installed. And it'd be a good idea to pre-purchase a can of Pentosin to replace the fluid that gets lost in the shower.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Stamford
I would urge every convertible owner to buy the caps BEFORE you need them. Because you will need them someday. And even if you plan on replacing the hoses, the caps will allow you to continue using the top until the new hoses are sourced and installed. And it'd be a good idea to pre-purchase a can of Pentosin to replace the fluid that gets lost in the shower.
I think that's good advice. Instructions for capping the ports (takes 5 minutes, easily reversible), operating the top with the ports capped, and contact info for a supplier of the caps are all contained in the link in my sig. line below.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dennis07:
KiawahJoe (07-12-2023), max224 (07-20-2014), MRomanik (07-20-2014)