XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love my Jag, and I am happy

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts
Default I love my Jag, and I am happy

to report that I am not having any problems whatsoever!

Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Default OK, correction.

I don't actually love it, since in reality, I don't think that you should love an inanimate object, but I DO like it a lot, and I am very happy that I have one.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin D
I don't actually love it, since in reality, I don't think that you should love an inanimate object, but I DO like it a lot, and I am very happy that I have one.

My wife has always complained about the "relationships" I end up forming with my cars. I keep telling her to feel good about the fact that at least it is not another woman

Doug

Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

what year is yours?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

We need a thread for NO REPAIRS. Sorta like "x amount of days since last repair"

ha ha ha

Old 09-16-2009, 07:41 PM

Yes, it gets depressing to come on here and continually read about all of the problems that everyone is having. It makes me afraid to drive my Jag.

Mine is a 2001 that had 29,000 miles when I bought it a few months ago.

By a strange quirk of fate, I got a $17,500 income tax rebate and I have a Dodge van which is my work vehicle, which will contain between $50,000 to over $100,000 worth of product in it at any given time. (I have a wholesale distribution business) During the day, I am always in close proximity of the van as I go about my work. Anytime else, at nights or on the weekend or at the airport, I do not want to drive it and leave it somewhere where it could be broken into, so, I need another vehicle for those occasions.

I have always liked the XK8, and I do not think that it will depreciate over time, as most other vehicles will, so I was able to combine the practical with the whimsy. So far, it is all good.

Last edited by Kevin D; 09-22-2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Two things to remember about forums

Forums are great - I do all my own work on my XK8, Corvette, motorcycle, 2 jet skis, I/O Boat and more - and use forums frequently. I've noticed 2 things...

1. Forums serve to overstate the rate of problems. People experiencing trouble hit the boards looking for help. The thousands of people that aren't experiencing problems don't post. Hang around enough and you'll develop the impression that all the owners are having problems. Most of the time this isn't the case.

2. Some folks magnify their own problems. Frankly, some people that shouldn't be working on their cars do so anyway and resort to the forum after they have made a small problem greater than it ever was. You'll see cascading problems covering multiple pages starting from a hose change.

Both of these combine to make it appear that the model is full of problems, all of which are hard to fix.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I verily appreciate your thread and points of our members in this thread because it's a very rare occasion that some car owner log in or sign up in car forum and praise his / her car .
Mostly as pointed out , car owners become members and their 1st posts consists of complaints , anyway they are just owners but enthusiasm is a different level

Old 09-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin D
to report that I am not having any problems whatsoever!
2000 XK8 45K miles

Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

I'm feeling really good lately! Car is driving fantastic here also. BUT, that dang air bag light blinked at me the other day.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Knock on wood! (Burlwood) 2 Jaguars running great now!! I am happy too!!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

No problems here either, just some bugs on the nose that I need to clean off (the car not me )

Old 09-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Im happy as well. The XJ is running great as ever especially now that most correction has been done to it.

Im sure issues will come afloat but they are meant to be taken in stride.

As with any expensive brand, repairs and maintenance is expensive.
As with any used car, repairs and maintenance is expected.
As with any cars, quirks exist and if it wasnt taken care of at the time of warranty can be very troubling for the following owner. But again it falls into the previous owners lap for lack of will to sort the issues.

I love Jaguars and hopefully by days end ill have traded in my 08 civic for an older BMW so i can relieve the Jaguar of its daily driving duties and pass it over to my father.

One issue involving my car- my Jaguar has an OCD owner who wants to bring it back to a brandnew vehicle status, which is pretty entertaining at times and keeps him very busy. : )

Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I have found a few due to intense review to find them while warranty is still in force and had great help in their identification and permanent solutions here. All mechanical issues were handled by seller or local dealer under warranty to a much greater degree than any other vehicle I have owned, even though I am the second or third owner.

Also it must be realized that a luxury car forum is going to get a lot of griping over little stuff and a lot of "hey gee whiz, this part is expensive, any way to save it?"

As well as a concentration of problems naturally congregating at a site where people come to get help there is an open forum here where multiple points of view on how to seek a solution are expressedd freely, some involving anger or frustration at steps along the way to a solution. Usually in the spirit of tried this approach - didn't work.

Quite frankly I think these cars take a hit from days gone past where we have such a break as second owners they are great investments. Those who buy new and maintain them diligently probably have great results. If you buy it used, don't go through it front to back when you first get it, drive the crap out of it, don't check the oil, don't change the fluids, belts and hoses, it will probably last accordingly.

As there was no out of pocket cost except additional keys and programming. I would like to log in as a clear record since ownership began (two months). Actual last problem (transmisson additive for chirp) about 1 month however, car made the minor noise when I bought it, I just did not recognize as serious problem so it was not fixed on first "clean up visit" as I failed to mention it.

What it comes down to is anticipated operating cost over gas and insurance. Due to parts cost and possible issues with transmission, I picked up a warranty and averaging it out, looks like $0.058/mile for all major items. Even anticipating a drop of another 50% in value over next 60K miles, looking at depreciation of about $0.20/mile, I get to drive from 35,000 miles to 95,000 miles for $0.26/mile while new buyer drove from zero to 35,000 miles for about $2.00/mile.

A BMW might hold its value better but a second hand Jag is actually a better deal.

An admittedly biased opinion,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Problems

Count me in as a positive guy! I love both my Jags and prefer them sometimes to my wife depending on the mood.

The 99 XK8 with it's beautiful blue color and chrome wheels is the most beautiful car I have ever owned and I have had 62 of them. The VDP is a better car than I deserve so I feel lucky there too.

I have taken numberous 1,000-3,000 mile trips and there is just no substitute for that ride some DooWop in the CD, and just a feeling of pure pleasure.

Now sometimes I think that the XK is a former super model that has been in drug rehab and therefore can give you a surprise from time to time but I have always been able to keep up with it. Broken motor mounts, Gooey green stuff from the lines on the top, and a couple of others. Cheaper in the end than Botox, implants, and tucks and I am more willing to spend the money there.

lol