XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I never realized: Did you know that propane tanks fit standing up in trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default I never realized: Did you know that propane tanks fit standing up in trunk?

For the first time in a long while I have my trunk nice and organized, nothing on the floor. Today I had to go and fill a couple of propane tanks for my grill, so like I always do I opened the trunk and prepared to lay them down. The stuff around them in the trunk prevents rolling, plenty of room.

Today I have that cleared out trunk and as I started to load them, I thought to myself, I wonder.if . . . I stood one up by the back right corner and tried to close the lid. It worked!! You could feel the lining of the trunk lid just touching the top of the tank. Well, I added the 2nd tank, both are as far back against the "wall" as possible. Sure enough the trunk will close without any stress, the height of these tanks prevents any tilting or movement. It works perfectly!

You do have to place them as far back (meaning as close to fuel tank wall) as possible for that perfect fit, the space between the bottom of the trunk lid and the trunk floor decreases as you approach the rear of the car.

I figured there are one or two others out there who, like me, never even thought of this before, so I'm posting the happy finding. Makes it a lot easier to transport and gives you a lot more space for other stuff in the trunk- enjoy.

John

Old 10-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Johnken----

Glad to know that, but sure hope you always make sure your tanks are up to snuff as far as leaking, even just the slightest. I have seen the destructive results of just a small propane tank---not a pretty sight. Just a sniff in the trunk is enough to be ignited by the electrical sparks caused by electric trunk pop opens or the motor in the top mechanisms. So just to be a little on the safe side, us the truck with the open large bed, the next time, and leave the convertible for hauling around you and your girl/wife.

Chuck

The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck Schexnayder:
Johnken (10-07-2018), pvxkowner (10-09-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 12:39 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
Johnken----

Glad to know that, but sure hope you always make sure your tanks are up to snuff as far as leaking, even just the slightest. I have seen the destructive results of just a small propane tank---not a pretty sight. Just a sniff in the trunk is enough to be ignited by the electrical sparks caused by electric trunk pop opens or the motor in the top mechanisms. So just to be a little on the safe side, us the truck with the open large bed, the next time, and leave the convertible for hauling around you and your girl/wife.

Chuck
+1

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (10-07-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

No way are we transporting our propane tank in anything but the open bed of my Dodge Ram pickup. I built a wooden cradle for it and strap the cradle down with bungee cords during transport so there is no movement or shifting. Propane tanks are just too dangerous to transport inside vehicles, especially rather small vehicles. And with the XK8 battery located in the trunk, you are increasing your danger equation exponentially....

pvxkowner (10-09-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts
pvxkowner (10-09-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 04:18 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

in New York State the rule is that the tanks be placed on the rear seat, secured with a seatbelt and the neighboring window opened a few inches. in an SUV it is acceptable to carry the tank on the cargo area, closest window open a few inches. leaking propane in the trunk will settle low and be dangerously close to the battery in our cars along with those nice relays that were not designed to be explosion proof. do not do that again.

pvxkowner (10-09-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the caring cautions. I've got a peaceful 3 mile drive to fill the tanks and find using the trunk far easier than balancing a dirty tank on the leather.

This was posted as a fun did you know?
Like I said, i can see you mean well, thank you for that.

John

Old 10-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Thanks for the caring cautions. I've got a peaceful 3 mile drive to fill the tanks and find using the trunk far easier than balancing a dirty tank on the leather.

This was posted as a fun did you know?
Like I said, i can see you mean well, thank you for that.

John
Just flick a lighter close to the tank before you put it in the car. That way we can at least save the car.

pvxkowner (10-09-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Ha ha very funny Rothwell... I needed a laugh.

Tell you what, I promise to let you guys know when I blow up.

until then let's kill this thread. Seemed like an interesting finding, I didn't realize how much vertical space there was in there.

This horse is officially beaten to death, you made your point, I'm tired of bitting my tongue at the "warnings", and when I either come across propane sold without the Ethel mercaptan, or decide to store the tanks in there overnight, I'll be more sympathetic to your cautions regardless of distance traveled.

Let's move on.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 10-07-2018 at 10:58 PM.