Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Think My Transmission Was Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I Think My Transmission Was Slipping

My car is a 2006 XK8 with 55k miles.

Accelerating from a stop, my car hesitated slightly and jolted suddenly into gear. That didn't feel or sound good. I'm surprised that no indicator light came on at all. Thankfully, I was right around the corner from home. I parked it and haven't driven it since.

So scared of what I might hear in going into shop next week.

If the transmission is slipping, does that usually/always mean the transmission is shot? According to my records, the transmissin fluid was last checked (and okay) 2000 miles ago.

Can anyone lend any guidance as to what I might expect? Any recurring problems with the trans on this model?

Old 05-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experienced this is my 2001 xk8, starting out slowly, there is a sudden jolt as it finds the gear. It's a bit alarming, but that doesn't mean your transmission is going out.
It just slipped into gear a bit hard. You didn't do anything "wrong" and you can keep driving it. The lights will come on when you are low on fluid, and when a transmission goes out the car won't go into gear or shift. Take it out again and just keep a mental note of when it happens. My car does this occasionally shifting into second, but other than the jolt, there have been no problems.

The following users liked this post:
Samantha (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Not uncommon. Commonly referred to as the transmission jolt. There are many Technical Service Bulletins relating to this, but in many cases, none of these Jaguar TSB's help solve the problem. This is what happens when Jaguar insists on programming the transmission themselves instead of letting ZF, the makers of transmission, do it. This isn't so much a slipping issue as it is a learning / programming issue most likely. I've had this occasionally (as most or all have), and when it's wet out, my wheels squeek as if I'm trying to drive like a jerk.

The following 2 users liked this post by Red1bw:
PILLZ (06-07-2013), Samantha (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

+1 to Red1bw

I've had some odd transmission responses when the throttle input seems to fool the transmission electronics.

For something that unusual to concern a regular XK8 driver, I'm also surprised you didn't get a warning message. However, that's definitely good news. The Traction Control Module is programmed to enter 'safe mode' when a fault is detected.

The ZF6HP26 transmission is often described as 'bullet proof' but that may be because owners are only just starting to put some mileage on them.

If it's due in the shop next week, worth having the codes read to see if anything is stored or pending.

You mentioned fluid checked only 2k miles ago so unless there's a leak developed which you would almost certainly seen as pooling under the vehicle, the level is likely to be OK.

At 55k it's coming round to the time to be thinking about a fluid change. This isn't in the service schedules but many members are doing this as preventative maintenance.

Graham

Samantha (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Red1bw
Not uncommon. Commonly referred to as the transmission jolt. There are many Technical Service Bulletins relating to this, but in many cases, none of these Jaguar TSB's help solve the problem. This is what happens when Jaguar insists on programming the transmission themselves instead of letting ZF, the makers of transmission, do it. This isn't so much a slipping issue as it is a learning / programming issue most likely. I've had this occasionally (as most or all have), and when it's wet out, my wheels squeek as if I'm trying to drive like a jerk.

Thanks Red1bw, and everyone. So what then can I expect Jaguar to do to resolve the issue? Will they just re-program it? Call me a silly female, but I am uncomfortable driving the car too far. I'm going to take a spin around my community tomorrow with a very observant ear/eye. I'm recalling I noticed a hesitation about a month ago but wrote it off as a fluke. What happened last week was much more concerning and hard to write off as a fluke.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Samantha take a look at this site Jaguar S-Type ZF Gearbox Lurch fault
they are talking about an S Type but it's the same box.
See if you can identify with any of the variants they describe.
The dealer will probably do a reflash of your Transmission control module unless it has been done previously.
When you take your test drive try it in sports mode, several people have found that helps.
Let us know how it goes.

Samantha (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Samantha take a look at this site Jaguar S-Type ZF Gearbox Lurch fault
they are talking about an S Type but it's the same box.
See if you can identify with any of the variants they describe.
The dealer will probably do a reflash of your Transmission control module unless it has been done previously.
When you take your test drive try it in sports mode, several people have found that helps.
Let us know how it goes.

Thanks again. I will report back.

I looked at that link. That is exactly what I experienced.

This info helps so much. I hate to go into service unarmed with any information.

Last edited by Samantha; 05-19-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

If you make a complete stop, that may help avoid the rolling bump when you accelerate away.

Mine was more prominent before I did the fluid change myself, and I swear it was about a half-quart low when I refilled it back compared to what was removed. After that, the lurch was less likely to occur.

Also, they are always (it seems) upgrading the transmission control module software, so going in for a reflash and update may help tremendously, and have them check the fluid level while they've got it.

I found the ZF transmission adaptation procedure, but it will only help IF the adaptations are cleared, and contrary to what was posted on here previously by me, these adaptations can only be cleared using the dealer software - SDD/IDS. Afterward, the adaptation drive listed below 'teaches' it once again.

Attached Thumbnails I Think My Transmission Was Slipping-capture.jpg  

Last edited by H20boy; 04-18-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: cleared up statement about 'hard reset' clearing the transmission adaptations
The following 3 users liked this post by H20boy:
Samantha (05-22-2012), timmac69 (04-17-2013), volkris (12-06-2018)
Old 05-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

My car used to do that occasionally until I changed the transmission fluid. I don't think the fluid itself was at fault, I just think it was a little low.

You say the fluid level was checked 2000 miles ago, but how did they check it? There is no transmission dipstick on your car, so to check it they have to raise the car while it's COLD, remove the fill plug with the engine running and the transmission in gear, and then monitor the drips from the fill plug as the transmission warms up to a certain temperature (as measured by a fancy computer hooked to your car). This isn't something that they do at Jiffy Lube or Firestone. Unless the dealer told you that they checked the level, I doubt it actually got checked.

Samantha (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 09:46 AM

Reverend Sam, I often wonder whether the proper work was performed on my car. How do we really know what's going on back there? The last time, they kept my car for the whole day. I picked it up the next morning, so it was at least possible.

I don't go to the Jiffy Lube-type places. Don't trust them with the car. It's either the dealer or a very reputable foreign car repair shop I use.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by H20boy
If you make a complete stop, that may help avoid the rolling bump when you accelerate away.

Mine was more prominent before I did the fluid change myself, and I swear it was about a half-quart low when I refilled it back compared to what was removed. After that, the lurch was less likely to occur.

Also, they are always (it seems) upgrading the transmission control module software, so going in for a reflash and update may help tremendously, and have them check the fluid level while they've got it.

I found the ZF transmission adaptation procedure, if you want to do this yourself before going to the dealer, you can sure try. Just do a hard reset on the computer's first, remove and touch the negative cable to the positive terminal on the battery and hold for a few seconds. Then do the adaptation drive listed below.

H20boy, thanks for the tip, but not exactly my cup of tea. :-(

Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

My 05 has a slight lurch right when rolling to a stop, but it's relatively minor. It feels like someone hits my rear end really lightly. It's so minor, I figured it was just a quirk...

Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A freind of mine had that issue on his Ford 250. Just as it started moving it felt like a slip in the tranny then a slam like a clutch. He took it in to the dealer and sure enough just need reprogramming. It drives absolutely perfect again. Amazing, everything now runs on software.

Samantha (05-29-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Happened upon this thread and wow. Buy your own trans dip stick from Eurotoyz. My recommendation once you know your fluid is ok, go out and rip your car through the gears, manual down shifting and manual upshifting/straight piece of highway, both in sport and normal . 3 seperate times in each.

GL

Samantha (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

rlover, is this your theory or a documented procedure? just askin...

Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I suggest having the fluid drained and filled with the ZF fluid and the filter pan replaced. This behavior can be a sticking clutch pack in the transmission and it is caused by old fluid with worn out friction modifiers. I had this problem with both my cars and the fluid and pan change corrected it. The 6HP26 kit is available from "the CTSC" online for about $250 and the labor runs about $200. It is my recommendation that you get a new electronics connector sleeve for about $20 form CTSC as well and have it replaced too, as they ofter start leaking at about your mileage. They can only be changed when the pan is off so it is smart to do it all together. The labor for the sleeve ran me $75.

Samantha (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rlover
Happened upon this thread and wow. Buy your own trans dip stick from Eurotoyz. My recommendation once you know your fluid is ok, go out and rip your car through the gears, manual down shifting and manual upshifting/straight piece of highway, both in sport and normal . 3 seperate times in each.

GL

Hmmm, as I commented in #11, not something for me. I drive it but am forced to have some smart guys somewhere fix it - if I'm lucky..

Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

She is going to be told by the Jaguar dealer service that the transmission "is sealed for life" and that it is not "needed". They do not want the liability. But he is right all transmission fluid should be changed every 60,000 miles and the rear end fluid at 60k as well. "but they will tell you it is not required".. I believe however the filter is built into the trans pan "not a 100% sure" and that they will charge $995.00 for pan and $400.00 in service. That is what they charged me for my S-Type-R. "it was like brandnew afterwards" I had to sign a waiver for them to do it.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Rlover
She is going to be told by the Jaguar dealer service that the transmission "is sealed for life" and that it is not "needed". They do not want the liability. But he is right all transmission fluid should be changed every 60,000 miles and the rear end fluid at 60k as well. "but they will tell you it is not required".. I believe however the filter is built into the trans pan "not a 100% sure" and that they will charge $995.00 for pan and $400.00 in service. That is what they charged me for my S-Type-R. "it was like brandnew afterwards" I had to sign a waiver for them to do it.
The filter is a part of the pan. The pan and the ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid (6 liters) cost $240 from CTSC, the sleeve was another $15. I use an independent Jag shop for this and the labor there was a little under $200 for the pan and fluid change and $75 for the sleeve installation. This is a common price for the work. Dealers are too expensive to be doing simple fluid changes, and the guys that do them there are often grease monkeys. Independent shops usually use techs to do all the work, with the chance for better results.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
MrS
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my '03 XK did this exact thing today.

Quick Reply: I Think My Transmission Was Slipping