XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my mesh grilles this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installed my mesh grilles this weekend

Got them from Mina. Pictures in the gallery. They were packed ok as long as no one crushes the box. They were not packed in foam as the exhaust was. They come with a bracket and fastener kit. There isn’t much to it. Remove the chrome horizontal piece and the 2 black plastic “over riders” as they call them. The chrome piece is held on by 8mm bolts. The over riders are held on by plastic rivets. I used a chisel to shear the heads off. You will have to maneuver the bumper cover to remove the over riders, it is flexible enough. The aluminum brackets beneath are un-painted and you should get some flat black spray paint to cover them. I used the cardboard from the box to mask off the front end. Now is a good time to clean out the junk that got trapped in the radiator

Position the upper grille and mark the holes. Count mesh holes to make the mounting screws even. In my case the first screw for the kit broke and I decided to you some stainless self tapping bolts I had. I ended up just drilling some pilot holes with the grille in place then drilled in the self tappers. The screws in the kit would be less obtrusive but they weren’t strong enough to be screwed into the hole. But I think I have a better way.

On the lower grille I was not able to use the bracket without drilling holes in the bumper cover itself. I was not about to do that so I used stainless wire to hold it on. It works great as there are 3 vertical pieces to tie to in the lower opening. And the wire is next to invisible. I may do the same to the upper grille and get rid of the bolts all together. The lower dust cover will need to be loosened to work on the lower grille
That’s it. I think it looks great and even the bolts don’t bother me. In the pic I had painted them black but didn’t like the look so I removed the paint. This took about 2.5 hours total.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How about some pics?

Old 05-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The pictures are in the gallery

Old 05-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smith_mike
Got them from Mina. Pictures in the gallery. They were packed ok as long as no one crushes the box. They were not packed in foam as the exhaust was. They come with a bracket and fastener kit. There isn’t much to it. Remove the chrome horizontal piece and the 2 black plastic “over riders” as they call them. The chrome piece is held on by 8mm bolts. The over riders are held on by plastic rivets. I used a chisel to shear the heads off. You will have to maneuver the bumper cover to remove the over riders, it is flexible enough. The aluminum brackets beneath are un-painted and you should get some flat black spray paint to cover them. I used the cardboard from the box to mask off the front end. Now is a good time to clean out the junk that got trapped in the radiator

Position the upper grille and mark the holes. Count mesh holes to make the mounting screws even. In my case the first screw for the kit broke and I decided to you some stainless self tapping bolts I had. I ended up just drilling some pilot holes with the grille in place then drilled in the self tappers. The screws in the kit would be less obtrusive but they weren’t strong enough to be screwed into the hole. But I think I have a better way.

On the lower grille I was not able to use the bracket without drilling holes in the bumper cover itself. I was not about to do that so I used stainless wire to hold it on. It works great as there are 3 vertical pieces to tie to in the lower opening. And the wire is next to invisible. I may do the same to the upper grille and get rid of the bolts all together. The lower dust cover will need to be loosened to work on the lower grille
That’s it. I think it looks great and even the bolts don’t bother me. In the pic I had painted them black but didn’t like the look so I removed the paint. This took about 2.5 hours total.

Very Informative Write Up....I'm headin to tha Gallery now