XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Intermittent Fault

Hi. I recently picked up my "new" 2000 XK8 from a private seller and took it straight to my trusted local garage for cam chain chain tensioners replacement, plus a complete service and check-over, prior to a planned lengthy continental trip.

About 2/3 rds of the way to the garage, the engine went into "get you home mode" and a sign appeared stating that "Traction Control " and "ASC (??) Control" were disabled. I stopped the engine for about 10 minutes and then was able to carry on OK for about another 10 minutes, when again it lost power and the signs re-appeared.
I was able to limp to the garage, and left it to their tender mercies.

The previous owner had told me that he had just had his garage put it through an engine diagnostics check and had replaced all the coils (from his other (roadster) XK. I had test- driven it with no hiccups for several miles before taking delivery. A layman's question arises - did they miss another fault that caused an apparent coil problem?

Could anyone advise me if their are any suggestions I could pass on to my own people to assist in sorting this out? Although they have their own diagnostic equipment, I do not have 100% faith that these can always pick up intermittent glitches.With a long journey ahead of us, I would not look forward to being stranded in some foreign land!
Any help or pointers would be very much appreciated.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The subtext here is that the previous owner was having ignition problems and replaced the coils with used ones from his other XK8. He presumably treated his other XK8 to the new coils he should have fitted to yours! However, the extended test drive should have revealed if there was still an ignition issue.

Just a thought. Did you buy the vehicle on the spot and take it away immediately after the test drive ........?

TRAC and ASC faults are a regular issue and could be little more than dirty wheel speed sensors / harness link connectors or a partially discharged battery. No doubt a bit of a heart stopper for you on the way home but unlikely to be an indication of impending doom and huge bills.

I can't understand your scepticism about diagnostics. The alternative is a ouija board or crystal ball.

Stored or pending codes will tell you a great deal more about the vehicle than the PO did.

Graham

Old 04-23-2014, 03:02 AM

Hi, Graham. As ever, you manage to make your replies succinct and humorous - not to mention "pointed"!! Many thanks for your continued interst and help.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:07 AM

ham -Sorry p.s. Ps Yes, I had been in touch with the seller over a number of weeks, but did have a test drive and took the car on the same day, having seen the new MOT, its notes and emissions etc.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:15 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Yep....agree with GGG, wheel speed sensor or dirty tone ring.

The following users liked this post:
ukdude (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 05:08 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by ukdude
ham -Sorry p.s. Ps Yes, I had been in touch with the seller over a number of weeks, but did have a test drive and took the car on the same day, having seen the new MOT, its notes and emissions etc.
Good - I was thinking you may not have collected exactly the same car you tested. Many years of buying used cars has made me too cynical.

Do you have time available after the tensioners are done to put some miles on before leaving for Spain? Getting to code P1111 where all OnBoard monitoring tests are completed will also throw up other relevant codes if anything is amiss. If there are none, you will have a much more relaxed and enjoyable journey.

Graham

Old 04-23-2014, 06:23 AM

Graham. - many, many thanks for your kind guidance. What would we do without you??
Ray