XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ION Bluetooth cassette reverses

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ION Bluetooth cassette reverses

1998 XK8, I never tried the cassette player.

Bought an ION to get bluetooth from my iPhone and when I tried it, it sounds like it is trying to reverse sides.

Went and found a cassette and tried it, and it does the same thing on Side 1. If I try to go to Side 2 it just flips to Side 1 and then continues to try to reverse. It never displays Side 2, just clicks and stays on Side 1 but pauses the playing during that time.

For the heck of it I flipped the ION around and it did the same thing, started on side 2 then flipped to side 1 and every few seconds pauses like its trying to change tracks or sides.

I suspect the fix for this predates the existence of forums , but thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

You probably have dust and dirt in the deck. You can try cleaning the head first and capstan as well as any other item you can reach with qtip/isp alcohol, If the problem is internal you may have to remove the deck (forum has procedure) and clean lube inside mechanisms. After all it's 15+ yrs old. I just received my BT cassette yesterday and works great, kinda wish the battery life was longer than 4-5 hrs since I do take long trips, even if they'd put a adapter that would come out to a charger would have been nice. For day to day driving it will be great.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:14 PM

Thanks Jamdmyers. I'll give that a try.

Actually what I have set up for charging is I bought an adapter on Amazon for cigarette lighter that provides two light adapters and two USB charging ports. So I am going to plug the cassette adapter into one of the usb ports and use the other for my iPhone or iPod (I have more music available on my iPod). My feeling is I don't mind the extra cabling since it's only out when I'm driving, when stopped just toss it all into the glovebox or trunk.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I too have the duel charger, but I'm not sure and haven't tried having the power plugged in and the cassette loaded if it fits. Find out this weekend while were on a road trip !

Old 10-02-2014, 06:08 PM

Cleaning didn't help, guess I'll have to take it apart. I realized after my last post, you can't charge the Ion while it's loaded because there is not enough room for the connector to drop down with the cassette. As long as I have it out, I just might take my dremmel to the front of the cassette and notch it to accept the power plug.