XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iphone 5S Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Iphone 5S Adapter

A few weeks or months ago, I was thinking of upgrading the stock radio on my XKR to something that has Bluetooth and Pandora, but did not like the "after market" look of what's out there. Ideally, it would have been great if our cars had a USB port, to allow Iphone integration. No such luck. The technology of the 90's did not envision that one day, music would be streamed via wireless internet to our smart phones. Anyway, I decided that I should go the Iphone route and keep the old stereo.
I found a place that pretty much can do anything on or to a car for a price, except I did not want to pay all that much. Long story short, the owner of the shop modified the little black coin holder, under the stereo system, to accept an Iphone 5S. He used the following part to make the CD changer useless: iP-JAGCD iPod Adapter for Select Jaguar with CD Auto Changer :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces
When the source is set to the CD Changer, the music off my Iphone is played through the stereo - including Pandora and Google Music. Very cool. The connection worked for a whole 2 hours, before the dreaded little message on the Iphone stated that I am using a non-certified lightning cable. That's when things started going AWOL . I can't get more than 5 minutes worth of audio, before the music stops and Apple reminds me that a bad lightning wire is used. So I have to go back to the shop that installed this thing to see if they can modify the arrangement and install a certified Apple lightning cable. I'm attaching a few pictures below, in case someone is interested to go a similar route. BTW, if you're using an older Iphone, you should not have the Apple cord compatibility issue that I am having.

NOTE TO MODERATOR: Please rotate pictures 2 & 3 (Thanks!)

Attached Thumbnails Iphone 5S Adapter-image3.jpeg   Iphone 5S Adapter-image4.jpeg   Iphone 5S Adapter-image5.jpeg   Iphone 5S Adapter-image6.jpeg   Iphone 5S Adapter-image1.jpeg  

Iphone 5S Adapter-image2.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
stevenadamsatl (04-14-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

The linked site you provided states that phones with the lightning connector will need an adapter. Did they install this? I would assume so since you clearly can plug in.

It could be some software compatibility issue as Apple does not like foreign objects in its world. I know this, I have a Mac, iPod, iPad and iPhone.

I would check out the iPod adapter's manufacturer site first to see if they have a downloadable fix.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks Mike,
I'm certain that an adapter was used. However, I'm not sure that it was an original Apple adapter - most likely it was not. I'll be going back to the place that installed the setup for a resolution.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the 5s also. I think you will either have to replace the adapter with and apple product or wait for a jailbreak for this model ( you might have to wait a very long time).

Brett