XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its 2018 Its Time To Modernize And Upgrade Your XK With LED DRL Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 06:14 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

great installation, looks like it comes from the factory. some countries use the running lights in addition to the headlight DRL's as it gives more contrast to the side and rear views. might do what you did when i get around to restoring the headlights. thanks.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:20 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteHat
great installation, looks like it comes from the factory. some countries use the running lights in addition to the headlight DRL's as it gives more contrast to the side and rear views. might do what you did when i get around to restoring the headlights. thanks.

Yeah it does look like it come from the factory. One of the best mods hands down it adds a modern touch to your XK.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb The Halo-Llight Man.....

JagXKR2fast,
Hey! Are you working for CARiD or one of the Companies that sell these Halo Light things? My Heavens, I've never seen someone so sold on something like you are...…

I'm through with this Thread.....signing off now!

Billy Clyde

Old 08-22-2018, 10:29 PM
Banned

@bcprice36

Unless you have them on your car aint no telling what you may like. I like em and several others. A car wasn't designed just for the owner to keep its original factory looks. Theres a reason why car modification culture is supreme.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
glandanielxk8,

Why not try replacing the Bulbs and Ballast in your HID Low Beam Lights and then replace your High Beams with an LED Kit....then adjust the Headlight up a little....You'll be one Happy Puerto Rican when you drive your XK8 at Night!!

Billy Clyde

Any bulb and ballast vendor that is suggested? I would like either 5500k or 6000k white light. I'm actually happy with my current high beams. Those light up for miles.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:20 AM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts
Wink

To each his own. I bought my XK8 because of the classic look and all around design. If I wanted a new look vehicle, I'd buy one.

The following users liked this post:
zray (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scottsgreenjag
To each his own. I bought my XK8 because of the classic look and all around design. If I wanted a new look vehicle, I'd buy one.
Understood it still the same classic look and all around design just with a modern upgrade to the headlights thats all.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottsgreenjag
Exactly ! I've been involved privately and professionally with classic cars for over 50 years. My one take-away is the shortsightedness of modifying classic cars so they have some qualities of more modern cars. If you can't live without modern engineering and conveniences, then buy a modern car, don't rip the soul out of a classic. If that sounds harsh, well, it is harsh, plain talk often is lacking in diplomacy. My bad.

Inevitably, the result of modernization modifications is a poor mish-mash combination of classic and modern which has all the elegant engineering & attractiveness of Dr. Frankenstein' monster.

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast
Understood it still the same classic look and all around design just with a modern upgrade to the headlights thats all.
if you don't intrinsically understand why modern LED lighting looks "odd", or "misguided" on an otherwise classic design, then anything you read here will never sink in.

No one is saying you can't do what you want with your own car. Perhaps a better analogy should be to ask, "...would you feel OK about buying the Mona Lisa then putting lipstick on it because it looks "dated" otherwise ?...."

Z

just my 2 cents.

z

Old 08-23-2018, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zray

Exactly ! I've been involved privately and professionally with classic cars for over 50 years. My one take-away is the shortsightedness of modifying classic cars so they have some qualities of more modern cars. If you can't live without modern engineering and conveniences, then buy a modern car, don't rip the soul out of a classic. If that sounds harsh, well, it is harsh, plain talk often is lacking in diplomacy. My bad.

Inevitably, the result of modernization modifications is a poor mish-mash combination of classic and modern which has all the elegant engineering & attractiveness of Dr. Frankenstein' monster.

if you don't intrinsically understand why modern LED lighting looks "odd", or "misguided" on an otherwise classic design, then anything you read here will never sink in.

No one is saying you can't do what you want with your own car. Perhaps a better analogy should be to ask, "...would you feel OK about buying the Mona Lisa then putting lipstick on it because it looks "dated" otherwise ?...."

Z

just my 2 cents.

z

You been to a classic car show recently ? A lot of classic car owners mod there cars with modern features from the interior to the exterior. I don't understand whats the big deal is its still the same classic looking design. I met someone with a 1965 Mustang and they did all the lighting for the most part LED the car looked modern in a classic body.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

You been to a classic car show recently ? A lot of classic car owners mod there cars with modern features from the interior to the exterior. I don't understand whats the big deal is its still the same classic looking design. I met someone with a 1965 Mustang and they did all the lighting for the most part LED the car looked modern in a classic body.

yes, I've been to a few thousands car shows. The most highly prized cars are always the ones without modernizations.

But in any case, i dont change my views based on what any majority says is the latest trend. Not a lemming.

again, just my observations based on experience. I'm not trying to do anything beyond express a viewpoint.

Z

Old 08-23-2018, 12:04 PM
Banned

yes, I've been to a few thousands car shows. The most highly prized cars are always the ones without modernizations.

But in any case, i dont change my views based on what any majority says is the latest trend. Not a lemming.

again, just my observations based on experience. I'm not trying to do anything beyond express a viewpoint.

Z
Plenty of XK owners have done this mod

Last edited by jagxkrtoofast; 08-23-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Received 4,181 Likes on 3,644 Posts

and you asked for opinions - folks are providing. There may be 50 that made the mod - doesn't mean the rest will or that it will change opinions. Let's move on

The following 3 users liked this post by sklimii:
bcprice36 (08-23-2018), Scottsgreenjag (08-24-2018), zray (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

".......Plenty of XK owners have done this mod.......
With all due respect,

and your point is ???

Plenty of people run red lights, beat their wives, and vote for lunatics. That doesn't mean I'm going to do the same, or throw away 50+ years of knowledge of the classic car marketplace and butcher good styling so I can follow a transitory trend"

relax, plenty of people right here on the forum like the same things you do, so why knock yourself out trying to convince me you made a great move ? I posted several days ago that my opinions were likely to be in the minority, and being in the minority is a source of lasting satisfaction for me.

It's your Mona Lisa, so get out the lipstick and have a ball.

as suggested, am moving on (to pressing mechanical questions.)

Z

Last edited by zray; 08-23-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:14 PM
Banned

With all due respect,

and your point is ???

Plenty of people run red lights, beat their wives, and vote for lunatics. That doesn't mean I'm going to do the same, or throw away 50+ years of knowledge of the classic car marketplace and butcher good styling so I can follow a transitory trend"

relax, plenty of people right here on the forum like the same things you do, so why knock yourself out trying to convince me you made a great move ? I posted several days ago that my opinions were likely to be in the minority, and being in the minority is a source of lasting satisfaction for me.

It's your Mona Lisa, so get out the lipstick and have a ball.

as suggested, am moving on (to pressing mechanical questions.)

Z
What mods have you done on your car ?

Old 08-23-2018, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

What mods have you done on your car ?

only one. I removed the hood liner due to a known issue with the intercooler hoses being abraded by the un-intended contact with the liner. I first tried to re-orient the hoses, which made no difference, and then checked the liner for loose attachments, and all of the pins were tight. So I removed it. Others have cut out sections of the liner where the contact was happening. I'm not sure I want to cut up an original part, so for now I removed it.

Otherwise, no modifications, just replacing maintenance items, like battery, ECM fan, oil, filters, disc rotors and pads. Stuff like that.

My preference is to enjoy cars as time machines. For example, when I drive an e type from 1967, I want to experience the car exactly as it was experienced in 1967, or as close to that as possible. I have the same philosophy for the 2002 XKR.

YMMV,

regards,

Z.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:46 PM
Banned

Here is an example of one of the most classic rarest Jags XJ220 only 281 ever produced and several have been updated with modern with LED Headlights. Still same classic styling and design with modern touch. This simple mod doesn't take anything away from the car styling in fact it enhances the look.

toaster (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

".......Here is an example of one of the most classic rarest Jags XJ220 only 281 ever produced and several have been updated with modern with LED Headlights. Still same classic styling and design with modern touch. This simple mod doesn't take anything away from the car styling in fact it enhances the look.
the 220 is a good example of a rare car thats not a classic . Perhaps the definition of "classic" should be revisited before it's used.

as far as the LED lights enhancing a cars look goes, that's been rehashed enough already don't you think ?

when a moderator weighs in, it's time to move on.

later.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

All of us are never going to be attracted by the same things. You made the mod because it appealed to you, you should not require anybody else's approval and nor should it be demanded.

The following 3 users liked this post by baxtor:
Scottsgreenjag (08-24-2018), sklimii (08-24-2018), zray (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 05:09 AM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts

Geeze. You asked what we thought, we responded. Get over it. I'm outa here.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Courtesy and manners

I urge all to remember our manners and respect for other members. What someone decides to do with their private property is his business. If asked to respond it is proper to be honest. I don't much care for the lighting upgrade but, hey, I don't like progressive rock(or much else progressive). So, I don't listen to it. If you decide to paint your car fluorescent purple and but a penguin on the hood, fine. Let's keep it civil and respectful.
the Old Southern Boy

sklimii (08-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Its 2018 Its Time To Modernize And Upgrade Your XK With LED DRL Headlights