XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

its not all bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Default its not all bad

I had craved a Jaguar XK8 for years. Loved the car then ended buying one on ebay after spending months researching their history. Once buying it and after reading lots of negative things about it on this website, I put the car in storage for 6 months and when I finally drove it I was constantly looking for car or engine failure messages. Did my head in. Purely because of the negative feedback on the forum. TO be fair I have driven this car for 2 years and done 20000 miles and it had never let me down once. This is a great first turn of the key car and just keeps working. I know others have been put off by the history but these are great cars and I am immensely proud to own and drive one. I have read other comments from owners based on the negativity that are scared of driving these cars. We should shout more about how these are great cars and not about the problems. And come on nothing on this planet looks as beautiful as an XK8/R

The following 9 users liked this post by millhouse_corfe:
Andy Cox (05-06-2014), Bob OB (05-05-2014), Fulton (05-06-2014), Norri (05-06-2014), oyster (05-06-2014), preuss2 (05-06-2014), SanDiegoMac (05-05-2014), sklimii (05-06-2014), The Coupe (05-06-2014) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I couldn't agree more. Thank you for posting this.

I think there is not a more gorgeous car on the road than the 1996-2006 XK series. Plus, I think it's combination of handling, ride and comfort is unexcelled. Remember, it is a high performance GT cruiser, not a tight twisties near-race car.

There really doesn't seem to be more trouble with them than comparable vehicles of other brands, even less than some bigger names from what I've seen.

One thing about this forum, tho', that people need to keep in mind, is that it is comprised of enthusiasts. We dwell on and fix things that a lot of other brands' owners would either ignore or let the dealer fix for them.

Also, lots of us come here to discuss and learn how to fix problems that would otherwise not be publicized. Wonderful that the forum, and its many, many very astute and knowledgeable members are here to help each other out.

This forum is one of the very best I've ever seen, and a godsend to all of us owners and enthusiasts. As you say, tho', it is perhaps part of its utility that can make our cars look a bit worse than they really are in reality. Overall, I think they are better than most similar cars from other brands.

The following 2 users liked this post by SanDiegoMac:
Norri (05-06-2014), preuss2 (05-06-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

I agree with both of you, I'm still waiting on my recent purchase to arrive, 03 XK8, being shipped from CA. While a few things discussed on the forum have scared me that's the way of forums. Not intensional but as mentioned forums are made up of folks who care about their cars and want to understand and share the experance.

I can't wait to get mine and enjoy the experance both good and bad.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoMac
I couldn't agree more. Thank you for posting this.

I think there is not a more gorgeous car on the road than the 1996-2006 XK series. Plus, I think it's combination of handling, ride and comfort is unexcelled. Remember, it is a high performance GT cruiser, not a tight twisties near-race car.

There really doesn't seem to be more trouble with them than comparable vehicles of other brands, even less than some bigger names from what I've seen.

One thing about this forum, tho', that people need to keep in mind, is that it is comprised of enthusiasts. We dwell on and fix things that a lot of other brands' owners would either ignore or let the dealer fix for them.

Also, lots of us come here to discuss and learn how to fix problems that would otherwise not be publicized. Wonderful that the forum, and its many, many very astute and knowledgeable members are here to help each other out.

This forum is one of the very best I've ever seen, and a godsend to all of us owners and enthusiasts. As you say, tho', it is perhaps part of its utility that can make our cars look a bit worse than they really are in reality. Overall, I think they are better than most similar cars from other brands.
I can't agree with you more. Most definately the best looker out there. I searched 7 months for my baby I have just bought. I just love that grill up front, it has that modern yet classical look. Does not matter what model, the XK8/R is always a head turner.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

The thing to keep in mind is that much of the forum traffic is driven by questions about how to fix something and much less about happy trouble free miles.

This will be one thread to watch. 6500 miles, he must think it's a car or something.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4-trip-117199/

Old 05-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 52 Likes on 13 Posts

This is just my own personal opinion and we Texans are, if anything, opinionated individuals who offer them up "asked or unasked".

For me, the XKR was 100% a purely emotional purchase having nothing to do with logic, practicality, reliability, trackability, raw speed, prestige, or popularity.

Years ago when I first laid eyes on an XK8 my knees buckled.... and then when I saw the XKR the drool started and my eyes glazed over. I've seen very few cars that can match its balanced combination of class, power, beauty and sex-on-wheels effect. It's as gorgeous (and in some ways even more gorgeous to me) as the XK-E's that I remembered from younger days. It took many years of purchase price depreciation and a bit of luck for me to come even close to affording one. I found one that was a bit neglected and bought it without a moments hesitation.

I knew about a lot of the potential issues, read the horror stories, plastic tensioners giving way and ruining engines, mysterious codes, green showers, quirky electronics and the entire laundry list of its imperfections.
And... I didn't care.. didn't give a damn.. and still don't. I'll address whatever comes my way, as needed, as my budget permits (I'll bitch about it and get over it) simply because I love the damn thing and I could sit there for hours just staring at it. I have a blast driving it. I smile on the way to the car, I smile when I'm driving it, and I look over my shoulder one last time, every time, as I'm walking away from it. That's how I can tell that "perfect or imperfect" I have the right car for me.

It's a car that's quick enough, fast enough, agile enough, comfortable enough, and certainly beautiful enough ... and there's also that feeling of ... "holy sh-t I'm driving around in a genuine work of art" .

This forum is has a collection of wisdom that's priceless. The members are first rate, the willingness of others to assist everyone is unmatched, and I think a lot of the "negativity" isn't even negative.. it's simply advice, assistance and experience with things and warnings about how to prevent problems or resolutions to an issue. Remember.. some of us were unable to purchase an XK8/R when new.. we "rescued them" and are doing our best to bring them back and improve their condition. Generally a "rescue" has an issue or two (or three or four... LOL ).

The following 2 users liked this post by zjdmm1:
preuss2 (05-06-2014), sklimii (05-06-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I couldn't agree more about the classic looks of this series. I bought my 2002 XKR by putting a ridiculously low offer on the car knowing that it had no chance of meeting the reserve. I had never looked at one closely, never researched the pitfalls, just fell in love with the photos, and thought I'd have some fun bidding. To my great surprise, the day after the auction ended well below the reserve, I received an email that they would sell at the price of the winning bid. It, at the time, was probably $7000 below market. In somewhere around 5 years of ownership I have driven it a lot. I bought it with 62,000 miles on it, and I have over 145,000 miles on it now. I have experienced all of the well known problems with these cars including the "green" shower, broken tensioners and timing chain, abs module failure,.............(lot of dots to cover lots of problems), and still think this is the best car I have ever owned! It runs better now than it did when I bought it, it still looks like a new car, it receives daily (if not hourly compliments), and with the relatively huge trunk for a convertible, it easily swallows up two sets of golf clubs for me and my oldest friend every weekend. I drove to one of our properties north of Bakersfield today, about a 2 hour trip in each direction, and much of the trip was spent at speeds 20-30mph over the limit (65-70 are the posted limits along the route) at more than 25mpg. Last month, while working up north, I put 3000 miles on it in a 10 day stretch.

It's just plain wonderful! in spite of its flaws. In fact, I like it so much, I am purchasing a 2010 5liter XKR coupe to drive a couple of days per week to hopefully extend my 2002's life. Although I have no doubt based on the strength of its current performance that 200,000-300,000 miles is certainly within reach. Can you say, "CLASSIC!"

Attached Thumbnails its not all bad-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg   its not all bad-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg   its not all bad-dscf1057-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 12:59 AM
Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by tberg
...my 2002 XKR ... broken tensioners and timing chain..

I have the same car as you, a dark red 2002 XKR Cab, black inside.

Some say the last model 4.0 xkr had the metal tensioners mounted as standard from 13aug01. That is what I thought so I have not checked mine. What is your Engine serial no? (Mine is 011219... so I allways thought it was ok)

Old 05-06-2014, 02:57 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I've owned mine for 3yrs now and only one time did it give me a challenge, but with the help & input of fellow owners on this forum I fixed it for next to nothing....never left me stranded, 1st time on the key even after 6months in the garage & always gives me a big grin when I go past them big shop windows. The secret to any car is "look after it & it will look after you," neglect it and it will bite you up the !!!

Old 05-06-2014, 05:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a total youtube mechanic and I am trying jobs I never would because of this forum. The people here are very generous and make owning this car very satisfying . Used Jaguars are very reasonable I think because of the cost to have someone else work on them. With the community here, lots of jobs are within reach of the home mechanic. I am a total noob but am learning a lot. David

Old 05-06-2014, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Gentlemen, I agree also! After spending countless hours fixing the common issues over the winter. Cam Chain tensioners, water pump, thermostat housing, tunnel hoses. Total cost of less then $500. I finally had a chance last Sunday to take her for a shake down cruise of 100 miles. The XK8 performed like a new car, no codes, no leaks, nothing but pure enjoyment. Even at 16 years old she draws a crowd of admirers at every stop. The first generation XKs are simply a joy to own and drive, all for the price of a nice used Kia.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

We purchased my wife's XK8 in February 2012 with 36,000 miles on the clock. After doing my research here in the XK8/XKR section prior to purchase, I knew I would be spending a number of months finding, researching, and tackling the issues that these cars tend to come with. That was indeed the case and as the issues were addressed one by one, the car gradually settled down and became the gorgeous daily driver that my wife has always wanted it to be. As it approaches 80,000 miles now, it requires much less of my time today than it did throughout 2012 when I was having to address a number of the well-known shortcomings (headrest motor cable repair, A-pillar recovering, console leather removal/restoration, battery replacement, air intake duct replacement, brake pedal switch replacement, and lousy capped lug nut replacement are a few of the required tasks that come to mind)....

While I still fear two major time-consuming and costly failures that have not yet shown signs of occurring (the green shower and the dead fuel pump), this car's reliability lately has indeed matched its inherent beauty. My wife still loves her XK8 every bit as much as the day it was delivered to us, and I hope we will be able to keep it in our stable for many more years to come. Thanks to the expert advice and assistance consistently delivered by many of the esteemed members of this forum, I have a much greater chance of being able to do so....

Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

I knew what I was getting into when I bought my wife her 1998 XK8. It had been advertised as a rescue cat, one step from the recycler's jaws. Some of the usual fixes had already been done and some left for us. But for almost exactly what I sold her '02 Miata for, she has a gorgeous, dependable and driveable Jaguar!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ter-box-99174/

Old 05-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Zecretw,
My VIN number ends in 24224, which is after yours. I most definitely had plastic tensioners and they most definitely broke taking the timing chain with it. By some miracle, the timing chain jammed preventing the engine from turning over and keeping me from a wrecked engine and a very expensive repair. We replaced the tensioners, primary and secondary, timing chain, and all gaskets, and it has run beautifully since. I was lucky. You should have yours checked before it's too late.

Attached Thumbnails its not all bad-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Zecretw,
My VIN number ends in 24224, which is after yours. .

My VIN ends in 27993. I was speaking about the engines serial number where the first numbers are the date of manufacture.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Default wow what a response

Its really great to hear fellow XK8 owners sing the virtues of this great car and its good points. but more so to hear the brilliant camaraderie of the members of this forum. I agree in every aspect that this forum is just amazing and purely down to its members extremely positive way of helping other members and the general "can do" attitude to help other members enjoy their XK8, and help cure inherent problems too!. Every response I have read rings the bell that the XK8 is one of the most beautiful cars ever built, both inside and outside (we wont discuss rear seats here please no no no!) and every XK8 owner is immensely proud of what he or she drives. I, from road driving experience, believe this is the best head turner produced in the 90s. And I state that based on the fact that wherever you go you will get comments or looks that complements the car. even over and above cars that cost 3 or 4 times as much. I am very proud to drive such a lovely piece of history that will be talked about in 20 or 30 years time and beyond. and I like your good selves will be able to say: I owned one; I still have one. best car ever

Old 05-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been driving my '03 XKR for just a month now, after buying it in the fall and putting it straight into storage. I gotta say, it is a thrill to drive!!!! No problems so far, and no indication of any problems on the horizon. I am looking forward to putting the top down during a long hot summer. Even my wife likes to ride in it (I haven't let her drive it yet....), and she was against my getting it in the first place. In my view, no other car on the road compares..... except maybe an Aston-Martin....

Old 05-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by millhouse_corfe
Its really great to hear fellow XK8 owners sing the virtues of this great car and its good points. but more so to hear the brilliant camaraderie of the members of this forum. I agree in every aspect that this forum is just amazing and purely down to its members extremely positive way of helping other members and the general "can do" attitude to help other members enjoy their XK8, and help cure inherent problems too!. Every response I have read rings the bell that the XK8 is one of the most beautiful cars ever built, both inside and outside (we wont discuss rear seats here please no no no!) and every XK8 owner is immensely proud of what he or she drives. I, from road driving experience, believe this is the best head turner produced in the 90s. And I state that based on the fact that wherever you go you will get comments or looks that complements the car. even over and above cars that cost 3 or 4 times as much. I am very proud to drive such a lovely piece of history that will be talked about in 20 or 30 years time and beyond. and I like your good selves will be able to say: I owned one; I still have one. best car ever
Couldn't agree more !

Am already now at 240Kmiles, and still enjoy every extra one, so much so that I can still find an excuse to have a fun drive ;-). On top of that I still consider her as a reliable daily driver.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a great thread. I bought my first Jag (01 XKR) about a month ago. I spent a year prior to the purchase researching and attempting to locate the vehicle that fit my desires. I had it dealer checked and did "all the right things". Once I had it in our driveway I suddenly felt scared to do anything to the car except wash and wax let alone drive it! Slowly I've been overcoming my fears to try to enjoy it. I have a list of things to have completed this fall but in the meantime its going to be driven. My biggest concern at this point is finding a mechanic that I feel comfortable with outside of the dealer. I don't seem to have many choices in Maine. I'd love to try putting a couple wrenches in my hand but even reading some "simple" DIY procedures have me feeling uncomfortable. Are there any members here from Maine?

Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

Cmj Lgg, no need to feel uncomfortable with the DIY stuff! I had always wanted a Jag and when the opportunity surfaced, I jumped at the chance. After a few months of ownership and looking at an $1800 repair bill from the dealer, I found this forum and a $2.00 fix. I enjoy my daily driver and knowing I have the guidance of Jag techs/enthusiasts around the globe, have turned a wrench on a few projects I would have passed on before. The forum is just a few mouse clicks away to have questions answered and get help. There are members here who have made calls to other members to walk them through steps/advice. This is a great community and by far the best tool in an owner's tool box.

The following 2 users liked this post by sklimii:
Cmj Lgg (05-08-2014), Jag#4 (05-08-2014)

Quick Reply: its not all bad