XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J Gate Drive to 5th gear Micro switch spring loaded?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 04:33 PM
ET1
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default J Gate Drive to 5th gear Micro switch spring loaded?

Is the micro switch in the J Gate to select manual mode supposed to be spring loaded? Because mine is not and the little metal arm with the white roller swings fore and aft with no tension. I think it's the reason I've had an ongoing problem with my Sport mode switch. TIA

2003 XKR

Old 09-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

There was a TSB (I THINK) for the availability of a replacement switch. The cam plate is NOT for sale as a separate component. The metal arm might swing free if the 'limit end' is slightly bent and the other end is not contacting the switch button.

Does the switch CLICK when fully depressed???

You can lift the entire selector lever illumination module free from the lever assy and rotate the cam plate to check operation.

You will get DTCs for D4 faults if the switch does not engage and you move to D3.

D to D4 does NOT move the selector cable, only the switch tells the TCM you moved the lever.

bob

Old 09-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

There was a TSB (I THINK) for the availability of a replacement switch. The cam plate is NOT for sale as a separate component. The metal arm might swing free if the 'limit end' is slightly bent and the other end is not contacting the switch button.

Does the switch CLICK when fully depressed???

You can lift the entire selector lever illumination module free from the lever assy and rotate the cam plate to check operation.

You will get DTCs for D4 faults if the switch does not engage and you move to D3.

D to D4 does NOT move the selector cable, only the switch tells the TCM you moved the lever.

bob

Old 09-13-2016, 10:59 AM
ET1
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the TSB. What a convoluted, fragile system this is. Been chasing this problem for months.

The button does click and when I press the tab forward with my finger the S light goes out, which it shouldn't. There is some kind of weird disagreement going on, maybe with the TCM? And it's beyond me trying to figure the logic. That's why I figured the microswitch arm should be spring loaded aft, to prevent this.

NO fault codes of any kind through this whole debacle and the whole system works properly except the S light would go out randomly, or so I thought.

I finally noticed my S light would go out when I shoved the shifter into Park occasionally, so i figured the microswitch was engaging from the forward shifter motion and the metal tab NOT being spring loaded. This is where I really made the connection with the microswitch being the problem and not the LSM or S switch.

I bent the metal tab aft and tightened everything down and good for the last few days, but I've been trying to troubleshoot this for months. The problem comes and goes. The system will work properly for weeks at a time with the S light staying on, then it will stop working.

If you're really bored you can look at this thread for more background:

"J-Gate Shifter: Flashing "D" and no Sport Mode"

and read the whole story.

I've now changed the LSM twice, thinking the first replacement was bad , and the S switch and with labor, am into this whole dog and pony show about $800 and still not sure the problem is resolved. I threw parts at the problem instead of deeper troubleshooting.

Thanks for your interest and reply.

Evan