XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag in snow no go!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Jag in snow no go!!

Just been snowed in with only 2" of snow.I now know if it snows stay at home,certainly don't use the XK.

It just sits on top of the snow and spins no matter how gentle you try to be. Trac on or trac off no differance.

Put salt down but still needed four people to get me going on to the main road.They were well covered with snow and salt! Girl friend looked really lovely!

Al

Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Winter tyres required Al, my XJR doesn't care how much snow there is as long as I'm not actually ploughing it. If you've never tried them, you won't believe how much difference they make.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:44 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Alag
Just been snowed in with only 2" of snow.I now know if it snows stay at home,certainly don't use the XK.

It just sits on top of the snow and spins no matter how gentle you try to be. Trac on or trac off no differance.

Put salt down but still needed four people to get me going on to the main road.They were well covered with snow and salt! Girl friend looked really lovely!

Al
Al,

Trac off and AutoSock.

Car Snow Socks | Snow Socks | Auto Sock | AutoSock UK

Graham

Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by djdex
Winter tyres required Al, my XJR doesn't care how much snow there is as long as I'm not actually ploughing it. If you've never tried them, you won't believe how much difference they make.

Thanks will do that my Dunlops will need replacing before next winter.
What tire do you use?

I was glad to reach home undamaged!

Al

Old 02-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Hi Graham these look good have you tried them? Any idea re price they look fairly straight forward to fit.Do you think they need removing on main roads with less snow?

Nice to hear from you Al

Old 02-05-2012, 01:58 PM

I use Nokian WR G2's all round, the winter version of course, they do a summer version of the same tyre. Last year in the serious snow (by UK standards) I was unstoppable even in conditions I thought I was gonna get stuck for sure. Just had a little trip today and nearly laughed my )0( off watching the BMW in front getting a major tank slapper on.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

if you absolutely *must* drive in the snow, find the smallest, narrowest wheels that you can and then put the most narrow snow tire that you can safely mount on it. wide tires don't do well in snow, the pressure from the weight of the vehicle is spread out across too large of an area. like snowshoes, it makes the vehicle sit on top of the snow rather than dig into it. haven't done this with my XK, but I've had some other big rear wheel drive cars in the past and it made a huge difference. just don't plan on making any sudden sharp turns when the roads are dry, as the cornering ability will become non-existant.

edit: additional weight in the trunk (sandbags etc) might also help alot.

The following users liked this post:
Alag (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 02:08 PM

I use Nokian WR G2's all round, the winter version of course, they do a summer version of the same tyre. Last year in the serious snow (by UK standards) I was unstoppable even in conditions I thought I was gonna get stuck for sure. Just had a little trip today and nearly laughed my )0( off watching the BMW in front getting a major tank slapper on.

Will have a look at those tires.Yes any rear drive car is going to struggle and with fat tires it's even worse.Pees you off a bit when FWD Fords drive past!

Al

Old 02-05-2012, 02:11 PM
GGG

Hi Graham these look good have you tried them? Any idea re price they look fairly straight forward to fit.Do you think they need removing on main roads with less snow?

Nice to hear from you Al
Al,

YES - I got a pair two years ago when we had a bit of snow:

Jag in snow no go!!-snowfall-december-2010.jpg

That dark blue thing centre left with the ice cream topping is an XK8.

AutoSocks cost around £55 then and very easy to fit. Designed to be used only on snow and removed when reaching clear main roads.

Day after that photo was taken we left Durham and drove overnight to Saumur in France. Took the AutoSocks with me but never needed them.

XK8 is nowhere near as good in the snow as the previous XJ40, X300 and XJ8L saloons I've had but never been stuck - yet.

Graham

Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Beware of OhioXK's advice in the UK, if you fit non manufacturers spec wheels, your insurance co. may well refuse to pay out in the event of a crash. To this end I fitted exactly the same size tyres as standard.
Regards the socks - they work, but are strictly for use on snow only, you hit tarmac get 'em off or they'll get chewed up in no time.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:22 PM

Certainly worth buying.Without help I would have been stuck another day.

That looked very serious snow did you use the socks to get out?

What tires are you using?

Thanks Al

Old 02-05-2012, 02:28 PM

Beware of OhioXK's advice in the UK, if you fit non manufacturers spec wheels, your insurance co. may well refuse to pay out in the event of a crash. To this end I fitted exactly the same size tyres as standard.
Regards the socks - they work, but are strictly for use on snow only, you hit tarmac get 'em off or they'll get chewed up in no time.
Ah good point.I suppose the tire route is the best,would be good to find a good all rounder if that is possible.

Al

Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 PM
GGG

Certainly worth buying.Without help I would have been stuck another day.

That looked very serious snow did you use the socks to get out?

What tires are you using?

Thanks Al

You use 'tires', Al - Leicestershire must be farther west than I thought!

Had the socks ready but got out to the main road without them.

That was my 2001 XK8 which had Pirelli P Zero all round.

Graham

Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 PM

It must be the forum! Getting really confused with color and tyres!

Your pirellis must have been pretty good.

Al

Old 02-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Al, Al, Al what were you thinking??

Didn't you see my post a couple of weeks ago about how I needed a gang of Aussies to get my car a mere 10 yards up a rise the size of a speed bump?

Drove to the ski area top down no problem even made it across 100 yards of snowy uphill parking lot but not over the bump.

The Snow Socks look like a good idea to have in the trunk, sorry, the boot to you.

Be careful out there.

cheers,

jj

Old 02-05-2012, 04:15 PM

Hi JJ glad I am not the only one always thought take it gentle and keep moving but as you say just a slight slope and kapput!

Cheers Al

Old 02-05-2012, 05:14 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by jamjax
Al, Al, Al what were you thinking??

Didn't you see my post a couple of weeks ago about how I needed a gang of Aussies to get my car a mere 10 yards up a rise the size of a speed bump?

Drove to the ski area top down no problem even made it across 100 yards of snowy uphill parking lot but not over the bump.

The Snow Socks look like a good idea to have in the trunk, sorry, the boot to you.

Be careful out there.

cheers,

jj
jj,

Top down - we've yet to see any evidence you have a top at all.

Nobody drives around the Jura in winter en plain air. You mustn't have checked the paperwork when you signed for the 'hood' on that car.

GGG

Old 02-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Snow, I thought that was the reason God made 10 year old 4 wheel drive X-Types! However, I am a damn Yankee originally from upstate New York and have driven in more than my share of snow. I know better than to take my XKR out in the snow; fortunately, snow days are few and far between here in Texas.

Mark

ps Definition: Yankee - someone from up north

Damn Yankee - someone from up north that moves down south.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Beware of OhioXK's advice in the UK, if you fit non manufacturers spec wheels, your insurance co. may well refuse to pay out in the event of a crash.
thanks for mentioning that, it hadn't occurred to me that it might become problematic due to insurance stipulations. as I mentioned, cornering ability would be affected by using a narrow tire; I had to drive very very carefully with the narrow tires.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 AM

No worries Ohio, your advice is good for the job, sadly last year in the UK there was a lot of trouble over winter tyres and insurance.

Quick Reply: Jag in snow no go!!