XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar CGR Roof hose - what orifice do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Jaguar CGR Roof hose - what orifice do i need?

Had the green rain the other day. I am trying to get a part list, I may get a craigs list machanic to help so I want all the parts when I start.

fist - where can I buy the orfice and union?
second - am i right in that all i will need is the hose, 1 orifice, 1 union and teflon tape?

Thanks

Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

If you are able to fix your hose failure with Teflon tape please take pictures. The 'Jaguar' fix is to replace the entire hose(s) from front to back. Jaguar gave up on a 'splice' and the fitting are intentionally proprietary. Lots of posts on this subject. Start here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5663

Old 05-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The unions connectors and orifice comes with the hose if you get the CGR hose from my page. If you get the one from Jaguar you will not need the fittings it will connect to the existing system. If you elect to purchase one hose it will come with the fittings. Now keep in mind that I recommend to replace both because of the work involved in changing it. However that is your choice.

http://www.gusglikas.com/RoofHoseReplacement.htm
http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairHydHose.htm
http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairNewHydHose.htm
http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairJ...esRelValve.htm
I know that you have been to my page because you addressed the hose as CGR. You should also look at the pressure valve.

Last edited by Gus; 05-14-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks Gus, good to know it is a kit.

Gus, was it hard to figur out how to remove all of the fittings. The picks do a good job showing you the hose run, but I am always a little hesitant when I pull off interior parts.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Well it was because information gathering was like pulling teeth. I got a little info from here and there and then took on the project. I do not have a garage so I started one sunny morning in the driveway and finished in time to out to dinner and that was the beginning of my procedures to help others.

I should mention that my skills as a mechanic were set to the test when I was in the service working on wires, sensors, and control units on aircraft that required dedication in making the repairs properly. No room for error!

Last edited by Gus; 05-14-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Default Thanks

Gus, thanks for your work on this, not sure if I will use it but it is a good option. For appretiation I just planted a tree in Isreal in your name, you should get an email on it. (I used my address, if you want the actual cert. let me now and I will mail it to you when it comes to me)

Tree Certificate Information
Questions
Responses
1)Certificate Type
In Celebration Of
2)Honoree/Deceased Name
Gus Likas
3)Message
For the help you gave to others - Jaguar
4)Closing
Planted By
5)Signor(s):
Scott
6)Title:
Mr.
7)First Name:
Gus
8)Last Name:
Likas
16)Email Address:
kgvideophoto@ix.netcom.com

Old 05-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scottatl
Gus, thanks for your work on this, not sure if I will use it but it is a good option. For appretiation I just planted a tree in Isreal in your name, you should get an email on it. (I used my address, if you want the actual cert. let me now and I will mail it to you when it comes to me)

Tree Certificate Information
Questions
Responses
1)Certificate Type
In Celebration Of
2)Honoree/Deceased Name
Gus Likas
3)Message
For the help you gave to others - Jaguar
4)Closing
Planted By
5)Signor(s):
Scott
6)Title:
Mr.
7)First Name:
Gus
8)Last Name:
Likas
16)Email Address:
kgvideophoto@ix.netcom.com
I do not know what to say, that is so kind of you! I am truly without words. Thank You!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by test point
If you are able to fix your hose failure with Teflon tape please take pictures. The 'Jaguar' fix is to replace the entire hose(s) from front to back. Jaguar gave up on a 'splice' and the fitting are intentionally proprietary. Lots of posts on this subject. Start here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5663
The tape is just around the threads, it does not fix anything, just makes a better seal around the threads.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Default teflon tape

I'm not sure of the exact reason but the hydraulic pros do not like Teflon tape on the threads. I had asked for this on the roof kits but they said no way and instead use a liquid thread sealer that is sort of like Loctite. This is only necessary on the NPT fitting that screws into the pump body. The others use SAE-4 fittings that have an o-ring to achieve the seal. This particular fitting is superior to all other options because it does not rely on precision mating surfaces to do its job.

The fittings that were used by Jaguar (Power Packer) have an integral o-ring and the threads have nothing to do with the seal. These fittings (M12-1.5) are unfortunately not in common use so finding a replacement hose from a US supplier, that also has this type of fitting, has proved difficult. The fitting has to exactly match up with the hose dimensions or else you get green rain.

The Jaguar splice kits were an attempt to jerry rig a splice using fittings that were not made for the hose. This is why it doesn't work. Almost fits doesn't cut it at 1600psi.