Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar IDS

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts
Default Jaguar IDS

Not sure exactly where to post this question, but here seems a good place to start !!

I recently acquired the Jaguar IDS software and hardware for my 1997 XK8 (It is too early for WDS).
Over the past few years, I have had an occasional problem which, using a standard OBD scanner, has diagnosed a CAN problem.
The Jaguar system has narrowed it down to 'U2012' which is an intermittent fault on the ABS CAN Bus. However, unlike some DTC's, this one can't be erased using the IDS software :
So ........... two questions.
1. Does anyone have any experience of the U2012 code, and any suggestions of where to look for a solution, and
2. If I pull apart, clean, and reassemble, all the various connectors on the CAN circuit, which *might* fix the problem, will the fault code just disappear if I do a fresh DTC scan ?

The battery is only a couple of years old, and is in good condition, so although I know that's often the cause of such issues, I think I can rule it out in this instance.

Hope all that makes sense,
Cheers,
David.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry David, I can't help with your question, but I'm trying to figure out the best place to obtain a copy of IDS/SDD and a mongoose cable from.
I have tried contacting British Diagnostics but they haven't bothered getting back to me and I'm reluctant to spend money with someone who displays poor customer service before they've even sold it to me.
Any help appreciated,
Thanks
Andy

Old 12-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I show U2012 is a stability control code but that is on a Network Summary for a 2003 car. I do not have one for a 1997. I would think your IDS should read it and give you a definition. It will not clear if the fault still exists. Go back to your IDS and click on your code and to the right you should see what could be the causing it.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

You can find IDS & SDD on E-Bay

The following users liked this post:
Andy Cox (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

Gus.

When I first connected up to the IDS system, there were various "legacy" codes all of which could be erased EXCEPT for this U2012 code and the definition on the IDS is "Intermittent Fault Can Bus ABS" . It doesn't have the "eraser" symbol so I can't se any way of getting rid of it. I therefore assume it will only go away if the fault isn't there anymore, BUT - as it is an intermittent fault, it may not be there anyway !!!

So - just wondered if anyone with more knowledge and/or experience than me might have any ideas ?

Old 12-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Andy ......... I got my Mongoose Cable from Ebay. Software can be tricky - somewhere on this or another forum, there's an excellent guide to the best way of getting everything set up. I'll do a bit of research tomorrow and try to find a link. Age of car is quite important as the later SDD software doesn't work on "early" cars. Not sure about the cut-off date. The general consensus is that the most reliable way of doing it is to run a "virtual machine" (Windows XP Pro) within Windows 7 which is what I'm doing.
British Diagnostics seem to have a suitable alternative - maybe they are just winding down for the Christmas Holidays !!

Edit : My hardware is this :
http://www.uobdii.com/wholesale/jlr-...and-rover.html

Last edited by DevonDavid; 12-19-2016 at 05:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Andy Cox (12-28-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 07:59 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

This is an area that I have little experience in so the only thing I can offer is for you to check the fuses. I am attaching a chart that should help.

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...heet%20XK8.pdf

Old 12-19-2016, 09:13 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
Andy ......... I got my Mongoose Cable from Ebay. Software can be tricky - somewhere on this or another forum, there's an excellent guide to the best way of getting everything set up. I'll do a bit of research tomorrow and try to find a link. Age of car is quite important as the later SDD software doesn't work on "early" cars. Not sure about the cut-off date. The general consensus is that the most reliable way of doing it is to run a "virtual machine" (Windows XP Pro) within Windows 7 which is what I'm doing.
British Diagnostics seem to have a suitable alternative - maybe they are just winding down for the Christmas Holidays !!

Edit : My hardware is this :
JLR Mangoose SDD V145 for Jaguar and Land Rover
Not sure where you got that consensus from. It's pretty much wrong...

A few things to mention from my side;

Forget XP, use Win7 Pro 32-bit
Don't use an old knackered laptop, something modern with a Solid State Drive is the go
Install directly to the OS, no virtual machines

A clone Mongoose is NOT a great idea on an old car like a 97 XK8, these cars. Older Jags use SCP protocol, which tends to be a bit hit & miss on the clones.

You cannot flash the PCM in that car with a Mongoose, you can try but it's most likely not going to end well.

A 97 XK8 is not supported in SDD at all, it will revert to Legacy IDS, in which case why use SDD at all? The operation of Legacy IDS launched from SDD is often unreliable.

How is your car too early for WDS? Where do you get than info from?

Old 12-20-2016, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member

Cambo - Sorry - I'm a relative beginner at all this so really just going on what I have read over many posts on many Forums (Fora ??) plus a bit of personal experience.

Firstly - I got my IDS and WDS mixed up. I'm using v130 SDD/IDS which, as you correctly say, reverts to "Legacy IDS" when connected to my 1997 car. I would be interested in what aspects are unreliable - it seems to work OK, but I don't yet have enough experience to feel confident using it. I couldn't find anywhere that would "just" give me "IDS" or "Legacy IDS" software without SDD (and I did do a LOT of looking.) I was just trying to explain that I don't know the model year/date at which SDD becomes usable on the XK8/Rs.
I have no intention of trying to flash anything - I don't have the knowledge. I just wanted something a little more sophisticated than the generic OBD readers - I already have one of those (a Kiwi PLX) which does a good job, but is limited to P codes so no use for ABS and some other DTCs.
I'm sure you're right about hardware / software but I also suspect you know what you are doing. I'm not a computer expert - just a fairly basic user with a fairly basic understanding. I could point you towards a lot of threads on a lot of sites which, for someone like me, recommend a VM of XP Pro running inside Windows 7. That may NOT be the best way, but it seems to work for many people who have struggled with installing direct to the OS. With respect - it is also a great deal less expensive to achieve which, in my case, was a factor to take into consideration.

So .......... still doesn't help me with my problem - "Legacy IDS" is giving me a U2012 on the ABS menu and the explanation is "Intermittent Fault on CAN Bus". I have previously had CAN faults on the OBD code reader - happens once every three months or so. Not the battery - I'm fairly sure of that. There's no facility to delete the U2012 code, which makes me believe it will "self delete" if, and when, the problem is solved. BUT - as it is intermittent every three months or so, I'm not sure where to look next. I was just hoping someone might come up with some new ideas.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:22 AM

I don't mean to be condescending, I'm just getting a little tired of people buying £50 pieces of junk off eBay and coming to us (this forum) for help when things go wrong...

In saying that, I hate to see people getting taken for a ride or causing themselves more problems in the process, which makes it even more frustrating...

Now, if you only use these virtual machine hacked SDD with cheap knockoff Mongoose for reading/clearing codes, you will be ok, you can't do any damage or make things worse.

In saying that there's been countless people who took it further, and have immobilised their cars by trying to reprogram modules, change settings and so on. So that's where i'm coming from...

Sometimes to fix a problem, you have to reflash a module... Just clearing a code isn't going to fix it... which comes back to why i'm making a big deal about dodgy diagnostic systems...

Now back to your problem...

What you never mentioned was the symptoms of this "problem" when it rears up. What do you get? Error messages on the dash? Restricted Performance? Something else?

U codes are network related. As you've said it's CAN, and the ABS module is reporting it.

But, even a brand new car will have some codes in it relating to network issues, they can be causes by many different things, most common being the voltage drop during cranking causes modules to reboot or drop off the network, momentarily.

Then then are the falsely-flagged DTC's, the ones that just spurious, random, and should be ignored.

U2012 is on a few lists of false-flagged codes...

So really, my question is, what's actually wrong with the car? Describe the symptoms please...

Old 12-20-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Cambo -Thanks. Yes - makes sense and I have also read some of those posts by people who tried to be a little "over-ambitious" with kit they don't really understand !!

So ...........every couple of months or so - and it can be after a long drive or 2 minutes after leaving the house - I get a dashboard like a Christmas Tree - red and amber warning lights + brake light + ABS warning light and some others, and no speedo, no rev counter, no engine temp, plus a "rotating display" of engine fault, gearbox fault, etc. Sometimes it goes into "limp mode" - sometimes not. Air Con also packs up but I'm pretty sure that's because it isn't getting engine temp data which goes via the CAN.
OBD codes are always P1638 and P1642 which confirm that it's a CAN fault.
If I stop the car, and restart, it's usually back to normal. Very occasionally, it takes two or even three starts to "clear" the fault - and if it doesn't clear, the shift-inhibit solenoid doesn't release, so it's a "manual release" via the little "star hole".

With both ODB and IDS I can clear all the P codes, plus any others that come up on the aircon menu BUT there's this U2012 ABS code (which I obviously can't get with an OBD reader) which has no "delete" option. IDS says U2012 is an intermittent fault on the CAN but there are no options on how to investigate further.
I have cleaned all the connectors on the ABS module plug, and have removed the J Gate PCB and checked that as I know the CAN goes through it.
I haven't yet removed, cleaned and replaced the plugs on the TCM and ECM - that's probably my next move but I was just wondering if anyone else had come across, and solved, a similar issue.
It's not a big deal - the car is my "old man's folly" rather than a "daily driver" and 99% of the time, it runs well.
Battery is not yet two years old, and is kept charged.
I have checked voltages at all the fuse boxes, particularly those in the engine compartment, and all read (from memory) around 12.5 volts with ignition on and engine off. (i.e. - same as battery).
I guess it could be a problem with one of the modules, but there's no pattern at all - engine hot / engine cold or distance / speed / duration etc. It's marginally irritating and also a bit of a challenge !! Would ne nice to get it sorted. Famous last words - hasn't happened now for about three weeks but that U2012 code is still there !!

Old 12-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I get a dashboard like a Christmas Tree
You might want to look into a couple of things. From memory, there are one or more TSBs related to the instrument cluster. As you know, among other things, it hosts the electronics that permit messages to go across the various bus technologies (CAN, SCP). I assume a "bad" instrument cluster would cause major miscommunication. I believe they can be repaired. You can start looking through here:

XK8TSB

This seems to be more specific, but possibly outside your VIN range:

413-S484

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

fmerz.
Thanks - Yes - had seen that TSB and read several posts from owners with that problem. It only seems to affect later cars BUT - having said that - the symptoms do seem very similar so it might be worth pulling out the instrument pack and taking a look.
I'm just confused by this U2012 code which the IDS identifies as an ABS / CAN fault.
Maybe all that's just a red-herring. When I got the SDD/IDS I was hoping it would enable me to narrow things down a bit further, but that doesn't seem to have been the result !!

Old 12-20-2016, 05:24 PM

Have a look at this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-1638-a-26691/ and https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-1642-a-26686/

You know the X308 and the X100 share many things, a fault or fix on an X308 will usually apply to the X100 as well.

Replace / rebuild the ABS module seems to be the fix here.

The P1638 is the real issue here, the other codes are consequences rather than causes.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member

Cambo.
Thanks - had seen some, but not all, of the threads and TSB's to which you refer.

Obviously, I not in a financial position where I'm prepared to replace the ABS module, the Instrument Pack and the ECM with new parts *just in case* it solves a very occasional problem which I can live with anyway. However, I think it's probably worth getting hold of a "used but good" ABS module as you suggest - that shouldn't break the bank.

I guess I'm just a bit disappointed that the IDS doesn't really give me any more help than the very simple OBD scanner I purchased several years ago.
My car is not far off 20 years old, so it's not surprising that I get the occasional gremlin - particularly with the electrickery. Just a bit frustrating - that's all !!
Happy Christmas.
Cheers,
David.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

You can get a lot more out of IDS e.g. using datalogger or its other signal-related features but may need more hardware and to read more (maybe a lot more) of its manuals.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

JagV8 - You are probably right. But - this problem occurs so infrequently that I don't really want to keep a laptop permanently connected to the DLC socket.
I have tried to find any sort of instruction manual for the IDS but with little luck - if you know of anywhere ........................ ??
Cheers,
David.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I think they were uploaded to ... this site somewhere, probably the large file area. But you can google for things like
jaguar ids pdf

With an intermittent fault you can't find/fix about all you can do is datalog or wait for it to get worse.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

However, I think it's probably worth getting hold of a "used but good" ABS module as you suggest - that shouldn't break the bank.
Problem is that this old module might be about as far gone as yours already is. From reading this forum, folks have repaired these modules. It seem to involve soldering the 2 power posts to the circuit board, i.e. requiring only basic soldering skills. The case needs to be somehow opened, and then later sealed back in a waterproof manner. It does not seem to be out of reach for a determined individual on a budget.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

I did this fix on my X308. There was a post on that forum with detailed instructions and photos. There is a common problem with "dry solder joints" or at least one problem with the power post on the circuit board. Of course the hardest part is getting the ABS module out and getting it opened up.