XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just cleaned my throttle body. Woo hoo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just cleaned my throttle body. Woo hoo!!!

I was shocked at the difference this made. I've cleaned a lot worse before and got good results. It looked clean at first but as I started brushing it down with a clean soft toothbrush and carb cleaner, the dirt surfaced! Black gunk everywhere.

Just took it around the block and nearly snapped my neck back! Happy happy!

Old 06-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Did you remove the throttle body to clean it or just do the best you could with it on the car? The reason I ask is that because if you manage to get a view straight down the bore, you might see a whole lot of black gunk at the base that you cannot easily get to.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (06-04-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Did you remove the throttle body to clean it or just do the best you could with it on the car? The reason I ask is that because if you manage to get a view straight down the bore, you might see a whole lot of black gunk at the base that you cannot easily get to.

Doug
I just took the cover off. I didn't remove the actual throttle body itself. You bring up a good point though!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Are there any concerns with coatings on the inside of throttle body/butterfly? What is the recommended cleaner and procedure for cleaning a TB on my 2003?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:10 AM

For any throttle body cleaning I've done on ANY car I've always used general purpose carburetor cleaner and a clean soft toothbrush to agitate any grime or gummed up gunk. Then with a clean soft and lint free terry cloth I wipe down any residual grime left behind.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 AM
MrS
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the tip...ill have to give this a go tonight. I adjusted the throttle cable over the weekend....wow. If you havent done this, i highly recommend to. Really surprised how much difference it made.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default TB cleaning

I just cleaned mine this week end. There was some dark brown gunk on the throttle edges and on the sides of the assembly. I used throttle body cleaner that I picked up at Advanced Auto.

It is difficult to clean the unit as you have to hold the throttle up to get to the sides and outer surface of the throttle. I got mine as clean as I could, but if you look down inside where you can't reach it looks pretty dirty.

Remember don't spray the cleaner in the body intake, if you do you might get an explosion when you start the car. Spray the cleaner on one of your old tee shirts and rub, rub, rub.

I assume the breather tube that is connected to the top of the air inlet is pulling in oil fumes from the engine, which is causing most of this dirt build up. If I had a set I would remove the assembly and clean it properly. In my younger days I would have taken it off, but being an old codger, I will let the garage do it someday.

After I cleaned it, I really didn't notice any difference in idling or driving, but it looks better.

Bill N
03 XKR

Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

...I figured this out AFTER doing my cleanup job (mainly because I didn't understand the instructions in the first place) but if you turn the key to the ON position, and put something on the accelerator pedal to keep it floored (jack stand extended, and covered with a thick towel on the front seat squab is what I used) the plate will stay open for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by H20boy:
Alf Hucom (07-06-2012), wcnesta (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by wcnesta
I assume the breather tube that is connected to the top of the air inlet is pulling in oil fumes from the engine, which is causing most of this dirt build up. If I had a set I would remove the assembly and clean it properly. In my younger days I would have taken it off, but being an old codger, I will let the garage do it someday.
Some oil mist does come through the intake to the throttle body over time, and does contribute to the gunk on the edges of the butterfly valve, sides of the barrel, and bottom.

The gunk at the bottom is made worse by the exhaust gases being recirculated from the EGR valve...which draws exhaust from the right bank exhaust header and directs it into the bottom of the induction elbow below the throttle body.

If you DO take off the throttle body and induction elbow, and have the opportunity to REALLY clean them out, you can get beatiful results. Here's my induction elbow after a good cleaning with degreaser. This view looks into the induction elbow from its joint with the intake manifold...that small opening at the bottom back is where the exhaust gases enter from the EGR valve. It's bright and shiny back there, too...the shadow makes it look black.

Name:  InductionElbowremovedandcleaned3-12-2012.jpg
Views: 2194
Size:  113.7 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by The Coupe:
jagmon (06-06-2012), wcnesta (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

That's like new - I recall one that had a partially blocked EGR intake, black lacquer buildup all around and in it, had to break it up with a screwdriver, very bad. Now if you can get the induction as clean as that, mileage will go up!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:41 AM

Matt

I tried this and it does work but I was taking my time doing it in between naps so I did it the hard way.

Bill N

Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy
...I figured this out AFTER doing my cleanup job (mainly because I didn't understand the instructions in the first place) but if you turn the key to the ON position, and put something on the accelerator pedal to keep it floored (jack stand extended, and covered with a thick towel on the front seat squab is what I used) the plate will stay open for you.
I never thought about doing that. I used an old soft wooden spoon to prop the valve open and keep it open while I cleaned.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:40 PM
MrS
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wcnesta
Matt

I tried this and it does work but I was taking my time doing it in between naps so I did it the hard way.

Bill N
hahaha. sounds like me.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default That's not a throttle body.....this is a throttle body.

Who cares if it is for a Vette??

I figured since there were two of them you would prefer the full stereo effect.

They look pretty clean already though so not sure if it will interest you 'gear heads'.

Ls1 throttle body News, Videos, Reviews and Gossip - Jalopnik

I might just have to try eBay again.

cheers,

jj

The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jamjax

Who cares if it is for a Vette??

I figured since there were two of them you would prefer the full stereo effect.

They look pretty clean already though so not sure if it will interest you 'gear heads'.

Ls1 throttle body News, Videos, Reviews and Gossip - Jalopnik

I might just have to try eBay again.

cheers,

jj

What throttle body? Nice *****! Save the *****!

Old 06-05-2012, 01:26 PM

I just woke up from my nap and saw this throttle body now I can't go back to sleep!!!!OMG