XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key confusion - 2005 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key confusion - 2005 XK8

I received 3 keys when I purchased a 2005 XK8 about a month ago. I've searched the forum and learned a lot about green vs. black keys, valet keys, fobs, programming, etc. It looks to me like all 3 keys are green... but the main key looks darker (and older) than the other two, but green none the less. I use the fob to open/lock doors etc. but I'm afraid (very afraid) to try the valet button to see what happens. The other two keys will turn on ignition but will not start the engine. I'm wondering if the green keys can be programmed to work like black keys? Any ideas?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Careful! I put the car in valet and open the fuel door with my knee about half the time when getting out.

I can't believe the disregard people have for these cars. Perhaps because many are corporate lease vehicles when new. Missing keys and fobs and books more often than not.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts

You should have received:

a) two Black headed keys
b) two Remotes (Fobs)
c) one Green Headed key

Key confusion - 2005 XK8-24-keys.jpg

The one on the left is my Valet key; on the right is one of the Black 'all function' keys. Not a lot of difference in the photo

On the Valet key, the Green head is near enough the same shade as the surround of the Jaguar emblem in the centre. The Black key should be a contrast.

If you look at the tip of the Valet key, it's different from the Black keys. The Black keys have a 'collar' cut round the tip which the Valet key doesn't. This shows up in the photo.

The only difference in operation should be the Valet key won't open the boot. If two of your keys don't start the engine, it may be you've been given the wrong keys. Last time I bought one from the dealer and had it programmed, it was £80. I've checked keys and fobs very carefully on every Jaguar I've bought since then.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Valet (Green) and Extra Key (Black) would not start the Jag. So recently had to have all 3 keys (the two mentioned above plus the one that did work) reprogrammed. Went to the local Jag Dealer (Rosenthal, good dealer and service dept) in Tysons Corner Area of Northern Virginia. Total time approx 35 minutes and $130 for all three. Did not have to have any new keys cut, just reprogrammed.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Even if you do hit <Valet> as soon as you use the fob, valet mode will be disabled.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 PM

Jeez... my eyes must be getting worse than I thought. I swear I can't see the difference in those two keys in the photo. They both look like the background behind the silver head is green. The only difference I can see in my 3 keys is that the silver head in the more used key is more gold colored and the green background is darker (due to more use?). Since the fob disengages the valet function I think I may try pushing the button and see if any of the keys will unlock the boot. I'm assuming green keys can't be re-programmed to function as black keys?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:07 PM

Just tried the valet button. None of the keys would unlock the boot when used in the door... so I guess all keys are green. Now I need to decide whether to buy a new black key or just get an extra FOB from eBay. I'm leaning toward extra FOB but either way will probably get the other two green keys re-programmed to start the engine.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:19 PM
GGG

I have to agree with you there!

They looked distinctly green and black on my camera and office monitor when I posted the JPG but I can't see a huge difference looking at it again on my laptop at home tonight. Despite that, they are an obvious green and black when you see them, as were all the other I've had for previous Jaguars.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

'Just tried the valet button. None of the keys would unlock the boot when used in the door... so I guess all keys are green. Now I need to decide whether to buy a new black key or just get an extra FOB from eBay. I'm leaning toward extra FOB but either way will probably get the other two green keys re-programmed to start the engine.'

If you buy a new black key, it is going to have to be cut and programmed. The other remaining Green Keys, will also have to be programmed at the same time the black key is done. I am not to sure that an individual key can be programmed by itself to match the existing programming of the other keys.

But if you all ready have one key that will both start the car and open the trunk (i.e. not a valet key, even though it might look like one), then it is just a matter of going to the Jag Dealer and getting everything reprogrammed as long as all keys are cut the same.

However, there was one thread above that mentioned the valet key was just a little different cut 'If you look at the tip of the Valet key, it's different from the Black keys... The Black keys have a 'collar' cut round the tip which the Valet key doesn't. This shows up in the photo.'

Are the 3 keys that you have now all 'cut' the same? Or is one similar except for one having a 'collar' cut round the tip'

Old 12-20-2011, 03:41 PM

All 3 look cut the same except the "main" one looks more worn. None of them open the trunk with valet activated, and only the "main" one will start the engine. I doubt I will ever need the valet feature and will probably continue to use the FOB for locking/unlocking, etc. So, hopefully I can get the 2 "other" keys re-programmed to start the engine at a reasonable cost and get an extra FOB from eBay.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:18 PM

I hate to feel like a dummy, but now I think I have 3 black keys. Saw another photo and it looks like the whole key handle is either black or green, not just the background of the clear-coated Jag logo which is green. Don't know why the main working key doesn't open the boot when unlocking the doors? Went on eBay to find a remote fob but none were compatible with my car. Any other online parts suppliers that might have a reasonable price or should I just keep checking back with eBay?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:13 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by resneed
I hate to feel like a dummy, but now I think I have 3 black keys. Saw another photo and it looks like the whole key handle is either black or green, not just the background of the clear-coated Jag logo which is green. Don't know why the main working key doesn't open the boot when unlocking the doors? Went on eBay to find a remote fob but none were compatible with my car. Any other online parts suppliers that might have a reasonable price or should I just keep checking back with eBay?
That's right - the key handle is either black or green.

It's not unusual for the boot lock keyway to seize from lack of use because it's just easier to use the remote. It could be the key that starts the car is OK but the boot lock keyway is jammed.

Before you start throwing money at keys or remotes, any locksmith will be able to tell if the three keys you have are identically cut. I'm beginning to think at least one may not belong to your car.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

The green valet key has the exact same chip in it as the black keys, which means that even if you press the valet button you'll be able to drive the car. I've heard of other people on this forum who have nothing but the green key, and it works fine. The difference is that the notches are cut differently so it will not unlock the glove box or open the trunk. As long as you have a working fob you don't need to worry about hitting the valet button even if you have all green keys. As soon as you unlock it with the fob the car drops out of valet mode.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:07 PM

Thanks for all the great advice. I checked with local Jag service dept. and they confirmed the 2 non-working black keys needed re-programming... $60 for both. I'll do that and keep my eye on eBay for a spare remote fob.