XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The last of my suspension work: Is it wheel bearings or ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 725 Posts
Default The last of my suspension work: Is it wheel bearings or ball joints?

I always thought this was normal until I got the chance to drive a white XK8 from a car dealer and noticed that car doesn't exhibit the following behavior:

My car makes this sort of droning grinding sound at speeds above 35 mph. The faster I go, the louder it gets. I thought it might be wheel bearings, but slaloming to the right or left makes no difference.

Should I replace my wheel bearings and ball joints? Both parts have about 84k miles on them. How hard is it? Is there a way of telling if one or both need changing?

I know the car has 4 wheel bearings, but I'm not sure if it has rear ball joints. Does it?

I have also confirmed that I need to replace my front drivers side inner tie rod.

Finally, my rear shocks are still good, but the rear shock bushings are shot. Do I need to replace the entire shock? Can replacement of all these parts be DIY?

How much am I going to have to pay for in parts? Do I need any special tools?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

G,

I replaced the front wheel bearing, it was expensive to replace. I always post what stuff like this costs for your future reference, would you mind doing a search on my name? I have to run so I can't look it up for you right now. It was done like last september 2014. I do remember that one needs a special tool for the front wheel bearing, think it costs around $150, but there are places to borrow it.

Shocks - I am planning to replace my rears too. Thanks to our members feedback 2 weeks ago I am convinced it is within my reach. Folks told me that it is easier than the front shocks and I got through them with no scars. I say "Replace" becuase you will quickly realize that the price difference between lower bushings and new shocks (check PartsGeek for best prices I've seen so far) are so close it becomes a why not just replace the shocks situation.

Diagnosis: Let me let someone smarter than me step in here. When my front bearing was shot, the mechanic easily diagnosed it on a lift, no weight on the wheel - there was play. Sorry I don't remember exactly which direction he moved the wheel and exactly how the play showed up but I hope this is a start for you. Like I said someone will surely chime in and clarifiy this for you and me.

Ball joint - see rev sam's video on repacing the front ones. Doesn't look too hard. If and when you remove the bolt for the upper wishbone do not loosen the front lower shock bolt first. I found it allows the wishbone bolt to come out in minutes rather than an hour of hammering. Don't know if you saw it, there was a discussion about this a couple of weeks ago. Someone (wish I could give credit here) posted a great idea - he ties a string on the threaded end of the bolt so when it is pulled out, the washers that set caster don't get lost , they fall right into the string. The first time I did it , the washers acted like they were on springs - went all over the place.

Hope this helps get you started.

John

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I posted the string trick just ensure a couple of wraps with a tight knot and it should work well for you. Good luck. I believe you can search my post to see a few pics i posted. JAGNIT

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (08-02-2015)