XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late to the party - looking for HKS Camp2 alternative

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Late to the party - looking for HKS Camp2 alternative

In my "new" (week old for me) 2006 XKR my wife asked why we can't have a rearview camera. With the SatNav DVD so ridiculously out of date I considered getting rid of it, replacing the old (dim) LCD screen with a modern TFT LCD screen to take the camera input and then ...

Well, then I was wondering what to do with the screen when the car wasn't in reverse showing the camera input. There would be this black blank screen just staring at me. I had this brilliant idea to show virtual gauges and went looking, thinking that there had to be lots of products available because there surely would be lots of enthusiasts wanting to do the same. HAH!

About the only thing I could find with RCA video out was the old and discontinued HKS Camp 2 that seems to be out of stock everywhere. Not even a single one on eBay. @#$% (expletive deleted)

I've been searching these forums and using Google to search the web as a whole and I can't find an alternative. Am I overlooking something or am I just SOL?

If there is no alternative is there some LCD gauge display that I could mount in the dash that takes a camera input? Something like the Edge CTS2 with some fabrication, for example. I know these exist for my diesel pickup but none of them say they can work with our Jags.

I'm getting REALLY frustrated and it is made worse because my car is in the shop this weekend so I can't even go driving to feel better. Of course, I do have a brand new XF Premium loaner that I could put in "Dynamic Mode" (aka racetrack mode) and see if I can avoid getting a speeding ticket.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:25 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

There are a bunch of threads on center NAV upgrades. Honestly, there doesn't seem to be a silver bullet but there are some cool solutions.

One thing to consider is replacing the NAV with a 3 Gauge Panel and RealGauge.

Best,
dsd

Old 04-01-2017, 03:41 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

I think mounting an Android device with Torque and UsbWebCameraPro may get you most of the way there...

Old 04-01-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
There are a bunch of threads on center NAV upgrades. Honestly, there doesn't seem to be a silver bullet but there are some cool solutions.
So I've discovered. I spent most of last night and about 4 hours today searching this forum and the internet in general looking for solutions.

One thing to consider is replacing the NAV with a 3 Gauge Panel and RealGauge.
We considered that, but we are very picky about the wood grain so we would have to replace the entire dash to maintain an exact match; not just replacing the center panel. And possibly replace the other trim pieces too.

All that would accomplish is getting gauges which wasn't the primary intent.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:33 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

You can get a 2DIN system installed. I have a great installer and he estimated $3k labor to stuff a 2DIN (alpine ilx-107) where the nav screen is.

Easy is a Garmin with their backup camera. You can even splice that in to audio out.

Last edited by dsd; 04-01-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
I think mounting an Android device with Torque and UsbWebCameraPro may get you most of the way there...
Kinda, sorta. Unless I misunderstand it wouldn't have the same level of integration I'm looking for. However that might be offset by access to Google Maps and/or Waze.

I'm thinking about it. I believe I could even surface mount a 7" tablet - maybe bigger - over the space of the existing SatNav and buttons. If I make it removable then it removes temptation when the car is parked. However the visible power cable would be an annoyance.

I wish I still worked at QNX so I would have access to their in-car solutions! I could build something at least as good as the old HKS Camp 2 and probably better! But I've been gone from there almost 20 years.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
You can get a 2DIN system installed. I have a great installer and he estimated $3k labor to stuff a 2DIN (alpine ilx-107) where the nav screen is.
$3K in labor? *cough* *choke*

That's 1/3 of the price of my car!!!

Easy is a Garmin with their backup camera. You can even splice that in to audio out.
It is a thought.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:59 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Yeah, I balked at the $3k too. It's a bunch of work. You need to modify the panel and vents.

I was going to down the Garmin route but it just had a few too many shortcomings.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by WAFlowers
Well, then I was wondering what to do with the screen when the car wasn't in reverse showing the camera input. There would be this black blank screen just staring at me. I had this brilliant idea to show virtual gauges and went looking, thinking that there had to be lots of products available because there surely would be lots of enthusiasts wanting to do the same. HAH!
There is a solution and it is a Garmin.

You need a 5" Garmin GPS with Garmin Mechanic EcoRoute

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/38354

There are models available which have backup camera capability, so you get a new sat nav, backup camera and virtual gauges all in one.

Have a look at the following models:-

dezl560 - this has a video input plus EcoRoute
2597, 2559 - these have wireless camera capability plus EcoRoute

I have a Garmin with video input for my backup camera (but not the EcoRoute) and it is a very good replacement for the original sat nav.

Have a look at this thread:-

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-142028/

Last edited by dibbit; 04-02-2017 at 04:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibbit:
Jag Pilot (04-06-2017), WAFlowers (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 10:55 AM

Somehow I missed that thread. Putting a Garmin in the dash is a VERY interesting solution!

But, dang, Garmin is very proud of Mechanic Ecoroute and price it accordingly. And it looks like it has been discontinued so if I want this I'd better jump on it soon. [Edit: Garmin site doesn't show it discontinued.]

Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by WAFlowers; 04-02-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

While you are looking into this, you might want to consider a 6" Garmin rather than a 5". The original sat nav has a 5.4" screen, which is why you get a border if you use a replacement 5" screen.

I know some people have gone the other way and installed a 6" screen, which is slightly bigger than the opening in the dashboard.

A Garmin 2699 would be worth looking at as it does everything you want.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:31 AM
dsd
Veteran Member

I think the dezl may be a better bet, as it has a wired video in. Garmin wireless camera does not get the best reviews.

Also, I'm not sure if any support audio out. The issue is with the top down you can't hear it. The dezl has an extra loud speaker as it was designed for trucks. In any case you can splice the internal speaker to an audio out and hookup to a stereo. Then you would have an ice Bluetooth audio solution as well.

Or you could do What I did-- put a phone magnet mount on the screen and just snap your phone in. I added a 1din stereo that has a small monitor I use for reverse cam and Toms.

I have an extra nav system if you want photos and measuremts.

Fun project.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Another option is to use an Android Media Box (along with the GVIF) to get gauges on your screen.
Check out this thread in the X150 forum:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/

However, if you really really want to go the HKS Camp2 route, I'm sending you a PM.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
While you are looking into this, you might want to consider a 6" Garmin rather than a 5". The original sat nav has a 5.4" screen, which is why you get a border if you use a replacement 5" screen.

I know some people have gone the other way and installed a 6" screen, which is slightly bigger than the opening in the dashboard.

A Garmin 2699 would be worth looking at as it does everything you want.
Now you tell me! Last night I ordered a manufacturer refurb Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT and EcoRoute HD to get the virtual gauges. *sigh*

Old 04-03-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by dsd
I think the dezl may be a better bet, as it has a wired video in. Garmin wireless camera does not get the best reviews.
Maybe I jumped too soon. 2597 and EcoRoute HD (Mechanic) were purchased on eBay last night.

Also, I'm not sure if any support audio out. The issue is with the top down you can't hear it.
I was planning to hack it as seen elsewhere by attaching to the speaker wires.

In any case you can splice the internal speaker to an audio out and hookup to a stereo. Then you would have an ice Bluetooth audio solution as well.
Yes, like that.

I have an extra nav system if you want photos and measuremts.
I can't do anything until my car is back from the dealer. They are taking their time with it; I dropped it off Thursday and on Friday it was still waiting to be pulled into the shop! In the meantime I'm driving a brand new XF Premium loaner. Nice, but it isn't an XKR.

Fun project.
Sure is!

Old 04-03-2017, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Another option is to use an Android Media Box (along with the GVIF) to get gauges on your screen.
Check out this thread in the X150 forum:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/
If I'm not happy with the embedded Garmin GPS solultion I will look at doing an Android Media Box solution. Since I'm prepared to replace the screen with a modern one and I don't have to share output with other sources in many ways the solution would be simpler than the X150 guys are facing.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2017, 11:43 AM

BTW I'm so-so with hardware/electronics but have lots of local friends to call on for help. I'm a wizard with software; in a previous "lifetime" I was one of the senior designers of the QNX embedded realtime OS. For the past almost 20 years I've been doing realtime industrial computer vision using my own vision libraries for automated quality control.

Software doesn't scare me. I don't want to (because it is too much like work) but if I have to I'll implement my own solution.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to see how that ends up looking there's another thread here.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nstall-159882/

To be more accurate it's my installation of a Garmin 2599 and i have since attached the EcoRoute thingie.
I'm not too impressed with the Ecoroute but being able to monitor the actual engine temp as well as having a built in OBD Code reader is nice.

Additionally the hands free phone only really works in the city and back roads. At Motorway speeds it's pretty much useless.
i am however planning on upgrading with either a tiny amplifier or just integrating it into the stereo if i ever get around to it.

If you have any questions or need assistance during your build let me know.

Best
/Stig.

The following users liked this post:
WAFlowers (04-04-2017)