XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lazy seat belt retraction

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:24 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Lazy seat belt retraction

Of late the drivers side seat belt will lay lazily down the side of the seat and door.
Do we know of a solution?
Thank you

Old 05-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I do not know if there is a post about this already, but I experienced the same thing in my car the day I bought it; with the seat belt hanging loosely and not retracting away when the ignition was shut off. There is no noticeable effect on the seat belt performance once I put it on and adjust the slack away. I fixed mine by sitting in the driver's seat and slowly pulling the belt out over my shoulder, so as not to activate the inertial damping locks, until I reached the very end of the belt. Once I was sure I was at the end of the spool, I yanked at it over and again, quite aggressively, then released it and let it spool back down on it's own until it fully retracted, pulled it out and latched it as normal, drove the car wherever it was I was going, and when I got to my destination, and removed the belt, I remove it before shutting the car off most of the time, then shut the car off and the second I removed the key, the seat belt immediately withdrew from around me and disappeared into the trim. This 'fix' lasted for several weeks, and when it started to re-occur, I did the same procedure as before only this time had a shop-vac handy and after withdrawing the belt completely, I stuck the shop-vac hose, with the crevice attachment, along the 'slit' in the plastic that the belt spools into with the seat belt fully pulled out, and vacuumed out a bunch of crap, then I let it retract a bit and vacuumed more, pull out, vacuum etc., until I was sure that it was clean. I have had no problems since, but a shot of lithium spray lubricant to the sprockets on both sides, through the 'slit', probably would not have been a bad idea either, hope this helps. Oh, and it will help to use some kind of clamp at the top of the belt to hold it out in the fully unrolled position, with a touch of slack to pull and release the bottom of the belt while vacuuming up the bits of junk that get trapped in there, just do not use anything to clamp the belt that will damage it, binder clips work well as you can fold the top of the belt, and attach the clip to the fold on the belt then let it retract a bit until it gets stuck in the top loop.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 05-16-2016 at 08:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 03 XKR:
ccfulton (05-18-2016), Johnken (05-16-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 03:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 XKR
...... I fixed mine by sitting in the driver's seat and slowly pulling the belt out over my shoulder, so as not to activate the inertial damping locks, until I reached the very end of the belt. .....
+1

This seems to happen because the belt hasn't rewound evenly onto the spool.

Lazy seat belt retraction-seat-belt.jpg

It then causes the spool to move slowly or stick completely.

I usually just tilt the seat forwards, pull the belt out fully and feed it back slowly and evenly.

Graham

Old 05-17-2016, 04:29 AM
rui
Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

this type of problem occur with every vehicle.
Professional classic car detailer uses micofiber towel with lightly sprayed fabric cleaner(interior clearer) and rub end to end of the belt to get it working nice and smooth again.
make sure you rub it only in vertical directions and not side ways.

PS: dont spray the belt, spray the microfiber towel

The following users liked this post:
ccfulton (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rui
this type of problem occur with every vehicle.
Professional classic car detailer uses micofiber towel with lightly sprayed fabric cleaner(interior clearer) and rub end to end of the belt to get it working nice and smooth again.
make sure you rub it only in vertical directions and not side ways.

PS: dont spray the belt, spray the microfiber towel
Thank you all.
I will proceed with cleaning and rewinding.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I will give this a go as well.

Thanks