Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts
Default Leaking A/C compressor

Hi, and a belated Happy New Year to All.

I seem to be going backwards at the moment with my maintenance list. Having finally got around to replacing the serpentine belt I spotted a greenish dampness around the A/C compressor and along the strut between the front lower control arms. This stuff fluoresces bright green under my UV torch.

I thought initially it might be coolant, but it's confined mostly around the compressor clutch so presumably a shaft seal under there has got tired. The clutch tends to cycle on & off (as do the fans) so there's at least some refrigerant still in the system.

Courtesy of Gus and others I've read about removal and replacement being a bear, and also of the dubious quality of some 'remanufactured' items.

My question is, has anyone successfully repaired one? It shouldn't be worn out at 34,000 and I could possibly get to the seal by just removing the clutch mechanism.

My first foray into A/C so wishful thinking, perhaps?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

No experience with the Jaguar compressor but a few (many) years ago I replaced the carbon seals on a Volvo. Parts were available as well as repair information at that time. Got it apart as well as back together and cooling but sold the car within a year so I cannot comment on the long term repair.

Few, if any compressors are repaired outside of rebuild shops now.

If I was able to find the parts and information I would not be afraid of trying it. The guys in the rebuild shops are just guys like us.

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (01-09-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Yes but with the right tools and know how!

Originally Posted by test point
No experience with the Jaguar compressor but a few (many) years ago I replaced the carbon seals on a Volvo. Parts were available as well as repair information at that time. Got it apart as well as back together and cooling but sold the car within a year so I cannot comment on the long term repair.

Few, if any compressors are repaired outside of rebuild shops now.

If I was able to find the parts and information I would not be afraid of trying it. The guys in the rebuild shops are just guys like us.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by test point
Thanks, test point. I've found a couple of youtube videos showing tear down and reassembly. The shaft seals may be on the inside so I will take a look under the clutch then decide from there.

Gus, the mechanism is ingenious, but there's nothing really to be afraid of:

Mike

Old 01-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Yes you are correct nothing to be afraid of. It is what you find might be an issue. You can get a new compressor for $180.00. This is what I found when I took my compressor apart. Go to the end of my post.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

michaelh (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
Yes you are correct nothing to be afraid of. It is what you find might be an issue. You can get a new compressor for $180.00. This is what I found when I took my compressor apart. Go to the end of my post.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
Thanks, Gus:- I read your article above before posting my question, which was why I was hoping I miight be able to do a fix without removing the compressor

It does appear that a replacement might not be as expensive as I first thought, although $180 will probably translate to £250 this side of the pond.

I'll see what the local motor factors can offer. Out of curiosity, I was trying to see the part # in your pictures but couldn't. I have Denso 471-1382 - does that tally with what you used as a replacement?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

See if this link works for you.

Link 1999 JAGUAR XK8 4.0L V8 A/C Compressor | RockAuto

michaelh (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

I too have the same issue with my compressor, however after having it regassed and lubed for the princely sum of £20 in Nov, it is still blowing cold after 2 months.

So the question is, does your air-con still demist as it should and does it still blow cold (albeit you'd want it warm atm)? If yes then leave it alone, if not then get a second hand one with some sort of warranty, like this:

Jaguar XJ X308 XK8 AC Compressor. Genuine. MCA-7300-AE ref..rv | eBay

My local mechanic said he can fit one for £50, so it's a no-brainer for me if mine needs replacing as even though gas needs to be recovered, the new unit fitted and then regassed I can get it all done for under £100....at that price there's no point getting my hands dirty

Last edited by MarkyUK; 01-10-2017 at 06:17 PM.
michaelh (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks all for the input.

Gus, it's the same item and around £200 shipped, so will see what I can get locally.

Marky, FWIW it still blows cold, but the clutch/fans cycle every few seconds, so low on refrigerant. I'll remove the clutch to see
if the seal is accessible from the outside.

If not, and the compressor has to come off, then I'll replace with new. It might be 3x the cost but it's 4x the warranty period, and I really hate doing the same job over unless it's a quick substitution.
Nothing is simple or cheap here: no breakers' yards so everything imported and some UK/EU suppliers that will ship can be pretty imaginative with shipping 'costs'.

From what I've read, this seal is one of the reasons why it's a Good Idea to exercise the A/C every month or so.

Mike

Old 01-12-2017, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

You mean you don't exercise it regularly?

I've done so on every car I've owned in the last 23yrs (before that air-con in the UK did not come as a standard fitment).

In my case it seems to have worked as mine has 170k on the clock, 100k of that was in my 12yrs of ownership...with a now 20yr old compressor.

michaelh (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

With my car the a/c and auto is selected and all I do is select the temprature.. So it will run at random to maintain the temprature.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

michaelh (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
You mean you don't exercise it regularly?
Guilty, m'lud. Sadly true for the car, TBH. Second lowest mileage in the 'fleet' and the only A/C equipped one with a problem.

Yeah, I know....

M

Old 01-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Put it in Auto Michael and it'll be exercising all the time.

michaelh (02-09-2017)