XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking issues and windows

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Locking issues and windows

I have had intermittent cycling of the central locking for a couple of years now, it usually sorts itself out after a while and operates perfectly. However, the issue returned a couple of weeks ago, then two days ago the remote central locking packed up and the drivers door window did not drop when opening the door, although if dropped manually, it would go back up when the door was closed. I assumed that all the problems pointed to a faulty microswitch in the door latch, so I removed the latch and tested each switch, and found that they were all working properly. The battery (in good condition) was disconnected while I did this, so I knew I would have to reset the windows.

With everything back together, I reset the passenger window, then turned my attention to the driver's side. The driver's side switch did not work, so I tried the passenger switch (on the master switch) and down went the driver's window, but it would not come back up again. Although I had done nothing to the switch except unplug it to remove the door trim, I took it apart to check for short circuits, but all was well (although I could do with a new rocker switch). I could hear clicking from the door control module, so removed that to check for dodgy wiring, but all was well. I also noticed that my door mirror adjustment was not working. In desperation, I tried another hard reset, after which everything worked as it should. However, the central locking cycling is still there.

Although everything is now working, I am perplexed by what happened and wonder whether the problem lays with the door control unit? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Old 07-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Are you saying that when you lock the car it will lock then unlock? This could be a problem with one of the micro switches in the door latch that is telling you the system is seeing an abnormal status. This could be a simple switch adjustment or just lubrication. First try spraying a little WD40 in the door latches and work the doors open then closed a few times first. This process has worked for others.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:37 PM

It's fine when I lock it; the issue occurs when I unlock it. It will unlock, then lock and unlock a couple of times before finally unlocking. I have tested all microswitches in the latch for operation and using a multimeter and they are all fine, clean and lubricated.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Does it do that with the remote and key?

Old 07-17-2015, 04:55 PM

I've just been out to test it as I don't usually use the key, so don't know whether it does the unlocking/locking cycle with the key. When I used the key, it unlocked in a single action, however, when I locked it with the key again, the central locking failed to work and it wouldn't lock with the remote (although the remote still set the alarm). I locked and unlocked it a couple of times with the key, then it started its locking/unlocking cycle again and the central locking and remote worked as normal.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:58 PM

Incidentally, I found your photographs of the micro switches on your web-site very helpful.

The following users liked this post:
Gus (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 08:54 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Just a hiccup!

Originally Posted by renaultvation
I've just been out to test it as I don't usually use the key, so don't know whether it does the unlocking/locking cycle with the key. When I used the key, it unlocked in a single action, however, when I locked it with the key again, the central locking failed to work and it wouldn't lock with the remote (although the remote still set the alarm). I locked and unlocked it a couple of times with the key, then it started its locking/unlocking cycle again and the central locking and remote worked as normal.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

That is a symptom of a bad battery. I would try fully charging the battery or get it tested to rule that out first.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I second dibbit's recomendation. I've seen it before with just a low battery, especially in the winter.