Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Battery / Faults / New Battery / Ut Oh

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Low Battery / Faults / New Battery / Ut Oh

Hey Guys,

Haven't posted in awhile because fortunately the car has been doing great. Unfortunately I was driving down the Cali Coast line with my Dad on July 3rd in his 07 XK and while we were stopped in traffic, a Ford Expedition hit us going 65+. They had to remove my Dad from the vehicle on a Back board. But after scans and xrays at the hospital we both Walked away from the accident. The car folder exactly as designed. The Rear fenders buckled outward over a foot. The Front edge of the rear fenders where they drop in for the door folded forward, pinching closed the passenger door.

The body points behind the passenger seats where the windscreen was pinched inward about 4" compressing and shattering the wind screen.

Car was totaled, but it took good care of both of us. 48 hours later my Dad went out and picked up an 2011 XK with 18k miles and is back on the road.

But back to my car, who has been so trouble free. Last night I was waiting for some friends at dinner with the dogs in the car. They pulled up next to us and the dogs went wild. We got out, had dinner, went back to the car (90mins later) and I had left the key in the ignition with the radio on.

I cranked the car and it started, but immediately the battery light, DSC Fault and Transmission Fault displayed. I let the car run for about 5 minutes to charge the battery. Shut it down to reset the system, and now the car wouldn't crank over.

Waited 15 minutes Fiancee came over and we jumped the car. And the faults came back, and the car wouldn't shift out of park. Let the car run idling for about 20 minutes, but the them temperature started to rise - I am guessing the electric fans weren't spinning.

I had the car towed to the house (1 mile away) figuring charge the battery and all will be well. So I trickle charged the battery overnight. At 10pm last night the battery ready 9 volts. This morning it read 11. The car started but the faults remained. I disconnected the battery and went to the parts store.

I went to the part store and bought a brand new Bosch Platinum battery for the car. Dropped it in and car started. No Fault lights. I let the car run for about 10 minutes in the driveway. Get in the car and DSC / Battery and Transimission Faults. But this time I could shift the car into gear.

I drove the car to work and it drove, but something wasn't quite right. The car was slow to accellerate, and wouldn't downshift once rolling when you used the accellerator.

I drove it about 7 minutes to my work, and when I got to work the steering was very heavy. I parked the car and the windows wouldn't roll up. and the Nav system was out during my drive.

I was hoping a new battery with proper voltage would clear the issues and I would be a happy camper.

But alas something is amiss...

Thoughts ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave B

Attached Thumbnails Low Battery / Faults / New Battery / Ut Oh-2014-07-03-15.10.43.jpg   Low Battery / Faults / New Battery / Ut Oh-2014-07-03-15.10.19.jpg   Low Battery / Faults / New Battery / Ut Oh-jag-tow-yard-4.jpg   Low Battery / Faults / New Battery / Ut Oh-jag-tow-yard-21.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Dave,
Glad to hear you and your Dad are ok, that is a mess.

I would be tempted to check the ground points and put your new battery on charge for a full 24hrs before reconnecting.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

My guess is the alternator has failed. The initially drained battery from leaving the ignition on presented a higher than normal charging load to the alternator which may have been in marginal condition. This then may have caused it to completely fail.

Now, even with a new battery, it is not getting recharged.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-22-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

White XKR is probably right, the battery was obviously fried, an alternator is not capable of charging a dead battery, the duty cycle is too short. You likely fatally overheated it. I never jump a battery with less than 10 volts, it will kill the alternator really quick.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

So glad you're both OK.

And I gotta say the picture of his car with the forklift coming over to move it is scary. Hard to look at.

+1 on the alternator.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

As Steve (WhiteXKR) could be correct your problem may be corrected by doing a hard reset. It is possible that your car like many others got confused with the low battery and did not know what to do. Try the hard reset then connect your new fully charged battery first. You will be forced to reprogram the windows and radio stations.