XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Conversion Chapter 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I'm considering a 4.8 or 5.3 truck engine as well...

and very interested in what headers/exhaust manifold/intake and most importantly oil pan....

I'm also interested in what else needs to be sourced, Driveshaft custom built, sure...

Old 10-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Received 107 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey there TBM,
Contact Andrew at Jaguar Specialties. He has all the answers you seek. If you are concerned about costs consider this. My $100,000 XK8 cost me 21 large all in. 100 more ponies and better gas mileage. Booya!!
I only said that because I can't afford a new one ha ha.

SK

Old 10-30-2014, 09:14 PM
Default 5.7 or bust

TMB,
get the 5.7
get the ponies
you won't regret it

SK

Old 10-31-2014, 02:40 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

How is the acceleration vs say a 05' XKR...? With a GTO engine can one expect better 0/60 & 1/4 mile et than stock? Thanks

Juke

Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 PM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

You can't compare the Naturally Aspirated GM engine to the XKR Supercharged Engine.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by aode06
You can't compare the Naturally Aspirate GM engine to the XKR Supercharged Engine.
Why? It's very easy to make that sock Chevy engine fast and plus a GTO/Vette engine pushes those cars faster or as fast as a XKR.

I'm curious...there's nothing wrong with my engine at ALL, loving it..! just would like to get some info... I'm a information junkie!

Old 11-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

The XKR is a tank. It likes the SC 4.0/4.2. Even with the same HP the chevy engine just wouldn't feel as good. If you have a blown engine in an xk8 and wanted more power.., This is a choice. If you had an xkr....get a low mile junk yard motor it be cheaper

Old 11-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

Being an owner of two Jaguars, an 87 XJ6 and a 99 XK8, this thread is a huge sigh of relief. The 87 has been lumped by the previous owner with a 94(?) chevy 305. Love the car. When I bought my 99, I knew by Jaguars history that there would be potential issues. I wasn't looking for a second Jag, but when I saw it and test drove it, I started around the block and by the time I went full circle, I had to have it. On the way home I started thinking, "Oh lord, what have I done" (contemplating Jag issues) I got home, came to the forum and what was the first thing I read? Tensioners. I thought "Crap, now what do I have to watch for" Turns out my Jag has been very well cared for with no open recalls. THIS thread has laid to rest ALL of the potential headaches that have lingered in the back of my mind. Skooba, you are now elevated to JaguarGodHead...

Thank you!

:icon _banana:: icon_clapclap:

Old 11-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oil Pan and Exhaust OBD?

I'm still curious as to what pan and header are needed to make this work. I'm starting the parts collection process! I suppose I should actually get the XK8 first, but I've never been rational...I do appreciate all the info...How does reading codes work? seperate OBD for the Chev motor? Chev Codes? Jag codes? Soooo much to learn...
THANKS!!
-tbm

Old 11-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default XK8 LS Conversion.....

Hi, this is Andrew from Jaguar Specialties and thanks for the interest.

All of the mechanical details on exhaust, oil pan, power steering hook up, cooling system, AC, driveline, and much more are covered in our conversion manual that comes with the kit. This all works together with our XJ-XK CAN interface unit, a microprocessor controlled module (with proprietary software) that allows the new drivetrain to communicate with the car. That module is the secret to the conversion- it provides the CAN engine data messaging to the dash cluster and other chassis modules for proper operation. I am extremely proud that we were able to solve that puzzle (it's US Patent Pending too, BTW).

In regards to the OBD2 question below, the car retains its original diagnostic connector (to access all of the remaining modules on the chassis) and the new engine controller has its own dedicated connector. The engine controller can then be scanned, reprogrammed, tuned, or whatever, just like it was in the original donor GM vehicle.

Please fell free to get in touch with us directly for more info on the conversion kit and process.

Just as a teaser, we are now testing a next generation of interface software that conceivably will work with ANY LS engine, up through current models, which opens up a whole world of new drivetrain options, including the supercharged LSA model- 556hp. Now wouldn't that be interesting.....

TBM- get yourself an XK8 and we'll have a great project. If you're already gathering parts, you should get the kit so you'll know what to collect...

Thanks

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 11-09-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow up

Any updates on the transplant.
Thanks for your time.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Jag Specialties, you should sell the manual separately so folks can see what they are getting into. I know that you can get that manual for the Miata v8 conversions.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Jags That Run (JTR) has made more money off selling their GM/early Jaguar, pre electronics, manuals than off their conversion kits. I know, I have the Volvo one.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarSpecialties
Hi, this is Andrew from Jaguar Specialties and thanks for the interest.

All of the mechanical details on exhaust, oil pan, power steering hook up, cooling system, AC, driveline, and much more are covered in our conversion manual that comes with the kit. This all works together with our XJ-XK CAN interface unit, a microprocessor controlled module (with proprietary software) that allows the new drivetrain to communicate with the car. That module is the secret to the conversion- it provides the CAN engine data messaging to the dash cluster and other chassis modules for proper operation. I am extremely proud that we were able to solve that puzzle (it's US Patent Pending too, BTW).

In regards to the OBD2 question below, the car retains its original diagnostic connector (to access all of the remaining modules on the chassis) and the new engine controller has its own dedicated connector. The engine controller can then be scanned, reprogrammed, tuned, or whatever, just like it was in the original donor GM vehicle.

Please fell free to get in touch with us directly for more info on the conversion kit and process.

Just as a teaser, we are now testing a next generation of interface software that conceivably will work with ANY LS engine, up through current models, which opens up a whole world of new drivetrain options, including the supercharged LSA model- 556hp. Now wouldn't that be interesting.....

TBM- get yourself an XK8 and we'll have a great project. If you're already gathering parts, you should get the kit so you'll know what to collect...

Thanks

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties
Andrew thanks for all the work/testing you do on the XK8, I just have one gripe....

What about us 4.2 guys?.... My 90K mile 03 XK8 will one day possibly loose either the engine or trany and when it does I want a LS3 or so with a 6 speed manual trany, turn this sexy machine into a beast. So get cracking will ya...

Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I agree, us 4.2's want to go GM V8 also, ha ha ha ha.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:27 PM

Hello there i am doing my conversion now waiting on my wiring harness I had a truck engine and had it converted to a LS6 hope to get about 400 HP heads cam valve springs transmission tricked out. you used Headers or factory exhaust manifolds ? I cant wait to get mine running. what kind of gas mileage you get ? i bought my kit from Andrew also, he is a good guy and a lot of help glad to know you have yours running and enjoying the conversion !!!!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:50 PM

Hey there swayon34,
We used corvette exhaust manifolds that can be easily adapted to the original exhaust, however, my buddy Troy wanted to build the exhaust from the exman to the tips with mandrel bent 2.5 inch pipes and a two in two out flowmaster muffler. The mandrel bent kit was 650.00 and allot of welding by Troy. He wanted to do it so I said what the heck, why not. He did a great job. As for fuel mileage, since I can burn regular 87 octane fuel I never measured it because I don't care. I run 89 and sometimes 91 when the price drops but only because I "think" it is a good thing to do. Don't know for sure. It does not ping at 87 octane. Glad to here you are doing this convert and hope it goes well for you. If you can think of anything you need or get stuck I will assist as much as possible. I found the wiring interesting and a little challenging but not too bad. I soldered and heatshrunk every connection. No Scotchlocks in the Kitty.
All the best

Old 02-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Default cool

im have ls2 exhaust manifolds and they exit in the middle, so you had to use the mandrel bend pipe on the exhaust where the steering column meets the rack on the drivers side ? I have looked at the wiring diagram and not sure how the box connects into the circuit. I hope to get my wire harness this week. its warming up here in Dallas and i am ready to burn some $2 gas lol

Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 PM

did you buy the kit from Jag Specialties?

Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 PM

yes i did

Quick Reply: LS1 Conversion Chapter 1