Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made it home

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Made it home

Well, I made it home with my, new to me, '04 xk8. Put on around 1400 miles and it ran flawlessly. An absolute joy to drive.

Having said that, I still have several issues, mostly cosmetic. However, I have one issue that I could used a little advice on.

The windows seem to work ok, except that they will not remember a reset. They go down when you pull door handle, but, most of the time, will not go back up. I've read many threads on this and almost all point to a bad battery.

So, here's my question. The headlights, as well as some dash indicator lights, like the "lights on" symbol, seem to flicker ever so slightly. The headlights also seem to come on prematurely. A few clouds, and they come on. Sooooooooooooo, Do you think I'm still looking at a bad battery, or should I be looking for a bad ground somewhere? If you think it's a bad ground, where should I start looking.

When it comes to turning a wrench, I'm pretty good, but when it comes to electrical stuff, I'm a moron. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Darrell

Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Received 6,251 Likes on 5,451 Posts

Congratulations on a good safe trip!

I'm no electrical expert but I'd tend to suspect an earth, it rings in my mind that someone, Rev Sam? had a problem with the body mount of the battery earth strap.
Get the battery checked too, can you see the date on it?

Old 08-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

+1

Originally Posted by Norri
Congratulations on a good safe trip!

I'm no electrical expert but I'd tend to suspect an earth, it rings in my mind that someone, Rev Sam? had a problem with the body mount of the battery earth strap.
Get the battery checked too, can you see the date on it?

Old 08-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Not sure if you have the correct procedure to reset your windows so this link should help

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 08-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Congrats, and enjoy bringing the car up to your standards. Keep us posted as you do....

And I concur with your electrical issues sounding like a ground problem somewhere....

Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Great trip and a good way to get to know the vehicle.

I'd also go for ground first if you've got flickering.

The auto headlights on my 2005 come on much sooner than my 2001 did. This is likely to be deliberate factory calibration rather than a fault.

Graham

Old 08-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Great to hear about your buy and the good trip. You just bought my favorite year for the XK8 as well as the right color. I love my 2000 but if given the chance to trade for the 04 I will probably do it. I think that is the very best year for the car when you consider both mechanical and styling.

The following users liked this post:
Friarshuck (08-12-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Well, this may be a bit premature, but I just came in from tightening the connections in the trunk. Also cleaned and reinstalled the positive battery connection. It wasn't dirty. Battery reads a little over 12 volts. Not real sure because my girl friend borrowed my digital multi-meter..........and I haven't seen it since. Used my old analog one.

Anyway, tried the windows several times and they worked perfect. Will look for flickering lights once it gets dark. Hope that's it. Easiest fix I've ever done on a Jag. ha

You guys were a big help, as always.
Thanks,
Darrell

Old 08-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Welcome to the hood...

You've got a great car. I'm fairly new here, too, and have benefited greatly from the experts on this forum. 'See you around!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

A volt meter will only give you the present now voltage you need to get a test on the battery that measures the integrity of the battery. Go to your Sears, Autozone, Advance Auto or PepBoys and ask them to check it these checks are often free.

Originally Posted by Friarshuck
Well, this may be a bit premature, but I just came in from tightening the connections in the trunk. Also cleaned and reinstalled the positive battery connection. It wasn't dirty. Battery reads a little over 12 volts. Not real sure because my girl friend borrowed my digital multi-meter..........and I haven't seen it since. Used my old analog one.

Anyway, tried the windows several times and they worked perfect. Will look for flickering lights once it gets dark. Hope that's it. Easiest fix I've ever done on a Jag. ha

You guys were a big help, as always.
Thanks,
Darrell

The following users liked this post:
Friarshuck (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 08:17 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Friarshuck
............ Not real sure because my girl friend borrowed my digital multi-meter..........and I haven't seen it since.
Darrell,

This needs further explanation. The multi-meter, the girlfriend or both?

Just what do you get up to in Nebraska?

Graham

Old 08-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Darrell,

This needs further explanation. The multi-meter, the girlfriend or both?

Just what do you get up to in Nebraska?

Graham
Yes, I agree. What exactly was she testing with the DVM???

Old 08-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

OK, guys, the girlfriend, I've seen. As a matter of fact, she went with me to get the car. The multi-meter, she uses to check fuses. She has an older house that still has fuses and her air conditioner blows them from time to time. I showed her how to use the meter to check them, and I haven't seen it since.

Now, you guys could take a lesson from this old Nebraskan. When she gets on my last nerve,..........I send her home. ha She can do that to me too. Works out great.
Having said that, we are looking to buy a house together, on Table Rock Lake, in Missouri. I am, however, insisting on a house with a nice shop. A man cave, if you will, so I at least have a little refuge. Between the shop and fishing, I think we can do this................She's actually a great gal..........but still...........you know what I mean, don't you?

As for the Jag. Yeah, I spoke too soon. Took it out to eat later in the day, and of course, the windows didn't work again. Everything in the trunk looks very, very clean. Even the battery looks new, but, as Gus suggested, will take it and have it checked out.

Thanks for the help guys.

Darrell

Old 08-12-2012, 01:30 PM
GGG

Darrell,

The sunsets in pics of Table Rock Lake on the web look fantastic but you've got the ideal domestic arrangements already with separate houses. Why spoil it? Recommend you just give in and buy yourself another multi-meter.

Graham

Old 08-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

LOL ... I concur Name:  icon_smile_tongue.gif
Views: 13
Size:  234 Bytes

Old 08-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I recently had a total power loss, cleaned the terminals and power was restored. Two days later another total power loss. Had my son clean and tigthen the terminals, he put more torque on the bolts than I did, resulting in no additional power loss in several weeks.
During the two attempts at fixing this problem my battery was tested with a Midtronics battery tester and showed a reserve of 840 CCA (basically a full charge).

Go back and tighten those terminals.
Good luck!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice Bob. I will give that a try. If it doesn't do the job, I am going to have the battery tested when I take it in for an oil change.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Headlights Coming On Early

I didn't notice a specific reply to your concern about the headlights coming on when there are just a few clouds around.

My MY is 1999 so I don't know if this has changed for your later model, but ...
there is a sensor and sensitivity adjustment that's kind of hidden. On the windshield side of your rear view mirror you'll find both. The sensor being covered with dust or dirt could be part of the problem as well as the adjustment of sensitivity itself. Give that a try.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Congrats on a GF who is actually willing to learn how to use a DVM.

If you get the wiring diagrams, you can see where where both the power and ground main connection points are. You may wish to attend to them all in one shot by cleaning and tightening all of them. The power path from the battery to the termination on the front fuse box is broken into many segments and any one of them can fail. The underhood false bulkhead joint is especially well known for failure.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Friarshuck (08-17-2012), Steve8 (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

Plums, I've seen a lot of good advice from you in the year or so I've been on this forum learning about my car, but your suggestion to check all the points of connection from the battery forward just struck me like lightning (no pun intended). In my years of shade-tree service on old cars, there was mainly just the connections on the battery to worry about, but you are absolutely right - each point throughout the distribution circuit deserves attention whenever there is any question of a bad connection.

I'll file this away in the memory bank.

Thanks,
Steve