XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make sure you have good windscreen insurance!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Make sure you have good windscreen insurance!

My windscreen was pretty tired looking (scratches, lots of tiny stone chips, etc.), so I decided to ask my local Ford dealer, who changed the heated screen on my Transit van 6 months ago, to change it for me. There are no Jaguar dealers or indies within 100 miles or so of where I live.

They have done a fantastic job, but the final bill was $3,400!!

The screen itself accounted for half this, while the two satin black metal surrounds were $400 each!

Fortunately, I only have to pay for the first $160. My insurance covers the rest!

Just thought I'd warn you

The following 2 users liked this post by Frog:
mcbeefsteak (11-19-2011), The Coupe (11-19-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog

The screen itself accounted for half this, while the two satin black metal surrounds were $400 each!

Fortunately, I only have to pay for the first $160. My insurance covers the rest!
Damm, that's expensive even for Jaguar. I never would have guessed it'd be that much. Thanks for the head's up.

Mark

Old 11-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My windscreen was pretty tired looking (scratches, lots of tiny stone chips, etc.), so I decided to ask my local Ford dealer, who changed the heated screen on my Transit van 6 months ago, to change it for me. There are no Jaguar dealers or indies within 100 miles or so of where I live.

Just thought I'd warn you
This is good info. What type of insurance claim did you make?

Old 11-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

That is up to the individual.
Jag windshield are pretty thick so risk is very low it wll crack hence the steap price. E.g. Volkswagen use very thin windscreen and they do crack a lot but are cheaper.

Anyway, i decided to go third party only without coverage for the windscreen.
Same for your phone or Ipad or whatever, they are costly to replace,but not everybody takes an insurance.

If my windscreen breaks, i will probably change it out myself, which is pretty easy to do.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,258 Likes on 564 Posts

On my car I had to have both of the metal surrounds replaced, too. I didn't know they were $400 each, however. Apparently the windshield is held in with clips. It is not supposed to be glued in place. But some installers glue it anyway, and when they do that, the metal surrounds get stuck to the glue, which causes them to be destroyed when removing the old windshield.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Sam, the windshield is glued in, the clip are for holding the surround. The JTIS has the directions for replacing the windshield. sometimes they use too much and glue the surround which makes it almost impossible to remove without destroying it.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had comprehensive insurance on all my cars since I started driving. Had at least 10 windshields replaced. Mercedes,Peugeot,even bug eye sprites. The most I've ever had to pay was 50.00 . 3400 bucks for a windshield is just the usual insurance rip off. OR the aftermarket just doesn't service that car and the glass HAD to be purchased from the manufacturer. A VERY rare occurrence.Either way,that's why I always have comprehensive on all my cars.Covers vandalism,theft,glass,deer hits and with VERY little copay.Make sure you ask for it. You'd be surprised the number of agents that don't even ask if you want it.Don't assume.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbeefsteak
This is good info. What type of insurance claim did you make?
As these heated screens are impossible to repair due to the filaments, the slightest impact in the driver's field of vision requires a brand new screen. The filaments are also why the screens are so expensive. The one on my lowly Ford Transit van was also $1700.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As these heated screens are impossible to repair due to the filaments, the slightest impact in the driver's field of vision requires a brand new screen.
Simply, untrue. Yes, if the impact is hard/deep enough, the 'filaments' will be damaged rendering that part of the screen beyond repair. But the screen will need replacing not because the heater no longer works, but because the outer layer of glass has taken such an impact - enough to damage the sandwich construction of the windscreen (or that the impact as penetrated and compromised the PVB interlayer).

The filaments are also why the screens are so expensive. The one on my lowly Ford Transit van was also $1700.
Yes and no. But it is more down to the availability and demand of that glass.

Looking at the prices you guys are paying in France, I would say it's because the repair shops are paying extra premiums for shipping these (what may well be) non-stock items into the country/their region.