XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror replacement with compass

Old 05-26-2017, 04:57 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Mirror replacement with compass

I have just possibly wasted some money by buying a mirror with compass for my 2005 xkr convertible. Does anyone know if this can go as a direct swop for a mirror without a compass? This question was asked about 6 years ago, but there weren't any replies.........

Old 05-27-2017, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

The wiring diagram for the OEM Jaguar mirror lists the compass feature, but as it shows no specific wiring connection, then it looks like the compass is self contained or needs no more than the basic power and ground arrangements, included here:

Listed mirror wires are ignition switched supply, mirror tint output to both door mirrors, auto lamp connection to the BPM, an input from the reversing light circuit and a ground wire.

Last edited by astromorg; 05-27-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it because Donnelly mirror was compeletely broken.
I used Gentex mirror with monitor, and I installed rear view camera as well. The only downside is, I had to remove the original mount and put new mount just below the original location.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to mention my mirror has compass and homelink and monitor.
The compass is built in so you don't need new wiring for compass. So if you only need compass and want to just change the mirror, you can get old Donnelly mirror with compass. Gentex mount is different to Donnelly's.
In addition to the mount change, I have run the cable for rear view camera from the rear end to the mirror.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:10 PM

Thank you, Ludwig drummer and astromorg. This is all really handy information. I'll await delivery of the Jaguar mirror and have a go at mounting it, though I am a trifle anxious about potentially smashing the screen!

The following users liked this post:
bazjag (06-12-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Diddion
Thank you, Ludwig drummer and astromorg. This is all really handy information. I'll await delivery of the Jaguar mirror and have a go at mounting it, though I am a trifle anxious about potentially smashing the screen!
Diddion, How to remove the mirror: First remove the Roof console....It pulls down off of 3 Spring loaded clips....Start at the rear edge and pull down...Put some pressure on it as the springs are strong....Don't damage the area around the trim....now disconnect the connector to the mirror and remove the small black cover at the top of the mirrors foot. Now push the mirror down towards the bottom of the windshield and remove it from it's mounting..."Do not twist it or you might break the Glass. Then to reinstall the new one start at the bottom of it's mounting and push up toward the bottom of the windshield.

Bet you $50.00 that if you haven't bent the little grill on the Roof console, you will! Good Luck!! If you come up with a good way to straighten the Console grill, please let me know!!!!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 05-27-2017, 06:48 PM

Thanks, Billy.

Ummmmmmm.........mine is a convertible; are your instructions correct for that?

Old 05-27-2017, 07:39 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

By roof console, I think he means "done light". There is a mesh grill that had the phone microphone that can be bent.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Diddion, Sorry man......but it should be pretty much the same as a Coupe! But I don't know as I have never been in one of those Fancy Convertibles and have no idea what's up there by the mirror.....It would seem to me that it couldn't be much different.....!

BC

Old 05-28-2017, 04:13 AM

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know what happens when I receive the item and try to install. I shall be very careful, and have selected the correct tools: 2ft crowbar, 4lb lump hammer, long screwdriver, small propane blowtorch and plumbers soldering iron at the ready.

I am not sure if I will need a hydraulic jack-hammer for this task, but if so I'll have to hire one. Are there any suggestions for additional tools to help with this job, anyone?

Old 05-31-2017, 12:27 PM

Success!!!

Easy removal and replacement with the new mirror. Auto lights work, and the compass also works (once calibrated, by merely driving round in a circle) Rain sensor does not work - I have written another post about this.

Thanks for all your advice and help.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Diddion
Bet you $50.00 that if you haven't bent the little grill on the Roof console, you will! !!

Billy Clyde in Houston
The mirror slid off without needing to touch the roof console - easy(ish)!

So you owe me $50!!!!!!! Anyone know of a reliable bailiff near Houston, just in case.........? Prepared to pay anything up to $49 for this valuable service!!!

Old 06-12-2017, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

Not fair Diddion!! I didn't know you had a Soft-Top.....I don't even know what's up there by your Mirror.....I should have known you were going to pull a fast one on me! Tell you what! You come to Houston and I'll be happy to give you the 50 Bucks!

Honestly, I have never been in a XK Convertible..........Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 06-13-2017, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
You come to Houston and I'll be happy to give you the 50 Bucks!

Honestly, I have never been in a XK Convertible..........Billy Clyde in Houston
Or you come to the UK. I have a cousin in Fort Worth, so I may well visit him, so....... I just may let you off, though. If I am feeling generous. No guarantees.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Smile Fort Worth

Originally Posted by Diddion
Or you come to the UK. I have a cousin in Fort Worth, so I may well visit him, so....... I just may let you off, though. If I am feeling generous. No guarantees.

diddion, I appreciate your generous feeling! I also have a cousin in Fort Worth, as a matter of fact, Betsy is the Mayor of "Cowtown", as we call it....
Come on over and I will come meet you and personally give you the 50 Bucks....of course 50 Bucks US is only about 30 of your Pounds, so you would have to spend it in "Cowtown" to get full value!

I look forward to your visit! Billy Clyde in Houston