XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing top fluid oem & 11S

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mixing top fluid oem & 11S

My top hydraulic fluid is a bit low and it appears to be the oem fluid (1999). Top works ok but sluggish. Is it OK to add the newer 11S fluid or is mixing a no-no?

Old 12-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The UNIVIS fluid is a yellow color and I guess you can mix them but a flush&fill is better.

I have done many conversions when I worked at the dealer.

You can 'suck-out' as much as you can and then add the Pentosin?? That will dilute as much as possible. You could cycle the top several times to mix the fluids and then empty the reservoir again. Top up the level again with Pentosin and that might get the top back to normal.

The lines for the top latch are LONG and SMALL DIAMETER so you might not get all the fluid changed in those lines.

TSB for the way we were to perform the task 'back-in-the-day'.

bob

Attached Files
Old 12-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks I had thought that might be worth a try before getting into taking the windshield header apart. Are the rams collapsed or extended with the top down? Seems like collapsing them would expel more old fluid. Also is there a bleed step to get air out of the system after refilling?

Old 12-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The lift rams are 'double-acting' so they 'self-bleed'. Operate in both directions to expel air. The lift rams are EXTENDED when the roof is closed.
The roof top latch is so far from the pump that air does get trapped if it is allowed to enter those lines.

bob