Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Problems

Hi guys!

I've got a 2003 XKR convertible (U.S. Spec) with multiple problems.

First I experienced the "Green Rain", so I bought the upgraded hose kit I saw on this site and the pressure relief valve that installs on the pump/reservoir.

When I went to put the top tray back on, the fittings for the upgraded hoses were thicker and the hoses are "stacked" upon each other causing a approx. 1-2mm deficit in space available to properly mount the top tray and align the top latch and front side, allowing the top to completely close and latch.

I've used the manual release wrench to seat the top during the raising process. The extra "oomph" helps latch the top completely, but the rear side windows do not raise to complete the process.

I still have air in the top latch lines. I may have a possible bad limit switch on the top lifter. Can anyone else can weigh in with some ideas?

---Second problem---
Because of the above problem, and the fact that I was laid off and had to accept work out of state, my Jag has sit for a year (plus). I had left the bonnet open, and now when I close the bonnet, I get a warning light indicating that it is not closed. I've driven it around to see if the vibration may "jar" the switch loose, but no avail. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Ron

Old 12-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 4,181 Likes on 3,644 Posts

Ron - I've moved your post from the General Tech section to the XK8/XKR section where it will get more visibility and folks familiar with the XKR can best assist

Old 12-31-2014, 03:53 PM
Received 4,181 Likes on 3,644 Posts

WRT the hoses - do you remember which site you purchased from?? Most have purchased from Topsonline with no issues.

As for rear windows not going up, the rams have not been fully extended to clear the limit switch allowing them to raise

Check out Gus's site for some great help with the hydraulics
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

concerning the possible air in the lines - where is the fluid level? The system is supposed to be self venting but may not have enough fluid

Last edited by sklimii; 12-31-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Not sure what hoses you have but if they are the braded hoses the fittings are a bit longer but to date no issues with them fitting properly.

Yes you may have air in the system but this system is self purging but will take a few times operating the roof to purge the air.

Your quarter windows will not go up until the rear ram are fully extended.

You say the car sat for an extended period of time this could have contributed to the system not working properly. I am also a little concerned that the header may have an issue and hope you did not force it into position that might be contributing to the issue.

I would suggest making sure the header and associated latch mechanism in not in a bind. I would attempt to operate the roof with checking that the roof hydraulic fluid in the tank does not drop below the lower embossed line on the tank. When doing this try to document the sequence as it operates making sure the latch and roof operation are in sequence.

I will also send you a PM message

The following users liked this post:
sklimii (12-31-2014)