XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multitude of error/computer problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multitude of error/computer problems

I have had my 1998 XK8 convertible for about a year and a half now....and she is SO quirky that I have named her Sybil. I am getting so many error codes and operational problems that I'm finally giving in and asking for help. It started with the window either not adjusting downward when opening the door to accommodate the ragtop, or rolling down each time I opened the door and never automatically rolling back up to it's "closed" position. This problem will persist for a week or two, then magically repair itself. Then, a bunch of silly error codes appeared. Something about ABS, something about stabilization, another saying that my hood was open or ajar, when it was clearly NOT. Another problem is that 90% of the time the gas gauge registers empty, even when I KNOW I have gas in the tank. Also, when I try to lock the car with the key fob, I can hear the door locks engage, disengage, engage, etc, and if I don't manually put the key in the door lock, my alarm goes off. Biggest problem is that after I go through this "locking" ceremony, only the driver's side door locks...and not the passenger side. There are several other "odd" things going on, sometimes they disappear, sometimes not.

Is this a computer problem? A loose wire somewhere? Or just a truly possessed beautiful quirky vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any help or sympathy.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Sometimes something as simple as a weak battery could cause havoc with these cars. You might want to start there first.

Doug

Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Sometimes something as simple as a weak battery could cause havoc with these cars. You might want to start there first.

Doug
Welcome to the forum! If you have some patience, these problems can be solved.

Doug is correct....first you absolutely, positively need to have your battery load tested (most places that sell batteries will do it for free), and make sure that it has a resting voltage (ignition off) of at least 12.5 volts. Without a good battery as a starting point trying to resolve these problems on this car is like a dog chasing his tail.

I am pretty sure you have some other issues also, but start with the battery.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-09-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds very much like a dead cell in your battery. It'll take a charge but not hold it for long and set off a bunch of codes. Have it tested by a good shop if you don't know how old it is. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still having fault/electrical issues with my quirky Jag

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I have done as recommended and had my battery tested and also had the alternator checked. Both are reported in good working condition.

Is there some kind of control area (or separate computer) that would affect the following (but have no discernible impact on vehicle performance)?

Problems:
- Windows usually adjust up and down for ragtop, but not always
- Gas gauge usually reads empty (even when full), but not always
- Usually can't lock doors, pushing the key fob lock button causes the locks to engage, disengage, engage, disengage, usually ending up with the driver's side door locked but the passenger's door unlocked. Also the passenger door isn't automatically locking when I put the car in gear and go forward.
- Often receive ABS or stabilization fault codes
- Sometimes the side view mirrors "readjust" themselves to an unusable position
- Other error codes will pop up on occasion. (Just for fun!)
- Radio gets a lot of static when my bluetooth phone is on. (May not be related)

My cruise control, blinkers, windshield wipers, horn, lights, etc all work perfectly, so are somehow not related to the problems above.

Anyone have any clues of what might be wrong or my logical next course of action?

Thanks to all!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Katriana
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I have done as recommended and had my battery tested and also had the alternator checked. Both are reported in good working condition.

Is there some kind of control area (or separate computer) that would affect the following (but have no discernible impact on vehicle performance)?

Problems:
- Windows usually adjust up and down for ragtop, but not always
- Gas gauge usually reads empty (even when full), but not always
- Usually can't lock doors, pushing the key fob lock button causes the locks to engage, disengage, engage, disengage, usually ending up with the driver's side door locked but the passenger's door unlocked. Also the passenger door isn't automatically locking when I put the car in gear and go forward.
- Often receive ABS or stabilization fault codes
- Sometimes the side view mirrors "readjust" themselves to an unusable position
- Other error codes will pop up on occasion. (Just for fun!)
- Radio gets a lot of static when my bluetooth phone is on. (May not be related)

My cruise control, blinkers, windshield wipers, horn, lights, etc all work perfectly, so are somehow not related to the problems above.

Anyone have any clues of what might be wrong or my logical next course of action?

Thanks to all!
Hi Katriana-
This problem description is very helpful. I believe that there is commonality with at least two of the problem, perhaps more. I think the window and door lock problems are related. These sound like a bad microswitch in the door latch assembly inside the door. Unfortunately you may need to buy an entire door latch assembly (that is how the replacement part is sold by Jaguar) even though it is just a bad switch, unless you find a creative independent mechanic willing to just replace the switch. After you make this repair also see if you still have the mirror problem.

The gas gauge problem is likely either the the sensor inside the tank, or the instrument cluster, or a broken wire somewhere in between. I would say the more likely case is the sensor inside the tank.

ABS problems are very common on these cars. You should make sure you go to a Jaguar mechanic that has the correct diagnostic tools to read the faults. If it turns out one of the fault is in the ABS control module, you can have the module rebuilt for a tiny fraction of a new replacement.