XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dreams have been crushed (3 gague center cluster for XKR) /madface

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Default My dreams have been crushed (3 gague cluster for XKR) UPDATE: FIXED by WhiteXKR

UPDATE 5/29/11 WhiteXKR has created a wiring harness!

Apparently the whole wiring harness for the XK8/XKR with nav is a different part number from the one without.

Grrr....

So I guess the only alternative is the possibility of adding secondary sensors and wiring them direct?

...severely disappointed here.

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Yes folks, it is possible to swap out your despised navigation system for the three gauges!!

The car fully supports it, the nav. equipped cars just have some wires and the minor gauge connector missing.

The solution is a add on mini-harness that plugs right into the main harness at the instrument panel. One end has a mating connector for the 3-guage cluster, and the other end has terminal pins which you need to plug into the instrument panel connectors (I will provide instructions).

I will make up a limited number of these cables for a nominal charge. Anyone in interested please let me know (you can email me at whitexkr@comcast.net) or PM me. Once I get a head count, I will order the materials.

Obviously it is still up to you to procure the wood panels, and cut away any material needed to fit the gauges behind the wood panel to complete the conversion.

Thanks to Xenophobe for loaning me his cluster to figure this out.

Last edited by xenophobe; 05-30-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

If you get hold of a harness from a junker, you might be able to splice in the changes without removing the whole harness. Software compatibility is still an unknown, however.

Or, if you get the replacement wood panels, and wire your own aftermarket gauges, you would actulally be better off having 'real' guages.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I must admit I have just about given up on the whole idea. Since I stuck a TomTom on the screen, I've been happy with that, and at least the car will stay original for when I sell it.

I have a brand new instrument cluster for sale, if anyone is interested!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 339 Posts

Given that the centre gauges are only voltage, time and oil pressure, the only one that would be difficult to wire up would be the oil pressure gauge. If it was me I would just use a resistor so that the oil pressure gauge shows a dummy reading and live with it like that.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dibbit
Given that the centre gauges are only voltage, time and oil pressure, the only one that would be difficult to wire up would be the oil pressure gauge. If it was me I would just use a resistor so that the oil pressure gauge shows a dummy reading and live with it like that.
Actually, and unfortunately, I do not think it is that simple unless you use aftermarket gauges. I believe the factory gauges are electronic stepper motor driven from the instrument cluster computer.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-04-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I was thinking this when I woke up this morning... that the oil pressure is probably the only difficult gauge. I don't care about the dummy lights... but I guess I'll need to test the 3 gauge cluster to see what signals it takes to actuate the gauges themselves and go from there.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

This sounds like the batcall for XKRacer. I thought he had done this exact swap before? I never wanted a nav system in car, I get lost enough as it is without anyone or thing helping.

Also, you can see in this pic of my car, just something a little nice about my old 00:

Old 05-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hmm.... I forgot to ask the service guy if there is a different ECM for nav/non-nav, but since they're using completely different wiring harnesses I'd assume (and have been told) that the computer is either different or programmed differently. Hmm..

I wish I had paid more attention to my father before he passed away. He was an electrical engineer and something like this would have been a no-brainer.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member

If one on you guys who already purchased the gauge cluster wants to loan it to me, I can see what I can come up with. I have an XKR and am a graduate level EE with 30+ years in the biz. I can't guarantee anything, but I can certainly see what might be feasible. PM me if interested.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey you guys take WhiteXKR up on his offer. I want to know...I started a thread on this months ago...which led to discussion on Ultra Gauge (i think) that I guess didn't really work out for some.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member

Actually, and unfortunately, I do not think it is that simple unless you use aftermarket gauges. I believe the factory gauges are electronic stepper motor driven from the instrument cluster computer.
Wow, they do like to make things complicated in the name of progress.

Surely though, the voltmeter is just a voltmeter isn't it? I can see the benefit in running the oil pressure gauge off a network, but the voltmeter?

Maybe take the oil pressure gauge apart and superglue the needle in the middle position.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
This sounds like the batcall for XKRacer. I thought he had done this exact swap before?
Yes I have done it but like I said in the post, the loom is not there and I used aftermarket gauges, which worked a lot better, more accurate.

The oil pressure was easy, you just use the original take off with a T piece or there is actually an unused connector to fit to either a capillary type gauge or an electrical sender. The hardest job was finding an analogue clock in 52mm, ideally you would want all the gauges from the same supplier so they would match but not all do tick tock clocks.

At a push you could have the faces of the gauges changed to match the OE completely, no one would be any the wiser and they would tell the truth

Old 05-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, they do like to make things complicated in the name of progress.

Surely though, the voltmeter is just a voltmeter isn't it? I can see the benefit in running the oil pressure gauge off a network, but the voltmeter?

Maybe take the oil pressure gauge apart and superglue the needle in the middle position.
Amazingly, the voltmeter is also stepper motor driven. My guess is Jaguar thought their customers would get nervous and bother the dealers with fluctuations in voltage and oil pressure...so the computer smooths them out and effectively turns the meters into idiot lights with pointers.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Why don't you retrofit some aftermarket gauges!!
I've got the 3 gauge cluster in my XKR but I'm thinking about stripping the clock and amp meter out and replace it with
Supercharger boost gauge
Oil Temperature gauge

Old 05-06-2011, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

Amazingly, the voltmeter is also stepper motor driven. My guess is Jaguar thought their customers would get nervous and bother the dealers with fluctuations in voltage and oil pressure...so the computer smooths them out and effectively turns the meters into idiot lights with pointers.
I suppose that is progress for you - when the voltmeter doesn't measure the actual voltage, just the voltage the computer thinks you should be seeing.

Do you know if the gauges run from one data bus, or have individual connections back to the computer? My thought being that even if the wires aren't there in the loom, you would just have to connect the gauges to the data bus to retro-fit them.

My (useless) sat nav screen is starting to look more appealing...

Old 05-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Do you know if the gauges run from one data bus, or have individual connections back to the computer? My thought being that even if the wires aren't there in the loom, you would just have to connect the gauges to the data bus to retro-fit them.
It might be as simple as just adding the connections..I cannot tell for sure from the circuit diagram. It looks as if each guage has a 4-wire connection. That would initially lead me to believe the signals are the actual stepper motor drives (2-coils, 2 wires each), which is typical for simple steppers. The diagram, however labels two wires of each meter as inputs, and two wires as outputs, which is perplexing, since stepper drivers would be all outputs. I really need to get my hands on one to figure it out.

I will donate my time to the cause if someone would send me their gauge pod to analyze. It will be returned undamaged.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-06-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

4 connections: ground, 12v, signal, lights? Or is that too obvious for something hi-tech?

I don't have the gauges myself, so can't look or send them to you - I'm sure someone one here will have though.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Actually each gauge has the four wire connection I described above. In addition, the entire module has a +12v, ground, and an illumination supply. In addition there are battery and oil pressure warning signals.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

I'll be able to send mine out in a couple of days. PM sent.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member

Actually each gauge has the four wire connection I described above. In addition, the entire module has a +12v, ground, and an illumination supply. In addition there are battery and oil pressure warning signals.
Its going to be really interesting to hear what you find out when you get your hands on the gauges - and to speculate as to why Jaguar did it the way they did, because at the moment it seems like a lot of extra complexity for very little benefit.

Quick Reply: My dreams have been crushed (3 gague center cluster for XKR) /madface