XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My engine coolant color is orange

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Default My engine coolant color is orange

I intend to change a little hose in front / top and was wondering what coolant to use to top off?
I won't be able to flush, so I'm hoping to lose some coolant and replace.

What coolant should I buy?
It's the orange one.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm sort of a rookie around here but there's been mass threads about this.. in the manual there's a specification number I think starts out with a WDD.. and on the radiator cap it tells you that number. Long as you get coolant (any color) that fits that specification you should be ok..

(heard dextron is the one you can get aftermarket.. and it comes orange..)

I got confused and frustrated, and paid for the Jaguar brand which is expennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsive!

Old 09-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

You can get Motorcraft orange at any Ford dealer.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:06 PM

Ok, sorry.. I changed my mind...
I'll change the hose, and bring to mechanic for flush and refill.
I looked at the service records, and all hoses, water pump, housing and thermostat was changed 9 years ago, and only 6k miles ago.

The hose in question is this little one.
When I did my oil change, my mechanic suggested I "keep an eye on it".

Your thoughts?
Any PREFERRED coolant?

Old 09-15-2016, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I use the appropriate Prestone DexCool in both of our Jaguars. It meets the coolant specs for our cars (2005 S-Type and 2006 XK8) and I've had no issues with it. And yes, it is orange....

Old 09-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
Ok, sorry.. I changed my mind...
I'll change the hose, and bring to mechanic for flush and refill.
I looked at the service records, and all hoses, water pump, housing and thermostat was changed 9 years ago, and only 6k miles ago.

The hose in question is this little one.
When I did my oil change, my mechanic suggested I "keep an eye on it".

Your thoughts?
Any PREFERRED coolant?

I run the Prestone DexCool in my '03 XKR as well; do not mix different colored coolants as this could result in the 'coolant gelling'. Coolant colors have become fairly standardized, but you may still come across a 'Universal Coolant' that does not meet the standards of the Cooling System.

If you are talking about the short length of hose that appears to be bulging at one side, you will notice if you look at the picture, at the bottom of the hose, and can barely be seen at the top, that there are two 'shoulders' molded into the pipe, one at the top and one at the bottom. You can also see that this hose was cut to size and unevenly at that. This makes it too long and uneven, with one side being longer, and the limited space, and the side that is bulging is longer and is pushing against these shoulders and the extra rubber material from the hose is bulging as a result. Mine appears the same except the bulging is uniform, and I can clearly see on mine that it was a 'cut to fit' piece of hose, and was cut too long to fit properly and is bulging out as a result. You could probably trim that piece in situ, carefully with a box knife, remove some material from the uneven side, release pressure from the clamp, and 'smooth' it down, and back to a uniform shape eliminating the bulge at one side and re clamp the hose. This way you do not lose coolant from the hose, but you should still 'burp' the system after you are done, squeezing the hoses from the bottom up to expel air from the recovery tank.

However, if you are talking about the smaller hose that is on the bottom left corner of the picture, that looks like the crappy clamps that were used instead of a 'washer, or gear clamp' has degenerated and is no longer capable of holding the hose tightly to the fitting, and it is being forced off as a result. That hose on the lower left corner may also be leaking coolant under pressure, judging from the white flaky residue that is around the fitting pipe where it has slid back. The type of coolant leak from the smaller hose would go undetected, and lower your tank a few ounces a week or so, and evaporate as soon as it hit the hot engine, removing traces of a leak. That hose does not need to be removed either, just push the hose back up the fitting, remove the old clamp, and open a 'washer clamp', so that it can be wrapped around the hose without removing the hose, and thread it back into the gear and screw it down tight to secure the hose.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 09-15-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:43 PM

Thank you.
I'll address accordingly.