XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New XK

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My New XK

Ok, I bought it. Here is the car, unlimited warranty and all.

If anybody knows why I shouldn't fork over the cash to this Dealer site unseen (I drove other XK's but insisted on RED), then let me know before I commit a Cashiers check.

Thanks Dudes. This is my first Jag and I want it to be a good experience!

Here's the site I bought from. This is the extact car I intent to collect next week.

http://www.bimmers-benz.com/bb/inven....cfm?CarID=613

Tips and advice appreciated.

Signed,

A Nervous Jack Rabbit

Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My New XK

You're asking in a forum for X-Types. The experience with the XK is going to be limited here. Anyhow, the car is probably one of the better build Jaguars out there. As far as the value, you may find herself finding it hard to get your money back if you decide to sell the car.

Also, the warranty is a good deal but the majority of the issues you will probably have will be "fit and finish" and "electrical" related. They don't apear to be covered.

Is it worth it? It is if you like the car.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:56 PM

I do love the car and am aware of the Jaguar idiosyncracies but really felt the extra warranty was pretty good given the expense of replacing drive train components.

It's just a toy for me. I have other cars/trucks, so it's all fun to me. I didn't buy it with the idea I'd make money off it.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Like said before, nice whip(it's a jag)! I'm moving this to the XK section, and I deleted the other thread you started there since this one has had responses! How much did you pay for it?

Old 05-23-2007, 04:46 PM

I paid $17K + $1500 for the warranty, so the bill came out to $18.8K in total.

Of course, I still need to pay the illustrious CT sales tax etc when I hit the DMV.

I just hope it passes emissions. I've noticed that a lot of XK's fail. Could be simple. Could be expensive. The Dealer is in Queens and signed a note to fix any problems but Queens is not particularly convenient when you live along the Eastern CT shoreline.

Oh, and in case anybody is curious, that is my Girlfriend in my siggy.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks to be in good shape.

You might want to take it to a Jag dealer for an inspection to make sure everything is good.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To Iron cobra there is at least one XK8 owner in this forum.

U got any questions, just ask me...if i Don't know the answer I can get it for u

Old 05-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think you will have inspection problems. Ours seem to either pass or have catastrophic failure. Doesn't seem to be a lot of in between.

Good looking ride, sir! Drive fast, brake hard!

Old 05-26-2007, 03:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

You gotta love the color, good choice! That color (in the special edition, red interior, etc..was on my short list as well) It does seem to be in really good shape by the pics, and the recent service can't hurt. Yah, the electrical system will most likely frustrate you from time to time, but as long as the 'quirks' are in the minor systems (as mine have been) there isn't anything to be worried about. Enjoy the beautiful weather! I know I have had my top down every chance I can get...until the summer temps reach 90->100degF.

There isn't alot of activity around here for xk8/xkr owners, so I hope you'll drop by and contribute as much as I intend to. Photography is my other passion.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: h20boy

There isn't alot of activity around here for xk8/xkr owners, so I hope you'll drop by and contribute as much as I intend to. Photography is my other passion.
Not here in CT either. I live in an area where people are generally well off financially but all I see is BMW/BENZ/AUDI/VET/PORSCHE, etc, when it comes to convertibles but hardly an XK in sight. I did see an older XJS the other day but that is it.

I pick it up on Thursday. I can't wait! I think the XKs are the sexiest rag top out there, next to the Aston Martin, which is why I bought one.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Old 06-01-2007, 08:35 PM

thats a damn fine looking xk you got there. all you need is the arden body kit and some 02+ xkr wheels and she'll be a real eye catcher

Old 06-01-2007, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: somekidzenvy

thats a damn fine looking xk you got there. all you need is the arden body kit and some 02+ xkr wheels and she'll be a real eye catcher
Links for this gear?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

You should get the leather convertible top cover. Keeps the noise down when your driving and probably protects the interior of the top cover.

Should only be a hundred dollars or something, I'm very suprised your dealer didn't give it to you with the car, perhaps you should complain.

Looks great tho man, love the paint job. Idk if I would put any body kits on it, but I would definatly replace those wheels. My 2000 is pretty nice 5 spoke 18 inch rims. Idk where you would get them try looking it up on ebay.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: 93xj6

You should get the leather convertible top cover. Keeps the noise down when your driving and probably protects the interior of the top cover.

Should only be a hundred dollars or something, I'm very suprised your dealer didn't give it to you with the car, perhaps you should complain.

Looks great tho man, love the paint job. Idk if I would put any body kits on it, but I would definatly replace those wheels. My 2000 is pretty nice 5 spoke 18 inch rims. Idk where you would get them try looking it up on ebay.
No cover with the car. I am going to call the Dealer today about that. Also, only one key. As you know, they aren't the kind of key your local Mom & Pop hardware store is going to copy for you.

It also develops a disturbing front end vibration at 70 mph+. I don't know what the hell that is all about. I had it up to about 110 mph so far.

Sorry for my rants last night. I was drunk.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jack Rabbit
No cover with the car. I am going to call the Dealer today about that.

Mine tried the same thing on me. I did, however, catch it before driving away. That and a navigation DVD, which wasn't there! Geesh! Anyway, if the dealer refuses to get you one as part of your purchase, there's a guy on Ebay that manufacturers, and sells new covers that are really high quality, and closely matches the original color for $350 (email me, i'll get you in touch with him privately if you want). I told you I caught my dealer trying to sell me the car with one right, but I wasn't as diligent aboutchecking that it was the wrong color boot! Sold it on ebay for $325, and bought a new one.

ORIGINAL: Jack Rabbit
Also, only one key.
As you know, they aren't the kind of key your local Mom & Pop hardware store is going to copy for you.

That's too bad, but not a dealbreaker IMO. Unofortunately not every used vehicle comes with both keys and a valet one as well. I would try to find a remote and a key from an ebay source, then drop it buy a dealer for the ol' programming magic. If you're lucky, he may combine the labor for programming the remote and key into a smaller total. I recommend lots of compliments and excitement about all of the scheduled maintenance you plan on having taken care of. (even if it isn't true)

ORIGINAL: Jack RabbitIt also develops a disturbing front end vibration at 70 mph+. I don't know what the hell that is all about.

Let's hope just out of balance sneakers.

ORIGINAL: Jack RabbitIt Sorry for my rants last night. I was drunk.
Ahhh, the good ol days. I don't miss the hangovers though.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:57 PM

Dude, e-mail me (burnbucket@yahoo.com) the number of the guy that makes covers. I'm afraid I'll tear the liner at highway speeds if I keep driving without one with the top down.

I also need another ring pull fastener. One is missing.

I talked to the Dealer today. No dice on the cover or the extra keys (they bought at auction, etc).

They suggested I have the tires rotated and balanced to correct the vibratrion and the more I drive the car the more I feel that may be the culprit.

I drove the hell out of it today with the top down and it seemed to have less vibration than before.

All in all, I LOVE this car. For the money I paid, I can't bitch too loud

Old 06-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They suggested I have the tires rotated and balanced to correct the vibratrion and the more I drive the car the more I feel that may be the culprit.

I drove the hell out of it today with the top down and it seemed to have less vibration than before.
You may need to have the tires "road force" balanced. Call the tire shops in your area and ask them if they have the Hunter GSP9700 road force balancing equipment. If it is the tires that equipment should correct it.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:04 PM

What's really pissing me off are the cat callers.

I mean WTF?

I live VERY well for asingle Dude. I paid cash for the f*ing car. I don't need this "Hey man, you ain't well endowed?"

F*CK THAT!!

NO...MORE... HEAD... TRIPS!!!!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

I have no idea what that post was about.

Hitting the Gin early man?

Quick Reply: My New XK