XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My XK8 Youtube exhaust videos

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My XK8 Youtube exhaust videos

Hey all. '97 XK8 coupe/ Aston Martin project. I'm out of the New member section now and posting here.. Intro and pics are there if interested. I'm on a quest to make the car sound "exotic" and have posted a few videos of what the car's sounding like as I remove mufflers. Stock Jaguar XK8 exhaust.mp4 - YouTube So far I have how it sounds stock, without 2 rearmost mufflers, & without rearmost 4 mufflers.. This week, I plan on cutting out that single, long muffler and seeing how that sounds (sure too loud and obnoxious) and then I'll decide what to do with the cats. Any ideas on mufflers to try? I plan on trying a few different kinds and recording it.. Ronnie

Old 11-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Default Posted a new exhaust video (Cats only)

I cut the single long muffler off and it's sounding better revved but typical V8 burble at idle and droning at midrange rpms... Check it out.. Probably throw a set of flowmasters on and video that.. Ronnie

jag cats only.mp4 - YouTube

Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Ronnie, who makes the front-end kit that you are installing? Thanks, Ed.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I threw Flowmaster 40's and a H-pipe on mine, so if you want an idea of what yours would sound like (or just want to know more) click here

Old 11-22-2011, 02:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Jesus Christ, your exhaust sounds like a lion having an orgasm. Awesome!! I want that!!

Any chance of telling us how you removed the long single muffler?

Last edited by Frog; 11-22-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Your car sounds fine , thanks for the videos

Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Default Orgasm huh? lol

Hey, Keith. I've seen your videos several times. I like yours because you're actually driving the car.... And, it sounds great!

Ed, how's it going. The company website is: CAR KIT INC. Fiberglass Supercar Replica Kits They do mostly Lambo kits but they're the only Aston kit people I found in the US. They're in Alabama and I'd personally give them and 4.5 of 5 stars for feedback. Good Southern people...

Westra, I'd already removed everything behind that single muffler so a grinding wheel and hacksaw finished it off pretty quickly.. I cut the pipes off right before going into the single, long muffler. If I can keep the idle and revving sound it now has and just get rid of the drone and loudness off idle, I'd be happy with it. I just got to thinking what if I hooked those stock resonators (the ones behind the single long muffler) up to the cats-only? Let me go look and see if it's possible.. R

The following users liked this post:
edtexas (11-23-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Default New video. cats only with resonators

Hey all. I'm back at it again.. I took a look into the mufflers and noticed the stock resonators are a simple perforated glasspack design. So, I hooked them up and I like the sound.. Nice decel brap/backfire that sounds cleaner than a typical carbureted glasspack. Still too loud for the street so I'm on to trying more stuff.. Let me know what you think. Stay tuned! Ronnie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UL...yer_detailpage

Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Ronnie, is that a Superbird in your garage?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

In that last video, which ones did you hook back up, the small mufflers in front of the rear axle, or the bigger mufflers behind the axle? I've already replaced the center muffler with an X-pipe and the sound didn't change much. I want to ditch two more mufflers, but I'm not sure if I want to get rid of the front pair or the back pair. Your setup in that last video is too loud for my taste, so I want to remove whatever you kept and keep whatever you removed.

By the way, is that an early 70's Charger in the bay to the right?

Oh yeah... I don't think you'll gain anything by fiddling with the cats. It will screw with your O2 sensors and throw codes, and in a non-aspirated car they aren't creating enough back-pressure to affect your performance much.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Default Mystery machine in the next bay..

Morning. Go here and you'll see my other cars:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-w-pics-62465/

Good guess, OhioXK. It's a Roadrunner and I have all the Superbird stuff for it. You guys are pretty impressive with identifying cars. One guy saw the front of the Roadrunner (no grille or fenders) and identified it as a Mopar just by the radiator support!

I used the small resonators right behind the single, long muffler. The rearmost (bumper) mufflers look like they have the same perforated tube design just with a larger case. Never know, those mufflers may cut the sound down to your liking and that wouldn't cost you anything. Maybe I'll hook those up to the cats only and see how that sounds.. I am not even fooling with the cats. I'm not impressed with that 90 degree turn at the bottom of the cats but I'll live with it. I've read those throwing codes stories! I can tell the cats are muffling some sound though. When I hold part throttle - 2000 rpms (usually the second rev in the videos) the car sound settles out and gets quieter before I hit it. Weird to me that it gets quieter but I'd really like to hear how it'd sound under load going down the highway. Ok, on with the science project.. lol R

Old 12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Default I say rip it all out, Sam!

Hey, Sam. I'd read about the exhaust pipes being flattened to go over the IRS. I took a pic to show you the difference in diameters. Notice it's dimpled too in one spot also... That's why I say run all new plumbing. I don't know though, it was kinda hard getting those pipes out and maybe they're flattened for a reason.. Cross section isn't that far off either so maybe leaving "well enough" alone is good enough...I'm going side exhaust so I don't have to deal with it...

Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 AM

I moved all my build progress, pics, & etc. to one forum.. just search - "Virginia Aston lumper" .... R

Old 04-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

finish the 70 bird!

BEEP BEEP

Old 05-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Video #2 Exhaust sounds great.