XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nameless Downpipes - lots of photos - great product, crappy customer service

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Nameless Downpipes - lots of photos - great product, crappy customer service

Hello guys;

A couple of weeks ago, I finally had the time to install my new Nameless Performance downpipes. I ordered the hi-flow 200-cell variety. As I was shopping these things, I noticed there weren't many good photographs of the pipes available, and the photos on the NAMELESS WEBSITE don't give a close look, either. So I've included a number of photos in this thread for those who want to take a closer look.

First, a short rant. Nameless Performance makes great products. The pipes are well fabricated and beautiful to behold. The customer service from this small company is terrible, however. At least one other forum member I've been in contact with confirms this. Calls simply don't get returned. At all.

Long story short, there was a delay in delivery as the Nameless guys tweaked the pipes to better fit early cars like my 1997. I appreciate the fact that they made these tweaks, but they did nothing to update me or the other member on the order progress, even though we had already paid them more than $ 900. In addition, I had ordered a flange-fit exit for the pipes, and was shipped a slip-fit. Called them to talk about it...got voicemail, no return call. Decided to stay with slip-fit (not that I had a choice, evidently), and had a quick technical question on install day. Got voicemail, no return call.

After dropping more than $ 900 on the pipes and shipping, I was not impressed.

I have great respect for what Nameless is producing, but their customer service does not measure up to their product standards, at least as of this writing. I hope they get it sorted out someday...their products deserve better, and of course their customers deserve better, too.

OK, on to the photos. Here are some views of the new pipes as shipped.

Full view:

Name:  DownpipeNamelessPerformanceHi-Flow200cellbeforeinstallationJune2012b.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  47.9 KB

Flange to exhaust header, and upper O2 sensor port:

Name:  DownpipeNamelessPerformanceHi-Flow200cellbeforeinstallationJune2012d.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  DownpipeNamelessPerformanceHi-Flow200cellbeforeinstallationJune2012c.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  67.3 KB

Lower slip-fit exit and lower O2 sensor port:

Name:  DownpipeNamelessPerformanceHi-Flow200cellbeforeinstallationJune2012a.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  61.9 KB

A look down the throat of the downpipe, to the packing material (that grainy stuff on the inside of the pipe is dust):

Name:  DownpipeNamelessPerformancewithupper02sensorandcoppergasketinplaceJune2012.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  64.9 KB

New downpipe and stock unit - great improvements in weight, space and general awesomeness:

Name:  DownpipesNamelessPerformancevsStockwithO2sensors.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  114.0 KB

Bosch UPPER O2 sensor for my 1997, from box and installed - well made and no codes:

Name:  O2SensorUpperBosch15048.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  UpperO2SensorinstalledintoNamelessdownpipeJune2012.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  82.6 KB

Bosch LOWER O2 sensor for my 1997, from box and installed:

Name:  O2SensorLowerBosch15633.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  76.9 KB

Name:  LowerO2sensorinstalledintoNamelessdownpipeJune2012.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  63.2 KB

Overall, I'm very happy with these pipes. My coupe has a nice throaty growl, the engine is breathing more freely and putting the foot down is great in new ways. After a hard reset of the ECM, the computer took a while to adjust to the new O2 sensors and increased flow, playing with fuel trims for a few days, but it has settled now and all readings are good.

Thanks goes out to Mark B (Daddyo007) for his help with this project...we were ordering and installing into our early cars around the same time.

Cheers, fellas.

The following 5 users liked this post by The Coupe:
Bad Cattitude (06-13-2014), Jag Pilot (01-19-2013), Jeff in Tucson (07-05-2012), plums (07-05-2012), RCSign (06-13-2014)
Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Other than being pretty to look at and creating more exhaust noise, what gains can be expected from spending the $900 plus installation? I have asked several times now if there were any actual measured results anyone had done to show how much impact this had on torque/hp and also what that impact would have on actual driving conditions (e.g., 0-60 times, fuel economy, etc.)

Doug

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (02-17-2013)
Old 07-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Other than being pretty to look at and creating more exhaust noise, what gains can be expected from spending the $900 plus installation? I have asked several times now if there were any actual measured results anyone had done to show how much impact this had on torque/hp and also what that impact would have on actual driving conditions (e.g., 0-60 times, fuel economy, etc.)

Doug

Legitimate questions, and I purchased even though those answers hadn't really been definitively answered. I needed a new left-side cat anyway, so decided to go with better exhaust flow, less weight and better growl. Those gains are real. If there are measurable bhp and 0-60 gains, great, but those gains weren't the driver for my purchase.

I do seem to remember some dyno results posted by Nameless from a forum member's car when they were testing. Early thread, I suppose.

As for installation, I did it myself. No extra cost there, except for a lot of sweat. It was a VERY hot day.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  19.3 KB

Coupe - Thanks so much for taking the time to post as in depth as you have including the pics and general experience.

To be honest, when I first saw the thread title my gut reaction was to close it down. Having read through it I feel it should remain open however.

I was going to ask, if in fairness you have since contacted Nameless to praise them for their great products etc but also take them to task for the poor customer service, as you put it. I'm guessing that the answer will be a resounding no on that then?

Hopefully Jason will react to these comments and perhaps improve in that area?

Thanks for sharing.........

Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Looking at the nameless contact page, they have committed two common errors in ecommerce.

First, they use a email contact form with a captcha. This is a huge deterrent to some potential customers who want to use email. Obviously they do this to cut down on spam harvesting. But, there are effective ways to display email addresses while still keeping harvesting bots away.

Second, they publish a phone number but try in the nicest way to discourage use of the phone. They do not promise a callback even in the face of a warning that most calls will go to voicemail. There is a school of thought in the ecommerce world that publishing a phone number evokes trust. However, if the business does not want to use the phone and has no policy goal of returning every call in a specific time frame, then it can backfire on them. In that case, it is better to not publish the phone number and funnel the communications through a channel that will receive a timely response.

The manner in which an internet business handles communications can make or break the business as it is their only opportunity to interact with potential customers.

$0.02, ymmv and all that.

Last edited by plums; 07-05-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
I was going to ask, if in fairness you have since contacted Nameless to praise them for their great products etc but also take them to task for the poor customer service, as you put it.

Jim,

I haven't attempted to contact Nameless again. They have plenty of my voicemails already. And I'd like to reiterate that I am a big fan of their products. Nameless is a small shop of likely very passionate guys, making some great stuff. But they need to be present in their communications with paying customers.

The following 2 users liked this post by The Coupe:
JimC64 (02-17-2013), RCSign (06-13-2014)
Old 07-06-2012, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Coupe,
suffice to say, your message is clear and concise and one we all agree with I'm sure.

We all get that you liked the product but feel seriously let down by the customer service side.

Hopefully, Jason or someone else from Nameless will be able to explain at some point what happened their end to make you feel like this?

It would be great to get some kind of answer, some resolution on this one way or another...............there's nothing worse than not knowing and making assumptions.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

great write up!

I think I will be doing the test pipes on mine and a new exhaust. I am having a supercharger ported and will be installing a lower pulley. I want to do it all at the same time.

The exhaust looks very sanitary

Old 08-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Any updates about these guys? Have they ever responded?

Doug

Old 01-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Best way to contact them is via chat on the website. They are in Washington so be aware of the time although they usually are still there in the shop but not in front of the computer.

Not making excuses for them, but since inception of the first downpipes for our Jaguars back in 2010 (actually their first product) they have grown to 7 employees and are mass producing exhaust sets for a variety of cars.

When I spoke with Jason last night ((8:00P.M. my time) he told me that there could be daelays in my pipes (which I have not even ordered yet) depending on production rolls of their other products. It seems that they only sell about 2 sets of downpipes (for the Jags)a month and have to retool for the Jaguar pipes when they fabricate them. The shop virtually stops production on mass production of other pipes to get just 1 or 2 sets of Jag pipes made (hence the high price)

The call was a sales call for Jason so he was available then so i can understand the frustration of un-returned calls. I would be upset as well. Going forward I would recommend contact thru web chat as he seemed to be readily available.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

PS I will ask him to check out this thread. I would imagine he would not want any disgruntled customers. Not good for business I agree

Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I think the NP cats are great. I didn't have any service problems from them, I just felt kinda ripped off.

I didn't get in on the original group buy at the introductory price. And I was fine with that. They stated a normal price on the group buy post as well. That price was invalid. They had a higher price on their website. I was fine with that. That price was invalid... when I got them on the phone they said, oh, that wasn't the price they're $9xx something. So, not having recourse to purchase from anyone else, I bought them. By the time I had purchased from them, their normal price had gone up 3 times, not including the introductory group by price.

Oh well, no biggie. I'll just never buy **** from them again.

The following users liked this post:
Premier1one (01-19-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Just ordered a set of the cats....looking forward to installation of the cats and a new custom exhaust with guidance for the change from Dan Russo w/ AJ Motorworks (a trusted member here)

Old 06-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Doug
Does anyone actually have the answer for this old enquiry? Valid questions.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Juke
Somewhere between 7 to 20-ish bhp gain, depending on whose data you're looking at.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like you have been doing a good job of reviving long-dead threads

I used to like doing little mods like this, especially if the price was right. But not only could I not justify the bang-for-the-buck (at least yet), I was concerned about exhaust noise getting too loud for my taste. I have to admit though that they look nice.

Doug

Old 06-13-2014, 05:34 PM

Looks like you have been doing a good job of reviving long-dead threads

I used to like doing little mods like this, especially if the price was right. But not only could I not justify the bang-for-the-buck (at least yet), I was concerned about exhaust noise getting too loud for my taste. I have to admit though that they look nice.

Doug
I'm just utilizing the search feature before I bug the crap out of y'all. Lol

Couldn't you just buy magna flow 200 cell cats and fabricate to get the flow and sound? Now it's not going to be stainless or pretty LOL

Old 06-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Downpipe

You'd still need a custom downpipe and then you'd have to plumb the Oxygen sensors and if you dropped into restricted performance you'd be on your own. MacLeod is working on a set like this but hasn't finished yet.

I have a set of the Nameless cats and love them.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Couldn't you just buy magna flow 200 cell cats and fabricate to get the flow and sound? Now it's not going to be stainless or pretty LOL
That's the best way to go, I have done it to mine xkr. I think Nameless downpipes utilize magnaflow cat conv - they look exactly the same.
If you want to pay 400 $ for 4 elbows and 2 flanges - go for it

Last edited by Krajcok; 06-13-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Did you use the 200 or 300 cell cats from magna flow or what brand? There's a company that sell stainless cats with O2 bungs that look just like it. Plus offer many other components for us on a tighter budget.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=260845552792#ht_2157wt_1344

Originally Posted by Krajcok
That's the best way to go, I have done it to mine xkr. I think Nameless downpipes utilize magnaflow cat conv - they look the If u want to pay 400 $ for 4 elbows and 2 flanges - go for it

Old 06-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

Juke - nice but those are coming out of Australia - may want to check shipping

Quick Reply: Nameless Downpipes - lots of photos - great product, crappy customer service