XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Audio doesn't work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Navigation Audio doesn't work.

I have a 2004 XKR I had bought used. The audible portion of the Nav system doesn't seem to function properly. The radio is set properly for Navigation Audio through the mode switch - currently on Max. Also, the Navigation Menu options seem to be set correctly (Language is set to English and Voice Prompt set to maximum). When I put a destination into the GPS, the GPS will guide me there silently.
However, I would like to note that when I touch the GPS "repeat" button to the right of the GPS it will talk the one current command. However, I shouldn't have to constantly be touching the repeat button to hear an audible GPS instruction. I should be able to hear the GPS instructions for every turn without pressing the "repeat" button. Any ideas or help would be appreciated to make this GPS work so I don't have to keep glancing constantly at the NAV screen to make sure I don't miss a turn by passing it.
I would also like to add that the Navigation manual states that voice guidance will be muted if a phone call is in progress. I do not have a phone in my XKR, but am thinking maybe for some reason the Navigation system thinks there is an active call so that it stays muted???

Last edited by Red1bw; 12-03-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Strange problem. Phone mute would also mute the radio, so I think it is unrelated. About all I can suggest is to disconnect the battery for a minute or so and then reconnect to reboot the nav and audio systems.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Red1bw (12-04-2011), wcnesta (05-23-2012)
Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the battery disconnect and that didn't work. The radio works fine, so it makes since what you said about it probably not being a phone mute issue. I also double checked the radio setup to ensure that the "telephone mute" radio setup (preset 4) is off. These are the items you get to in the radio by pressing tape eject and AM/FM simultaneously. Again, if I hit the NAV repeat it tells me the current instruction verbally - just not without pressing it. If anyone has any other ideas I'd be grateful.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Does your DVD look like a factory disk or a copy? Also, do you have the clock or the leaper on the start-up display?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 PM

It shows the clock at startup. The DVD is a Jaguar disc (NAVTEC ONBOARD / DISTRONICS DISC/ ALPINE ELECTRONICS LIMITED / JAGUAR NAVIGATION SYSTEM USA CANADA), Jag part number LJG2441GA, Alpine part number BM9JU91E. Newest date on it is 2002- car manufactured in 2003 as a 2004 model.
I'm wondering if maybe on the inside or back of the DVD player or display there are maybe dip switches that could control that. It functions perfectly in all other aspects.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RED1BW
It shows the clock at startup. The DVD is a Jaguar disc (NAVTEC ONBOARD / DISTRONICS DISC/ ALPINE ELECTRONICS LIMITED / JAGUAR NAVIGATION SYSTEM USA CANADA), Jag part number LJG2441GA, Alpine part number BM9JU91E. Newest date on it is 2002- car manufactured in 2003 as a 2004 model.
I'm wondering if maybe on the inside or back of the DVD player or display there are maybe dip switches that could control that. It functions perfectly in all other aspects.
That all looks good. Here are a couple more ideas:

-I am reaching here a bit, but I would say make a copy (disk to disk) on your PC onto a DVD R+ or R- and see if the copy works and if the PC reports any read errors. The Nav software boots off of the DVD. I am thinking there is a good likelihood that the PC has more up to date DVD error recovery and detection hardware and software that is superior to what is in the nav. system.

-If you take the nav. unit out looking for a switch, see if there is a STD/Premium audio switch (I am not sure if there is one or not) and make sure it is set to premium. The headunit definitely has a std/premium switch on its chassis, and it might be worthwhile to verify that it is set correctly.

If it still does not work, the line level premium navigation audio comes out on pins 9, brown(+) and 10, green(-) of the 16 pin black connector on the side of the Nav. DVD player. The mute output signal is pin 13, red, and mutes the radio when it switches to a +12v level. You can then monitor the audio (such as with headphones or line input of some old powered computer speakers) and the mute with a voltmeter to try to isolate a potential problem between the nav. unit and the audio system.

There are also separate standard audio navigation output, pin 11 (+) and pin 12 (-). The standard audio mute is still on pin 13. Pins 11 and 12 are probably unconnected on your car.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-04-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: clarifications
The following users liked this post:
Red1bw (12-09-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 AM

WHITEXKR, you have given me several more things to work with that I doubt that I would have come up with. Thanks. It will probably take me several weeks to work through all this; but I will eventually update this post once I have some time to check these out.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 AM

Update:
- I have tried to make a copy of my Navigation DVD hoping that any minor data corruption could be fixed by copying (BER correction, etc...). I've had no luck using multiple DVD copy / image programs along with DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+R DL. I've read virtually all the forums and google on this matter and people have very mixed results. It's hard to believe that you need a specific manufacture of DVD, reader, etc...but this appears to be one of those things in which the stars really need to be aligned just right. However, I believe that another, 100% working disc will most likely fix this issue as I believe it is more likely to be software based than hardware based. I will probably buy something off eBay down the road.
-The head unit is and was set to premium. The switch can be moved with a small screwdriver and was either on the bottom or side of the radio. I knocked this out when changing my front fog switch bulb.
-At this point I did not check wiring as I feel this is least likely the culprit given when I hit the repeat button, radio is muted (when set to mute) and GPS instructions are sounded. However, if a verified DVD does not work I will eventually go here.
-I will update when I have anything more of value to add, but it will probably be some time given the upcoming holiday season.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I have the exact same problem with my 2002 XKR. About a year ago, I removed my factory disk to make a copy for another member, and when I replaced it my navigation didn't work at all for a couple of months. It slowly returned to functionality little bits at a time. The map would work for 5 minutes then read disc error, or the destination menu would come on for a minute or two. Finally, one day everything started working except for the sound. I also found that if I pressed the repeat button, it would give me the audible directions of the last command. To this day, it still operates this way. So, on the rare occasions that I use the nav., I just watch the screen for directions. If you find the solution, please post.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:09 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Red;

I have to say I am more impressed that you are still using the Nav system than by yet another quirky bit of Jaguar electrics.

But full marks for pursuing the answer so diligently.

When Whitey said:
-I am reaching here a bit, but I would say make a copy blah, blah, blah....the rest was just static to me.

My eyes rolled up in my head and I took a nap.....glad we have you guys out there to sort stuff out.

Good luck to the both of you figuring it out.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 AM
Default Nav still useful.

It's good to know that I am no longer alone, although this is clearly a rare issue.

Living in the Baltimore / DC metro area I still find the navigation very useful. There were still plenty of roads here in 2002, and they are still here. In most cases roads may have been widened, but the area is relatively packed and I find the current Nav system adequate, even for medium distance trips. I've never really used any GPS to find the closest restaurant, fast food, or gas station. I only need to drive about a mile to pass 10 of them. I prefer to use the factory rather than a Garmin (I have several of them but tend to keep them in the cars without a built in GPS, or one indoors to program an address and go). I also know at any time I can always pull over and use my iPhone, but I've never had to do that in 8 months yet of XKR ownership. The clean, built in- already there, GPS is preferable for my needs. I already have a mounted radar detector and a spot to balance my phone, so I really don't want anything else in the car to spill over or get in my way. Additionally, my XKR is my daily commuter, and generally isn't my long trip car (unless just me and I'm driving at times where I can really haul). So again, the built in GPS fits the bill. Plus, I like having my cars at 100%...whether the challenge, the pride of maintaining a low production / high - optioned sporty car, the pride of doing all car things myself (except mounting tires), the learning, or OCD.

Anyways, my next step will be to purchase a disc next time I see one relatively cheap on eBay. Thanks all.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Since you are in the DC metro area, another option is to just send me a PM. You are welcome to drop by over in Arlington...I have a couple of disks you can try.

Red1bw (12-15-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Red;

Glad the Nav system is good for you and that you are getting a lot of use out of your XKR.

For some reason the English and German Nav systems don't really like France...go figure...and have very sketchy info for this area.

I have a TomTom but like you don't really want to tack it on somewhere...when I have one in the car...though it can be amusing to use them both at the same time and listen to them argue about which way to go.

I would take Whitey up on his offer if I were you he seems to be one of the Anchors of information on this forum and would be worth the trip just for the war stories and future reference.

cheers to both of you,

jj

Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 PM

I have just bought on eBay the newer "F" version of the navigation DVD. So once I get that I will be able to try that DVD. I have no idea if there is a firmware update going from the E to the F version, but I hope so. If I remember I will write the versions down for the settings screen before I put in the newer DVD.

Does anyone know of any way to "wipe" the Navigation firmware so it will reload the next time a DVD is inserted? something to jumper, a special erase DVD, etc... Also, does anyone know if is it possible to go backwards with DVDs (from E to D, or would it use E firmware with older map data, or give error messages)?

Anyways, I'm hoping the newer "F" will give my GPS speech (and maybe even slightly updated roads too). If that doesn't fix it, then maybe when it warms up in late spring, I'll take WhiteXKR up on his offer of trying his DVD's in Arlington.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

no special switch or procedure needed to go to a newer firmware version, nor reverting back to an earlier one. Whichever disc is in the drive is the firmware that is loaded.

Red1bw (12-17-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 04:22 PM

So I finally received the 2003 "F" Navigation Disc and loaded it. It took some time between the clock screen without time, an error message, and a black screen, all multiple times along with an incremental-loading-don't turn engine off screen one time. Upon completion of loading I still have the same issue. GPS works without the voice, but voice is present when I hit the repeat button.
I then cleaned both discs. I then loaded the 2002 "E" disc, it uploaded the old updates flawlessly, and it ran as it always did before; and then I loaded the 2003 "F" disc, it updated flawlessly, and it ran as it did before. So unless there are any sure or relatively inexpensive ideas, I guess I'm stuck with my mute XKR.
The Navigation surely retains some information regardless of forward or backward updates. Whatever settings I choose and memorized points I had put in it are retained, along with immediately knowing its location (whereas a battery disconnect makes it lose its location for a couple minutes until it can get enough satellite info). I suspect some of the basic operation of it is also retained - especially given how fast the updates are for something that isn't made to be routinely updated. I think the firmware updates on the disc are relatively minor (clock vs leaper). Does anyone know of the alpine part number or jag part number of the navigation unit? I suspect somewhere online there are the alpine technical manuals of the GPS system to include how to wipe the thing completely. Is it hitting a combination of buttons, a special diagnostic disc, a dip switch internal to the unit...I suspect there is a way to troubleshoot it at the Alpine level).
I'm always open to ideas, and will post any other ideas or solutions, but my XKR may have finally outdone me on this thread short of replacing every related component.

Last edited by Red1bw; 12-26-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RED1BW
So I finally received the 2003 "F" Navigation Disc and loaded it. It took some time between the clock screen without time, an error message, and a black screen, all multiple times along with an incremental-loading-don't turn engine off screen one time. Upon completion of loading I still have the same issue. GPS works without the voice, but voice is present when I hit the repeat button.
I then cleaned both discs. I then loaded the 2002 "E" disc, it uploaded the old updates flawlessly, and it ran as it always did before; and then I loaded the 2003 "F" disc, it updated flawlessly, and it ran as it did before. So unless there are any sure or relatively inexpensive ideas, I guess I'm stuck with my mute XKR.
The Navigation surely retains some information regardless of forward or backward updates. Whatever settings I choose and memorized points I had put in it are retained, along with immediately knowing its location (whereas a battery disconnect makes it lose its location for a couple minutes until it can get enough satellite info). I suspect some of the basic operation of it is also retained - especially given how fast the updates are for something that isn't made to be routinely updated. I think the firmware updates on the disc are relatively minor (clock vs leaper). Does anyone know of the alpine part number or jag part number of the navigation unit? I suspect somewhere online there are the alpine technical manuals of the GPS system to include how to wipe the thing completely. Is it hitting a combination of buttons, a special diagnostic disc, a dip switch internal to the unit...I suspect there is a way to troubleshoot it at the Alpine level).
I'm always open to ideas, and will post any other ideas or solutions, but my XKR may have finally outdone me on this thread short of replacing every related component.
There is no doubt some boot firmware in the navigaton controller. It is hard to say the extent of the functions and software drivers it contains.

I would still be interested in monitoring the audio and mute signals as I described earlier, just to confirm the problem is one of the navigation not generating the signals, not one of the audio system not accepting them, though I agree the latter seems much less likely. There is a digital communications link between the two units, another reason this cannot be ruled out.

Next step after that would be to remove the nav. box and give it a thorough internal inspection. First look for any mismatched setting (as was also discussed earlier), then under a magnifer look broken traces, broken wires and poor solder joints. Clean and lubricate intenal connectors.

Alternatively, try to find a used one. Often the used prices on ebay are overinflated, but many used parts sellers will take an offer much lower.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-27-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:01 PM

As I don't have a garage, and it being winter and cold, and the days being short and dark, this is something I will probably tackle again when things warm up. Hopefully during that time I will pick up cheaply a used nav system online somewhere.
As for WhiteXKR suggestions, I'll have to look into the JTIS wiring diagrams. Not sure if that harness has to be plugged in to test your suggestions (does that harness have the power for the components being tested?) as I do not want to unnecessarily cut wires to test this. But if I can test them while it's unplugged I probably will once the weather is warmer, the days are longer, and ski / snowboard season is over. Thanks all for the help.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new nav disc

I had lack of nav system audio when I bought a used 2008 XJR. A Jag tech told me it most likely was a dirty or damaged disc. Cleaning didn't help. I replaced the disc and voila, everything normal. My original disc had a barely perceptible mar or scrape about 2 inches long about an inch from the edge and roughly concentric. Good luck. Seawolf

Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jags, I have similar problem on my Jag 02 x-type ..... black screen and no controls, blinking codes 50 and 51. Could you be so nice somebody who knows where I can get the DVD or image to burn to reinstall? Somebody said that will fix the problem. The VIN is: SAJEB51C32WC75582. I am in Florida and my e-mail is: pavelpobis@yahoo.com. I hope I am doing it right. I'm new in here. Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: Navigation Audio doesn't work.