XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation System Update DVD

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System Update DVD

I have a 2000 XKR with a navigation system. I just purchased this one to replace my original 2000 XKR which was totalled (sob!). The "new" one has the nav system but i am sure the DVD has never been upgraded. This is the Alpine system which they stopped supplying in 2007. Does anyone know where I can find an update DVD? Please help!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

There is no update past 2003. If you have the 'leaper' on the screen you have the earlier version, if you have the clock on the screen you have the later (2003) version.

They come up on ebay from time to time, but may not be worth the investment for a 2003 update.

The following users liked this post:
Markmbaha1 (01-31-2022)
Old 08-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

I think there's a link in the FAQ thread that goes into the various versions, but simply put, the last disc from Jag, alpine part BM9JG91F. I've got a backup copy from when my system was working in my car if you want to try it in yours...some have had trouble getting the 'backup' to do the firmware update (leaper to clock versions), but after that, the disc did just fine.

I wish there was some way I could get the NERO disc image out there on the internet for people to try to do it themselves w/ a download, but its huge, and I don't have a file hosting account that'll support the 4GB image file. Maybe when my company gets their FTP area up and running, I'll give it a go.

BTW, +R DVD is what you need if you try it at home.

The following 2 users liked this post by H20boy:
jimejag (03-17-2022), threemano (07-25-2012)
Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
I think there's a link in the FAQ thread that goes into the various versions, but simply put, the last disc from Jag, alpine part BM9JG91F. I've got a backup copy from when my system was working in my car if you want to try it in yours...some have had trouble getting the 'backup' to do the firmware update (leaper to clock versions), but after that, the disc did just fine.

I wish there was some way I could get the NERO disc image out there on the internet for people to try to do it themselves w/ a download, but its huge, and I don't have a file hosting account that'll support the 4GB image file. Maybe when my company gets their FTP area up and running, I'll give it a go.

BTW, +R DVD is what you need if you try it at home.
H2Oboy - Thanks for the info and the offer of your backup disk. Unfortunately, not being a computer type, I didn't understand most of your message (my fault, not yours) but i have 2 sons-in-law that are big time computer geeks and can interpret for me and make a copy of the disk and return it to you. Could you send it to: George Estok, <deleted>
Thank you. George Estok

Last edited by H20boy; 08-05-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: little privacy cleanup
Old 08-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

Hey george, a member stepped up with an offer to host the large file, and its on its way to the server as I type this. Check back tomorrow to this page, and hopefully a link will be provided so you, ahem...sorry, I meant your son-in-laws, can download it and burn the DVD. It was ripped using Nero, however, I'm sure it can be re-created using any DVD burning software capable of extracting the image file.

Remember, it may, or may not work if the firmware upgrade is dramatic, but hey, its worth a shot for the cost of a blank DVD eh? Please follow up with your results - hopefully with success overtones.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Veteran member
wlbusmcr (10-08-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Matt - the latter update that you wrote about (Alpine part BM9JG91F), is that the same one as what came with model year 2003 car?

If it is not, is it just a content update - meaning more places of interest, more up-to-date road info etc? The way the system works, the menu system etc - I assume is still the same?

Old 08-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy

Remember, it may, or may not work if the firmware upgrade is dramatic, but hey, its worth a shot for the cost of a blank DVD eh? Please follow up with your results - hopefully with success overtones.
Thought you might be interested to know that I have the original 2003 DVD (with clock); when I got my car earlier in the year I copied the DVD (created ISO, burnt new DVD). It worked perfectly - but then gradually became intermittent, and finally stopped working.

Popped the original in this weekend, and it works fine. My suspicion is that writable DVD's may 'decay' somehow in the heat, and the DVD Navigation reader is fussy about disks (I've heard others say copies just didn't work)

-Steve

Old 08-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Veteran member

Bob, I am pretty sure its just a map update, no software changes.

thats very interesting Steve, mine also went intermittent after bout 3 years, thought it was just my drive going out as I could hear it spinning slower, and less 'continued' read bursts from it. I can't remember if I tried my original or not, I think I did...or at least I hope I did before I junked the nav drive and sold off my 03 disc.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks so much for the download link, this forum is so helpful. I was able to download the image file and i burned it to two different blank dvds (maxell and tdk) via nero but no luck with either. Each time i try it i get an error reading dvd message on the nav screen, has anyone here successfully burned that linked image file to a dvd? If so, is there any trick i might be missing when trying to get the system to read the dvd? I have an 06 but the previous owner must have used the newer gps disc in another car or sold it, so now my car is currently running the outdated disc with the leaper not the clock.

Last edited by waterloo; 08-30-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I just downloaded from this link yesterday, burned it to a DVD, and loaded it into the nav DVD reader in the trunk. When I turned the car on it found the new DVD, downloaded and installed the new firmware, all without any glitches. I used PowerISO to burn the DVD+R disk.

Mark

Old 08-31-2011, 09:10 AM

I downloaded it and burned it to a Sony disc. It must be a +R disk. It worked perfectly but did not do much for updating the mapping software. But, it did change from the leaper to the clock which we prefer.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Veteran member

^ good to know that the download worked...I was getting worried

Old 09-02-2011, 02:19 PM

Hmmm just tried a different burning software and still no luck, i suspect that my problem is that even though the car is an 06, the current dvd i am running is the really old one, so maybe it set back the firmware and i need an in between disc before i can run the newest dvd. So i guess my question is, has anybody gone from the earliest disc to the newest? and if so, how? Thanks again for all the help.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Veteran member

the leaper IS the old firmware version, clock would be the latest. Its been upgraded successfully, obviously if gestok was able.

When I received an error message, the drive was no longer working. But if you put the previous version back into the car, and it works again, it has to be your disc.

Try setting the speed at the VERY SLOWEST, make sure you're using a +R disc, and click the verify data option on your program.

Remember, I used NERO to burn the image, try to find NERO online to burn another copy. If you can't find it, I'll try to zip the nero installer package, maybe get it out there also for others if that helps the burn process.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:55 AM

I used Nero and also tried imgburn on two different burners and two different computers, i used both maxell and tdk (+r). I'm gonna pick up a sony dvd since that has been confirmed to work. Thanks for the slow burning tip I will definitely try that on my next attempt. The old disc in the car is still working, but it's the 1998 version, that's why i thought i may need the disc that comes before the latest for the firmware to upgrade?

Old 09-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No more leaper?

I have not upgraded to the latest version. I have to tell you though I really like the leaper image. I'm not sure I want a clock to replace it if the map updates are only marginal. Would someone please post a pic of the new "clock" screen?

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

I have heard that although the maps on a burned disc do work, the firmware update was an issue for some people with this disc. If you could 'borrow' someone's original alpine disc to get up to the clock edition, that may overcome your hurdle you are facing. Keep that as your next option. Maybe a member is near you that could meet for the update w/o having to leave it behind.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting the pic, Matt. I think I'll keep my leaper!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I got a successful download of the file.. burned 2 copies from 2 different DVD burners on +R discs..no luck..

I would gladly pay someone to make me a copy from their own and send it to me..

Rramshur (12-23-2012)

Quick Reply: Navigation System Update DVD