XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation System Update DVD

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the file to download from H20's link and burned it successfully. It gave me a "failed to update" message after a few minutes. Was Burnt at 3X. When I burned at 4X, "Disc Error". Burned at 2.4X and nothing happens, no disc error no update failed, no working GPS. Makes me think the file was incomplete or my 2002 VDP can't use the disc. How large is the newly PM linked file? I would PM but need a few more posts to do so. Off to post!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Map00XKR
So I hear a lot of people saying you need a dual layer DVD to make a disc yourself, but does this only apply to the discs that are larger than the 4.7 Gb single layer limit? The 2003 disc for America is only 3.9 Gb or so, so it doesn't need a dual layer disc to fit it all, but is that all the car unit wants to read?
I understand that this needs to be an iso image. I will make the image file and upload it but it will be the weekend before I have time. I'll post to this link when the image file has been uploaded.

Mark

Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mortimerjd
I got the file to download from H20's link and burned it successfully. It gave me a "failed to update" message after a few minutes. Was Burnt at 3X. When I burned at 4X, "Disc Error". Burned at 2.4X and nothing happens, no disc error no update failed, no working GPS. Makes me think the file was incomplete or my 2002 VDP can't use the disc. How large is the newly PM linked file? I would PM but need a few more posts to do so. Off to post!
The file was about 1.7 Gb compressed, but when expanded and burnt to a disc I think it ended up around 3.8 Gb or so. The slowest my burner will go is 4x, tried a Memorex DVD+R disc, but it's just a single layer one and got a disc read error. Since it isn't bigger than a single layer DVD I wouldn't think a dual layer disc would matter because the DVD shouldn't even read the second layer, but who knows. I hear these cars are just really picky about the disc media.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:48 PM

Hi everyone, I have been anxiously watching this thread so I can replace the leaper with the clock on my 2001 XK8. If you could send the link to download to ray@webright.net it sure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rayd
Hi everyone, I have been anxiously watching this thread so I can replace the leaper with the clock on my 2001 XK8. If you could send the link to download to ray@webright.net it sure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The file that I had previously uploaded was not in the correct format to be read by our cars. I will be making a new file in the correct format this weekend and will post to this thread once the file is uploaded. So keep watching this thread,

Mark

Old 12-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

H2OBoy, what head unit are you running and did you fabricate the face plate or get it installed @ an audio shop?

Also would this download work as an update on 04' navigation units?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:54 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the "update" should be good for any of the Alpine system which I believe were used up through 2005. The main question is which disc you already have in your car. I don't remember when all of the various updates and revisions were released, but for example my 2000 came with a disc from 1998, so I don't know if they just used up old stock before putting in new discs or not (assuming there was an update between 98 and 00). An 04 might already have the 03 disc in it, but you'd have to check.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
The file that I had previously uploaded was not in the correct format to be read by our cars. I will be making a new file in the correct format this weekend and will post to this thread once the file is uploaded. So keep watching this thread,

Mark
Any luck or updates on posting the iso version? Thanks!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Amphicar770
Any luck or updates on posting the iso version? Thanks!
I haven't forgotten but just have not had time to do it, what with the holidays and work. I'm off next week and will make and post the iso image then.

Mark

Old 12-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I made the Loop from Alpine - Navteq - Jag

And what I have to say IS DISAPPOINTING...

So not much was happening in the Market,,,

So I decide to call Alpine Tech Support... They said that they do not support ANY TYPE OF UPDATE at ALL... Try NAVTEQ So I did...

NAVTEQ after asking for all my info so they could advise me of Future Updates,,, Said that they do not support ANY TYPE OF UPDATE at ALL... Try JAGUAR,,, So I did and quess WHAT...(no need to keep me on the list then for UPDATES)

They SUPPORT EVERY MODEL,,,, EXCEPT XKR's model year 2000 - 2006... I ask the lovely lady on the other end of the phone if she knew how I could get an update,,, She said that she is speaking on Behalf of Jaguar Corporate and there is nothing available and never will be... Not enough cars to warrant the expense... So I said that Jaguar sells a Vehicle for $90,000 to over a $100,000 and you do not support it??? I told her that Florida experienced a huge housing boom and the new developements are not availble to me making the NAV UNIT WORTHLESS... She said she understands my Frustration,,,

I asked her to ask Mr. Tata to address this for us...LOL

And no I do not need a Nav Unit... But my car has one and I would like it to be usefull... It messes with my OCD

Hope this helps with the questions out there...

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 12-29-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

What happens if you slip the 2007 disc into the Nav unit on a 2003 XKR? Anything? Nothing?

Old 12-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

We could keep calling Jaguar and keep asking them about the updates,,, Few hundred calls week after week might wake them up... Might be cheaper to provide an update THEN to hire another receptionist to handle the increased call volume....

Kinda like Flash Mobbing them...

Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

While the efforts are appreciated, I doubt that Jaguar will ever provide an updated map release for our navis. Reality is that even if maps were 100% up to date, the system is now seriously obsolete. Owners of VW Touaregs, Phaetons, etc. are facing the same issues. Looks like BMW is the only mfg offering updates to their older navi systems.

It would be nice if they put the last version of maps in the public domain. Even better would be a firmware update to allow standard maps from teleatlas or others. I doubt either will happen. Jaguar wants to sell you a new vehicle, not a new disc.

The following users liked this post:
mjlaris (12-31-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

If I am not mistaken I believe Gus or one of the other guys around here already went down this path about a year ago more or less and hit a similar dead end. Personally, I believe that the most basic Garmin, TomTom, or even Nav App on a Smart Phone have capabilities way beyond what was offered by car manufacturers in the early to mid-2000s. So spending a bunch of time and $ to try and update the system that came with the car is a waste compared with just ignoring it and using a $150 (or less) Garmin or the free Nav App with a Smart Phone.

Doug

Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Any update on the upload of the dvd in ISO format?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Just put the 2011-2012 DVD in my 2004 VDP and now my Jaguar Voice is deaf.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
If I am not mistaken I believe Gus or one of the other guys around here already went down this path about a year ago more or less and hit a similar dead end. Personally, I believe that the most basic Garmin, TomTom, or even Nav App on a Smart Phone have capabilities way beyond what was offered by car manufacturers in the early to mid-2000s. So spending a bunch of time and $ to try and update the system that came with the car is a waste compared with just ignoring it and using a $150 (or less) Garmin or the free Nav App with a Smart Phone.

Doug
I agree. The one on my Iphone is better, cheaper, easier to use, and always up to date.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mortimerjd
Any update on the upload of the dvd in ISO format?
I have the DVD but the power supply on my pc died and I waiting on a replacement to arrive. As soon as I get the new power supply I'll make the iso image and upload it.

Mark

Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 PM

Mjlaris, have a chance to fix your pc yet?

Quick Reply: Navigation System Update DVD