Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery, same warnings

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New battery, same warnings

Hi again all, me again!

After taking some advice from some people here I got myself a new battery to replace the old one in my car. I was getting a DSC Warning message coming on when i was cranking the engine.

With the new battery unfortunately still intermittently getting the same problem - also the steering wheel doesn't always go to the right place when on auto mode, it'll move down a little then stop....

The DSC warning light also intermittently comes on while driving, (it's been doing this since before the battery change too) but it always clears and goes away if I pull over and stop then restart the engine.

Any help would be great,
Thanks,
James

Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 AM

Also, something strange happened this morning whilst dropping the other half off to work

The DSC fault came on and the ABS light lit up and then at one point whilst the fault was lit it the car for some reason got stuck in 3rd gear! Took foot off the pedal and it wouldn't change down.

It only decided to change gear once I put it in cruise control and then took it out again. Once I'd pulled over and stopped/started the engine all was well again...

This is getting a bit too odd for comfort...

Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Are you sure it was 3rd gear not 4th? It might have gone into limp home mode. It's possible you are suffering the ABS internal connection problem. There is a lot of info here about that and how to fix it.

If you can find someone to check if there are any ABS codes that would help. Unfortunately, that often means a trip to a dealer, but an indy might be in your area. Others on the forum should be able to help.
RJ____________
97 XK8 86K mi

Old 10-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Worth checking the battery connections - clean where the ground strap connects to the body and also check after cranking that the +ve battery terminal isn't getting hot.
The crimp can go bad.
If that doesn't work check and clean your abs sensors
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-light-80921/
and here's the Rev Sam's video

Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 AM

It could have been 3rd gear - What is limp home mode and what can cause it?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Hello, I had the same problem. abs light and no ASC it came on when the voltage was at 11.6 or less.

I suggest getting yourself a voltage gauge monitor ( mine same from amazon for 15 bucks) click here for link to gauge.(
Equus 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor : Amazon.com : Automotive Equus 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor : Amazon.com : Automotive
)it plugs into the cigar lighter and you can see your voltage from there.

then go with voltage meter and check the battery with car running then check the front fuse boxes one on each side the one on the right or passengers side is the ECM among other thing you will see a connector bolted to the box that has a rubber cap over it (both sides) check you voltage from the front and compare to battery. One of several things .

The voltage all over should be at least 13.5 or huger 4.2 to 14.5 is best if less The alternatator going bad, or high resistance (heat means high resistance) which means lower voltage. Check mechanic check alternaot voltage car needs to be in air for that.
If regulator seems good then start checking all ground points for corrosion and all power points for corrosion than check for hot wires especially the one in the back junction behind spare tire cafefull though that is highly charged and is the main cable from front to back.

Remember corrosion is not always easy to see sometimes it is just black and inside the connector. Also check main ground from engine to body that is under engine ares and is a ribbon style thick wire same as you can see from the battery ground wire in trunk.
There are many, many ground points and power distribution areas.

My 2001 always garaged and in Arizona (hot and dry weather no salt)had to replace 6 connects and three cable to get my voltage up, I now have it at 14.3 at cold start up and after about 20 minutes of warm up it drops to about 13.6 with full load A/C , radio and lights on, but the clincher is when the radiator fans come on that drops to 12.5 but as long as voltage does not drop below 12.0 or 11.8 the warning lights do not come on.

Hope this helps, it was a total pain for me as I am not a mechanic or expert except for now the charging system and electric distribution system to Jaguar XKR's.

One more thing to check battery at full charge turn the key on but not so the lights or radio come on and then close the doors (you will notice the voltage drop with doors open) you should get a minimum of 12.3 volts from battery if below then I would say you charging system or battery is a problem.

If you need more or better explanation you are welcome to PM me and ask question. Good luck . The problem could be just one of these examples or several of them.
Good Luck, Mitchell

Best regards and

Happy Motoring...

Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 PM

This is useful, I have an x type with repeated flat battery. Steve in France been giving some advice too. Think I have some work ahead!