XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car bought at auction, where do I start? XKR 1998

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car bought at auction, where do I start? XKR 1998

I recently purchased a 1998 XKR st auction service book is full up and the car looks as though it has been well kept.

Aside from a service what items should I be checking to make sure she keeps running well?

Two issue I have noticed is the AC blows out hot and the handbreak light stays in sometimes.

Will get the AC gassed and check the switch on the handbreak this weekend.

Any and all advice welcome.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

most important is that you check to see if the timing chain tensioners were upgraded, then the engine hoses which is a really involved job especially on an R.

The following users liked this post:
Blackperks (07-26-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Blackperks, You didn't say where you are located. There may be a member near you to talk things over and maybe have a look.
They all have some things that are specific to that model, but the timing and hoses are common to all.

Wayne

Blackperks (07-26-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 06:31 AM

I'm in the West London area.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts
Default My advice is to change EVERYTHING!!!

Ealing, maybe? Some rather fine cars in that area (and fine houses, etc!)

You don't say how many miles it has done. Check the front suspension (bushes wear regularly) and make sure it has had transmission oil change - see this current thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fluid-186188/. Also consider changing the plugs if they have many miles on them, or if it is not recorded anywhere.

Actually, at the end of the day, there's no real answer, I think, unless you plan to change absolutely everything! Be a bit expensive, though, and almost all of what you do would be entirely unnecessary, of course.

The handbrake light might simply be because it is not completely down - a known feature of the car. If the light stays on, try releasing the brake once more.

As you suggest, the aircon could be something as simple as needing re-gassing, or something nastier, such as the condenser - hope it is the former! Let us know.

Last edited by Diddion; 07-24-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Blackperks (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 12:15 PM

Hillingdon, nothing so posh as Ealing.

The car has done 75000 so very good for the age looks like the pipes are all in good condition the belt at the front is looking a little tired though.

Where is a good place to get parts?

Old 07-26-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Blackperks

Where is a good place to get parts?
I take it you are referring to used parts

Eurojag, based in the North, have a good range of used parts at reasonable prices, which they guarantee; always worth a phone call. I have also sourced the occasional item via ebay - it is surprising what comes up. If what you are seeking isn't found, there are frequently individuals around who are breaking a car. Rather than advertise individual components they offer something cheap, such as a wheel nut, and ask you to contact them - i have found a few items this way but, of course, your chance of success will, to some extent, depend upon how long the car has been having its components dismantled.

I have also tried on perhaps three or four times submitting my details to online companies which farm your request to a few hundred breakers. Could work, in theory, but I have never received a single response.

For new parts (and some more firms which might also have used spares) try a Google search using ' Jaguar spares uk'

Finally, of course, is the wonderful Jaguar Spares Day held a couple of times a year at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire. Worth it for the sight of a parking field full of Jaguars alone, never mind the massive warehouse full of individual stalls full of loads of Jaguar 'stuff,' from complete, new, E-type bodyshells to special nuts and bolts. The next one is in October; a google search should find it easily.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

If you're having the A/C regassed, ask for some UV dye to be added (it may be standard practice anyway). Useful for checking for leaks.
The MB box in the earlier 'Rs is much more resilient than the ZF unit in the 8, but a fluid change is still good PM.

Originally Posted by Diddion
Finally, of course, is the wonderful Jaguar Spares Day held a couple of times a year at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire.
Now you tell us! My daughter has just completed her degree at Moreton Morrell. Made several road trips up there...

Old 07-26-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh

Now you tell us! My daughter has just completed her degree at Moreton Morrell. Made several road trips up there...
She must have very fond memories of the place. As a good father, I'm sure you would be prepared, at great personal sacrifice, to offer her a revisit to her old stamping ground. For nostalgia's sake - she'll love you even more for it! The Midlands is particularly attractive, oh, around early October. And March.

michaelh (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 12:36 AM

Thanks, all.