XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New front and rear suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New front and rear suspension?

Do anyone know of a upgraded bigger sway bar for the xk8? I have another project to complete in the next coming weeks after my leather interior is completed hopefully by the end of this month. Bigger upgraded sway bars? and new ball joints bushings shocks springs and any other suspension work that you guys know of to complete to make this cat handle like new or even better than new. I am thinking bilsteins for the shocks and oh would like to lower the rear end a bit looks kinda jacked up like a hot rod to me. Any ideas from you guru's on what to rep[lace or not to replace on the suspension front and back? Thanks as always

Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

David,

Our XK's already come from the factory with fairly strong suspension components. I have seen many spring options out there. If you're looking to firm things up, you may consider going with some polyurethane suspension bushes. They will give your car a much stiffer ride than the stock rubber bushes and should last substantially longer. I am going to rebush my suspension soon, and I have been comparing the conventional rubber versus poly bushes. There is a considerable cost difference, for sure. Take a look at the Powerflex website, they may have some products that will suit what you're trying to acheive (www.powerflexusa.com).

Caution! I have seen some comments previously on the forum, that poly bushes may make our cars ride too harshly for many. You could end up with a car that rides like a lumber wagon! Remember, our cars were bred for performance and luxury!

Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your mods!

Jon

Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

I did a full poly bush setup on the front of mine and couldn't be happier. The ride is firmer for sure, but not what I would call harsh. Looking to do the rear at some point as well.

I have not done lowering springs though, so this might help with the ride.

It probably depends more on perspective than anything else. My previous car was a hot hatch, so: stiff suspension, no profile tires, and not much weight. Now that was a lumber wagon, and it wouldn't be possible to make a big, heavy Jag ride like that.

The following users liked this post:
Growl-R (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
I did a full poly bush setup on the front of mine and couldn't be happier. The ride is firmer for sure, but not what I would call harsh. Looking to do the rear at some point as well.

I have not done lowering springs though, so this might help with the ride.

It probably depends more on perspective than anything else. My previous car was a hot hatch, so: stiff suspension, no profile tires, and not much weight. Now that was a lumber wagon, and it wouldn't be possible to make a big, heavy Jag ride like that.

Charlie,

I have been leaning towards using the poly bushes on my car. Glad to hear the ride is firm, but not like a lumber wagon. I think I may do a full front suspension poly re-bush, as well.

Do you know of any supplier offering a polyurethane top shock mount on the XK front suspension? Mine are in good shape, but with all of the deterioration problems with age, that's one component that really makes sense to be constructed with polyurethane.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Jon

Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

The shock mounts are the one thing I replaced with stock parts, so I don't have any experience.

I think that rebuild kits exist, but I can't vouch for any manufacturer. There was one forum member who made their own bushing material, so it all comes down to how creative you want to be.

Growl-R (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Our jag techs that frequent the boards, also recommend only the OEM upper mounts for various quality reasons, where the other suspension bushings they say 'go poly or OEM rubber, your choice'

Growl-R (04-18-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Question Swyay bars?

I have a 2006 xk8 convertible. Has anyone upgraded the sway bars to lessen the body roll

Buddy

Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

A quick way to tighten up the 'roll' would be to change those softer OEM sway bar bushings to the poly type. Also, you could replace your sway bar end links, that'll help some too. You might also look into changing the sway bar to the xkr's setup, you'll need at least the bar and the bushings w/ clamp that goes on the subframe. Hopefully the clamp uses the same subframe mounting points. I haven't read anyone doing that, however, on the forums.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Poly Bushings

Originally Posted by Growl-R
David,

Our XK's already come from the factory with fairly strong suspension components. I have seen many spring options out there. If you're looking to firm things up, you may consider going with some polyurethane suspension bushes. They will give your car a much stiffer ride than the stock rubber bushes and should last substantially longer. I am going to rebush my suspension soon, and I have been comparing the conventional rubber versus poly bushes. There is a considerable cost difference, for sure. Take a look at the Powerflex website, they may have some products that will suit what you're trying to acheive (www.powerflexusa.com).

Caution! I have seen some comments previously on the forum, that poly bushes may make our cars ride too harshly for many. You could end up with a car that rides like a lumber wagon! Remember, our cars were bred for performance and luxury!

Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your mods!

Jon
I went full Poly and lowering springs on my XKR, it is a bit more harsh but I enjoy it and it corners much tighter now. For some reason, initially, the front sway bar bushings were failing but think it was installer error and replacements are working fine now.

Growl-R (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks guys, I will look into it.
PS , my cat out ran a BMW 335 today.

Buddy