XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New front springs = need alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default New front springs = need alignment?

Hi guys,

Spent this weekend installing new front springs. Ride height up 1 1/2 inches. Wow makes real difference in the look from the side. I like it.

Haven't had a chance to put her through the paces with hard conering yet, will post findings when i can.

You know i dont know enough about alignments to call this so let me ask. Should I asume the springs plus ride height change means I need a new alignment? If so I'll get that done before reaching final verdict on "improvements.

I bet it does but i can only visualize suspension changes that impact castor after battling those dam spacers on the upper control arm.

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Short answer is yes. With that dramatic of a change in height, you should have it checked and adjusted.

That being said, you probably made it better by improving the camber. Mine went up almost 1 3/4" and I am anticipating normal tire wear again.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (01-06-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Jag#4 thanks mate.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

As promised, New Front Springs Review:

Do you need to align after spring change?

Yes, I sure did. I had the alignment done this morning. Mike (Jag4) was right, it sure did need it.

The thrust angle was way off, Toe in needed adjustment. To my surprise Castor was just barely "in the red" on the passenger side. Had a long discussion with Tech about it, he was concerned that changing this might impact Camber in a bad way. It was just a smidge over the specs (castor) but he left it up to me. I asked him to try to fix it.

Unfortunately, all the shims are already in the front. Bringing the castor closer to spec required moving shim from back to front on this wheel. They are all aready up front so there was nothing that we could do today.

Now, how do the new front springs work:

1) Ride Height - Big improvment. Lifted her up 1 1/2 inches. Ride height is now dead on spec. This has a much much bigger, positive, effect on how she looks than I'd ever expect. Wouldn't have thought an inch or so was even noticable, it sure is though.

Sidebar: I have to admit something. Despite logic I have to "fight" a subconcious feeling that higher = less control. In an extreme example to explain what I mean, imagine riding a bycycle, then raise the seat 1 foot. You will feel less control. That's an extreme example but like I said you get a subconcious "feeling" about that.

2) Hard Cornering - Much less body roll. Before the spring change I felt the body bottom out on hardest 90 degree type turns. Now not at all.

3) Highway speed lane changes - No huge improvement, but it is as it should be, no roll, precise movements.

4) Bumps in the road - No discernable difference, though all is OK here.

5) Body Sway - Prior to the front spring change I felt a bit of sway or loseness overall. I blamed it on rear shocks. I was wrong this went away with the new springs.

In summary the biggest improvement is in the ride height, which makes her look better and drastically reduces the chance of scraping the front on parking curbs or high angle drvieways.

The handling is improved, but truth is it is not a night and day difference. Ironcially I got more of an improvement by changing my anti sway bar bushings and links than changing the springs.

Wish it was more of an earth shattering improvement (especially after all that time compressing the springs and battling the upper A arm bolts ) but I hope this helps you plan your upgrades down the road.

In the end I'm glad I did it, for reference $277 for pair of new convertible front springs that came with new plastic mounts for the bottom of the spring, and one new black plastic spacer that goes between that plastic mount and the round metal shelf that sits on the shock absorber and supports the bottom of the spring assembly. These would be good if you break your's during assembly otherwise not really worth the effort of replacing the factory plastic supports.

Last edited by Johnken; 01-06-2016 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
cjd777 (01-06-2016), Jag#4 (01-07-2016)