XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New headliner installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New headliner installation

Hey guys I bought this XKR and the previous owner ripped out the headliner for some reason. I'm going to try to put up a new fabric myself. What type of fabric is the headliner even made out of? There was a leather cutout in the trunk but that looks like someone tried to install a leather headliner. Idk. Perhaps that was the right one. I've never seen what the liner actually is made out of.

Any ideas?

Also, the sunvisor and rear dome light are missing. Wheres the best place to search for some used parts for these cars?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Coupes (I assume it's a coupe) use a standard headliner material with a foam backing. You can buy this at an upholstery shop or even at a fabric store. I think XK8/Rs only used two colors, tan and grey. Just match against the A-pillar material. If they are loose, now is a good time to recover them as well.

I have a 'vert, but from doing other cars, there should be a hardboard or plastic insert that the headliner is glued to and then reinstalled.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

+1 on Jag#4. I have replaced the headliner in my truck, and on my 'vert above the visors and A pillar. It is attached to a board, and is not that difficult to replace. An extra pair of hands helps as well.

I have bought a light gray roofliner at my local fabric store, and it is virtually the exact same as the rest of the 'vert's color. The cost is about $15/yard, and the glue I got for about $6 or $8 a can.

Ebay has always been a good source of parts for my cars and bikes, but sometimes a Google search will lead you to stores that are cheaper than Ebay.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Did this on my 98 coupe. Getting it out is a lot of fun, I suggest you remove the passenger seat, even then it requires a little judicial squeezing. I believe at the factory they install it before the installing the windshield. Be careful it's really quite fragile.
Good Luck,
White Bear

Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts
Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 AM

Thanks a bunch guys. It looks like the previous owner tried making it leather and it didnt work out so good for him, lol.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

You can reuse the board but you will be best to sand off the old foam and start fresh. The foam breaks down with age and gluing the new fabric to the old foam is a sure way to have it sagging on your head in a month or two.

Leather might be a bit much but I've seen some done with Alcantera that looked nice. Really it is a matter of preference, so do what you like and make the car yours.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Alcantara, which is just a fancy word for inexpensive, imitation suede, looks very good, is very serviceable (you can wash it with soap and water), pliable, and easy to glue down. You can find it in any of about 75 colors in the textile district of any metropolitan city for under $10.00 per running yard (60" width). I have used 1000's of yards of it over the years for many customer projects including upholstery, wall covering (makes an absolutely stunning and silent wallpaper), and the like. It certainly is an upgrade from the cheap acrylic velour that is standard, and that can be found in any economy car. While you're at it, recover the A-pillar panels as well, and then you'll have a perfectly matched, very upgraded set. You won't spend more than $30. in materials. If you're going into these fabric or upholstery supply places, the most common trade name from the mill is "Passion Suede," although there are others. And there really are at least 75 colors available. In Los Angeles, I have paid anywhere from $5-10/yard depending on quantity and vendor. It is a terrific product and every bit as good as "Alcantara" or Ultrasuede (actually, I like working with Passion suede better because it is not as rubbery feeling and does not pill as the others do), the two products that cost as much as ten times this price. Good luck with your project but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Last edited by tberg; 04-28-2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
ccfulton (06-15-2013), The Coupe (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 02:20 PM

I will definitely check that out, thanks

Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

If you don't find it or if it is more than $15.00/yd, PM me with your info and I will pick it up for you and ship it to you. I use it all the time, and I'm sure I'll be downtown again in the next week.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM

I found a black passion suede at Joann's for $12.99/yard. I bought 2.5 just to be sure.

It came out GREAT. Way better than I expected. The suede is such a better material. It looks elegant and luxurious. Thankfully I had a buddy stop by that has done headliners before. Total cost with his $45 labor fee and adhesive - $102.

What an improvement!

Thanks again for that suggestions guys

Old 04-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Any chance of some pictures to see the results?

Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 AM

Not yet. Ill have to get my better camera cause its so dark in there now.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Two weeks ago within a span of three days my coupe's head liner went from OK to hanging in my face! The a-pillars have looked kinda loose since I bought my '03 two years ago.

I just did my headliner and A-pillars a week ago. Fabric, glue and an extra clip for the overhead console that broke when removed was $38.

I took one of the visors into a huge/old auto upholstery warehouse in Oklahoma City - I fairly quickly found a match to the light grey with a tinge of beige material. I went with a just slightly thicker foam backing at the advice from a friend that used to do upholstery work - he said it would look better and hide any imperfections that might result from my inexperience. I was lucky, I think. It looks brand new with no imperfections and it was not too difficult. Not including the trip to the warehouse, it took about 2.5 hours at the most.

One tip, my car has the Recaro seats and they dont lean back far enough to get the fiberglass headliner backer out of the car. The passenger seat HAD to be removed - and DAMN that's a heavy seat - it took two people to take it out.

Over all, easy fix. I got the windows lightly tinted while I was at it... Feels like a new car - even if the glue stink is pretty bad!

Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Has anyone changed the color of their headliner and A-pillars, and found a good way to also do the sun visors to match?

Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

vOlten,
Glad you found the suede and that everything worked out well, an easy and rewarding upgrade.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

Tberg,
How does the Passion Suede wear as a seating surface?

My seats are due for a refresh and this thread got me thinking about doing the centers in black passion suede. The interior is cashmere (SDZ) and I think the black with tan would look good and be a little different.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

ccfulton,
I have personally had at least a 100 sofas upholstered for customers, as well as countless chairs, pillows etc. over the years. If you go into any furniture store you will see many pieces upholstered in what they will call microfibre suede which is the same thing. It is an excellent product, machine washable and dryable with a very decent lifespan. Make sure when and if you purchase the suede that it is either Passion Suede or a branded version of the same. There are many imitation suedes of poor quality.

The following users liked this post:
ccfulton (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

ccfulton,
I should add that if you want, I can send you a sample of Passion Suede so that you have an idea of what to look for. I will tell you that in my experience in the home decorating industry for more than 40 years, I think Passion Suede is a more versatile product than Ultrasuede which costs at least ten times as much. Ultrasuede, while a fine product, has a nasty tendency to start pilling as it wears which should not happen as much with Passion Suede. There are versions of Passion Suede that have a knit back bonded to it to further stabilize it, but having used the unbacked product hundreds of times, I don't think it's necessary.

The following users liked this post:
ccfulton (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the offer, and appreciate the tip for which brand to look for.

I ordered a couple of yards from Fabric Empire in LA, enough to do the package tray and door inserts if I like the color scheme.

For the seats themselves, I was thinking to call tops online and see if they would be willing to make a set with the Passion Suede seat inserts. Everyone speaks highly of their products and I know at least one other forum member got a set with differnt color leather inserts, so they must be willing to entertain ideas.

Quick Reply: New headliner installation