Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member In Tenn Needs Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Member In Tenn Needs Advice

Hello from Tennessee,
Advice requested for a, soon to be, XK8 owner.
With a serious history involving classic english cars, it was probably unavoidable that I would find myself seduced by a Jaguar. Most of the previous cars were Lotus, TR and a XKE many years ago. Recently completed a 3 years resto of a "72 Lotus Elan +2. a great show and driveing car.
Tomorrow a British car buddy and I will be prospecting for a XK8 as a daily driver for myself. The first one is a 2003 XK8 standard, one lady owner, 64k miles clear history, full dealer maintinace records ( I am told). This one is BRG, as required by my wife. Later a trip to Carmax and a handful of 2006-2008 XK8's
This 2003 may be a bit old for my preference but;
1. were the troublesome timing chain tensiors sorted out by 2003?
2. what about the Nicasil cylinder linings
3. other major issues as these get older?
thx for the guidance
Phil pwtrusty@yahoo.com

Old 02-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

1 yes sir
2 no longer used
3 we've got a great link in our FAQ thread, lots to read up on. Enjoy!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 PM

Thanks for responding, H20Boy has my vote for the most prompt moderator. I belong to three other Marque groups and the Jag Forum is by far the best organized. Wish me luck on adding a 03 XJ8 to the stable tomorrow...will be looking for a Jag club in middle Tenn. I see several XKE's at our Nashville British car club drives and annual show but few comtempoaray ones.
Phil in Nashville

Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT
Wish me luck on adding a 03 XJ8 to the stable tomorrowPhil in Nashville

Best of luck Phil.

I too am a Lotus nut. Used to own a '73 Europa John Player Special. Friends of mine bought an Elan +2 a few months ago. It is a long way from perfect, but it is a good driver. They will make it better.

I bought my '06 XK8 a couple of months ago. I love it. I have had lots of cool cars. Some British. This one is different than anything I have owned. It is magnificent. I will deal with the quirks. In the scheme of things, the quirks are nothing compared to Lotus.

I believe long term ownership of these things is an adventure. My adventure is just starting.

Jack

Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

PhilT: Checkout What should I look when buying an XK8? posting dated 2/1/11 for a long checklist for a prospective XK8 owner. These cars are so easy to find on Autotrader.com and EBay Motors, however there's no substitute for a good set of eyes. $200 to a mechanic to fully checkout a car (including scanning problem codes) is money well spent. A Carfax (or comparable) report is also a very good tool on Jaguars.

NashvilleBritishCarClub.org is where you can find your local car club. There are also British car clubs 2 hrs. away in Huntsville and Florence, AL with active memberships and yearly car shows--Goggle'em. All clubs meet monthly, and often have drive arounds in good weather on the weekends.

A Lotus Elan is a teriffic sports car to restore. I had a college roommate from Columbia with a 197 mph Lotus Europa Twin Cam.

Please let me know if you find a good independent Jag mechanic in Middle Tennessee. I'm looking for one that has the Autoenginuity scanner with the optional Jag software.

Good luck with your search.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:19 AM

Hello Bamaman,
Thanks for the response. I live in Franklin, anytime you want to met for coffee, I will bring the Lotus. The Elan is the most recent in a string of Europas and a Baby Elan. The best Jag rench I know is JD. Dannon in Nashville. His link is below.
1jd@comcast.net
Located on Murefeesboro rd a few blocks form the Lane Auto Museum. Long time shop with lots of experience in early Brits.
Phil
pwtrusty@yahoo.com

Old 02-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome aboard. The 2003 should be fine. I have a 2005, and I am quite happy with it.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the vote of confidence Phil If you find the 03 appealing on the exterior, I also recommend a jag dealer eval for a couple c-notes, they know exactly what to look for on that model year. Ive enjoyed working on my car, when I can...as a matter of fact I'm planning shocks and lower control arms on the front, among a few other odds and end-links. I just hope I'm not biting off more than I can proverbially can chew.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:24 AM

Hello All,
Thanks for the support. The 03 XJ8 was a one lady owner, 64 miles, very nice condtion. Fresh tires and brakes, clear history and a great buy. We ( wife a and I ) decided we would rather spend more for a more current model. This will be be my "road car" for long trips anmd the prospect of taking an eight YO Jag on a two week cross country was a bit intemidating. Carmax has several 07 and 08 that may fill the bill..once it stops sleeting here in the sunny south. Will keep you posted.
Phil
72 Lotus Elan +2 (show car)
05 Mazaspeed Miata
Lotus Europa
07 Kia Amanti
07 Kia Sportage

Old 02-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Veteran member

Good call on the 07, love that look. The 08 has a new 'front fascia' and lost the leaper, I personally like the 07 a little better from aesthetics. Check out the air shocks good though, look for uneven corner height and long compressor runs when starting. Cold weather is the best time to test that system though, if its weak, it'll show in the cold.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Great info here. If any of you are in the very NW corner of AL, look me up.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Received 33 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkCat
Best of luck Phil.

I too am a Lotus nut. Used to own a '73 Europa John Player Special. Friends of mine bought an Elan +2 a few months ago. It is a long way from perfect, but it is a good driver. They will make it better.

I bought my '06 XK8 a couple of months ago. I love it. I have had lots of cool cars. Some British. This one is different than anything I have owned. It is magnificent. I will deal with the quirks. In the scheme of things, the quirks are nothing compared to Lotus.

I believe long term ownership of these things is an adventure. My adventure is just starting.

Jack
Hi Jack,

I too owned a '73 Europa John Player Special. They were the all black with gold trim Lotus. I was the last to own it; was rear ended by a car going 60mph+ when I was stopped at a stop light. Good car. It saved my life, but back will never be the same. You are right about Lotus quirks. Most were electrical in my case....

I just bought a beautiful Roman Bronze / Oatmeal interior, 2001 XK8 Converible from a Florida couple. I live in Colorado, so it is sleeping for the Winter along with my '10 Z06 Corvette. I hope to find a Jaguar Club here in Colorado this summer for my wife and I.

PhilT.

I just drove my '01 XK8 from Florida to Colorado, 2600 miles. These Jags are Outstanding. It was fun to drive. If you find the right Jaguar they are dependable and a 2 weeks road trip would be great.

Ron