XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner here! Just saying hello & looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New owner here! Just saying hello & looking for advice

Hello to all Jag owners & Lovers out there!! I am glad there is a place like these forums to discuss such beautiful cars!
I (as of last night) have become a new Jaguar owner. Specifically the new owner of a “2003 XKR Black on Black 20” BBS wheels” owner. I absolutely love this car and the way it looks! This is my first real nice car.
Previously I have owned an old 1978 BMW 633, 1992,1994,1997 Ford F-Series pickups, 1984 Mercedes 240d, and just recently a 1992 Buick Roadmaster. My wife & I also share (she drives) a 2003 Mercedes ml500. None of those cars are even close to this 2003 XKR. As you can probably tell from my User name that I am head over heels for this car.
Enough about my history & “feelings” and a little more about the car.
It has 82000 miles, 3 months remaining on extended warranty, service records since 2008, owned by a dentist / Jaguar enthusiasts who upgraded to a new XJR. The car spent its first 4 years in SoCal and then was imported into to Canada. Here, at least in my area of Canada the XKR’s are a rarity! Which makes my appeal to them even greater. Price I paid was $18000.00cnd
My budget was much larger then 18k, however because I live far north with traitorous Canadian winters I wanted to also acquire a cable off road or winter vehicle. I considered the BMW M6 and was impressed by its power and coolness, but it was the price tag & the possible winter driving that swayed my choice.
All the maintenance was done at a really good local indie shop. Some of the big ticket Items replaced or repaired were: Supercharger $3785.00 - Spark Plugs, #1 Ignition coil & misc, $797.00 - Driver Door handle assembly, throttle housing cleaned, & misc $1026.00 - Brake work $463.00 - Rear subframe mounts replaced, wheel stud & nut work + misc $1329.00 – Trans Additive (service bulletin), new thermostat & battery - $689.00 – Idler pulley x 2, supercharger bracket, tensionoer & drive belt, $1087.00
Also there are a few other small work orders.
From what I have read about these cars and there owners is that it really pays to be a “hands on” type of owner, meaning that you could save boatloads of money if you fix repairs yourself. That is great for me because I loved working on all of my previous cars and saving some cash was also a great feeling.
I love the care to death, though have noticed a few small things that could use some repair, & as well some noises that don’t seem familiar. I knew the headrests were shot as I can hear the motor going but no movement (seems to be a common problem among the XK8 & R’s) I saw the video tutorial on how to fix the problem and will attempt soon.
As of recent I have noticed a clunking noise coming from the driver rear area. I saw that the spare tire was not bolted down, but once that was fixed the noise was still evident. Not sure what to diagnose?
Also after driving the car aggressive I can hear a chatter noise (seems as though it is coming from underneath) when I touch the gas slightly then it goes away. Again not sure what to diagnose?
Next, I have experienced the infamous tranny clap when changing from either 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd (I can’t remember) at above the 4500 rpm range. I figure to completely flush / change the tranny oil with current specifications would be a good place to start.

Any advice as to where to start on fixing some of these problems would be absolutely awesome!!
I officially get now why people are so protective of their cars, before I always said it’s just a car, but now I have strict rules like no eating, not parking on tight spots, carefully parallel parking, pulling into the driveway slow to avoid curb rash, and many of the other little things a car lover inflicts on themselves & there passengers.
As soon as I can I will add some pictures.
Thanks for any advice!
-Sean

Old 05-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome aboard!

Nice to have you with us. I recently had a 2002 XKR that I loved. (I'm betting rour rear clunk is a shock bushing.)

Without this forum, I wouldn't own a Jag. With it you have a great bunch of people whose collective knowledge is very impressive. We even have professionals help out here.

This is my second and the cars seem strong with fussy electronics. You'll require a code reader (crappy tire $99) and your metric tools.
Enjoy.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Welcome on board. I agree with the above comment - this forum is a godsend and I wouldn't have dared buy a Jaguar in France (very few dealerships here) without it.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the Reply's

It is surprising to see so many heads turning to take a second look at it. I am not one to gloat, I just so use to always turning my head at other cars & now to see them turn on me is weird!
Anyways as promised here are some photos!

Name:  _MG_3997.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  123.2 KB
Name:  _MG_3998.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  82.9 KB
Name:  _MG_3999.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  82.6 KB

She really is a thing of beauty!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome, as the others have said this forum is awesome and everyone is so ready to help out. Where in Canada, I'm in New Brunswick. Your car looks awesome.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Welcome to the Forum!

Glad to have you with us.

You'll find that the Jaguar is an easy car to work on for the most part, most parts are not that expensive if you shop around a bit (the forum sponsors are great for that) and you can learn a lot of DIY skills if you want to.

Search around the fourm for instructions, pictures and even videos of the most common diagnosis and repair activities.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Welcome LAFS. Get used to the looks of envy. Canada is a big place...where are you?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

My car had a rear "Clunk". In my case, it was a Left side (CATS) Shock internal noise. However, the Lower Shock Bushing is a also common problem, especially on a higher mileage car.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:19 PM

I am in Edmonton. (city of champions) ahahaha

Old 05-23-2011, 05:24 PM

I just got in from being outside, and i have to admit everythinme I look at it I am just smitten, like a kid in a candy shop, I cant help but laugh with excitment! I am sure many can agree but pictures just don't do this car justice. It really looks so much nicer in person,

Anyways, thanks again for the advice, clearly I am wrapped around her finger, almost like falling in love????

Old 05-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

. . . its just a car.

Well, maybe not. I live in a county of about 25k folks and I think everyone knows me now.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard Sean.......there are some great guys here specifically in the XK section and all willing to give their expertise freely at any time, so you're in good hands.

Have the tensioners been done?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

welcome aboard Sean.......there are some great guys here specifically in the XK section and all willing to give their expertise freely at any time, so you're in good hands.

Have the tensioners been done?
No worries on the tensioners..the metal ones were in by 2003 on the 4.2 L

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (05-24-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by loveatfirstsight
I just got in from being outside, and i have to admit everythinme I look at it I am just smitten, like a kid in a candy shop, I cant help but laugh with excitment! I am sure many can agree but pictures just don't do this car justice. It really looks so much nicer in person.
The XK8-XKRs Are high on the list of "Cars that you can't walk away from without looking back".

Especially the COUPES!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Congrats, happy safe driving
I liked your intro as well
I am sure you will make good friends at these fellow forum members

Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the forum! I own the same car in convertible form. Yours looks superb!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Sean! Beautiful car. I just got an '03 XK8 convertible last month and I daresay I can't stop looking at it - I tell people the only reason I went to the local new car show every year was to sit in and ogle the latest XK's! Mine has 89K on it and was very well maintained by the two previous owners. Learning JAG is sometimes a bit overwhelming but everyone on the forum has been extremely helpful. If I were you, I would check if you have your tow-eye in your spare tire and jack kit... you won't want to have the car towed without it, I'm told (mine was missing and I just ordered one for US$36 from JagBits.com). Also, make sure your battery is up to snuff - seems very important to have flawless electrical supply on this rolling bunch of computers. That's all for now... enjoy your Cat!

Old 05-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome to the best place you will love to hate.

Even though its just a car as I say, enjoy the ride. I for one thought of selling my coupe but have yet to do it. I have come to the decision that I might want to be the old guy down the block with a Cherry red jag in the garage.

Good choice on the coupe.

There is never a dull moment on this forum and we all are hear to give advice. Some better than others, I'm one of the others. But still learning.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Welcome Sean
You'll feel he same about the cat years from now, "Happy Motoring and many smiles"

Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 PM

I just experinced my first Preformance Restriction warning. I am going to clean the TB, and the MAF. Thanks to the right up from Gus??
I would like to be able to pull some, if any codes but not sure what is a good code detctor to buy??

Does anyone have any good (cheap) suggestions??
Thanks, and if means that the car could run better & smotther then it already does, then I cannot wait!

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: New owner here! Just saying hello & looking for advice