Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new place to store the convertible boot cover? Input needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default A new place to store the convertible boot cover? Input needed

Hey vert owners, I was wondering if others may have similar thoughts in regards to the storage of the boot cover. We have a cover (ok, well most of you do) and it consists of a vinyl case that you just stick it in, and keep in the boot right? I keep mine in a homemade case, but I don't like to keep it in the boot. When I add groceries, packages, golf clubs, etc...I always end up pulling it out and then replacing it atop whatever I am putting inside. I hate putting anything on top it so it doesn't end up creasing....as you have found out most certainly, that those 'wings' are best kept tucked inside one another, and we don't want the seams across the cover when its installed right? So I like to keep it loose, and nothing on top of it.

Well, I have now resorted to just keeping the boot cover in its case, in the garage instead. I Kept moving the darn thing around way too much. Then, when I wanted to put the top down spontaneously, I could not cover it up...and I'm trying to eliminate the number of times I clean the dirt and dust from the headliner fabric.

Now, this may not be an issue for some of you who keep the boot cover in the mesh net, installed forward of the boot (where my amplifiers are). Obviously, my net is now on the boot latch side, and there just isn't a good place to put the boot cover...or is there? I looked up...

What if I could do something up there? The cover isn't that long and I am now considering using the plastic rivet holes shown in the pic (and under the umbrella straps) to secure a custom, semi-rigid, boot case. It would have some mesh on the sides to allow it to open up, yet have some strong elastic to keep it closed when the case is empty. The material would need to be something like vinyl, and I may need one or two vertical reinforcement over that length, to keep it from sagging when empty....I've sketched up some plans, but not sure which way to go. I want the least amount of material up there, but still retain, and hold the boot cover (and protect it from anything in the boot, like a pitcher of ice tea...yes i do travel w/ tea on family dinner invites.

Any advice or interest? If I can come up with one that is strong and aesthetically pleasing, would anyone want to buy one? I may have to put my mom and her sewing machine to work Don't worry, she needs the money. What would something like this be worth to you, if the quality is there?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

First a question: Are those umbrella straps aftermarket or just something later cars got?

I hardly ever use my trunk so the few times I do, moving the top hasn't been much of an issue. I'd have to see the finished product to make a decision. It should look good, be easy to get the cover in (bonus if it is easier than the nylon bag) and then I would see from there.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Veteran member

Umbrella straps are a jaguar accessory, $13 at Welsh. I'll update when my cover prototype is finished.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:05 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

I like the idea Matt.

I'm probably in the same category as K. Westra though. I don't often need/use the trunk, but when I do, it's a hassle. I've come to store the cover completely out of the car, which works for me and the way I use the XK8.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I like this idea too. I`ve had the same thoughts about the cover. Sometimes I lay it on the back seat. That back seat is not large enough for anything bigger than a 12 year old (bottle of Scotch) anyway!

Old 12-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I probably don't have much legitimacy in being on this forum anymore since I sold my Jag last weekend, but..... as usual, I generally can't help myself from butting in.

Matt, it seems like you are making it so complicated. Could you not put in two parallel bungee cords (or some fancy straps) to hold the cover onto the boot lid? I'm sure you could make it look nice by installing grommets so the trunk fabric wouldn't tear. And it would be easy to get the cover in and out.

Myself, I'm keeping an eye out for a 2007 or 2008 that eliminates that problem altogether.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Dude... get a black umbrella. Did you ever see John Steed with a blue umbrella?

Or if you want, my 14 year old daughter has one of the clear bubble umbrellas I could send you!

Old 12-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

By the way, the trunk liner looks awesome!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Veteran member

Ok Rev, next black umbrella I see that I like, I'll buy it. I usually just had this one tucked into the corner of the boot, nobody ever saw it BTW, who's John Steed?

Ann, I thought of a bungee cord system, similar to what you were describing. In fact, the umbrella straps inspired me to think of something on a large scale, but expanded/retracted depending on how the cover was oriented. It has to be very quick and easy, otherwise that idea is no better than keeping it stored in its cover, and moving it around if need be. I need to get started on it, tomorrow. I'll cut something out and see how much material I really need to make it stay put, taking some away as I try it out. There will be no pics during this phase, as it's gonna be rough, maybe even safety pins and hand stiching until I get the dimensions and function correct.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
BTW, who's John Steed?
From The Avengers! I can't believe you'd ask that question on a British car forum!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(TV_series)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Steed

And of course, since we're talking about The Avengers, I have to post a picture of Emma Peel. Steed drove a Bentley and Emma drove a Lotus. Steed was always immaculately dressed in a three piece suit and bowler hat and Emma was usually wearing something that was risque for the 1960s. That's the only reason I watched the show when I was a kid!

Name:  EmmaPeel-ThreeTimesALady.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  107.7 KB

Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

OK, now back to the topic!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do think you are on to something. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I just roll mine up and drop it in the backseat. That way it is much faster to store or put on when I raise/drop the top with the key.

Another option would be to get a second spare tire cover panel, install the first one at the lowest position, put the boot cover on this and install the second panel at the upper position. Simple, easy to get to by lifting the first panel and won't get crushed.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I bought the tonneau cover bag from a guy on ebay whose bags are a stiffer type of material. Consequently, one way of "storing" is to put the tonneau in the bag and then stand the bag up vertically against the bulkhead (the "wall" between the rear seats and the trunk). So it is still in the trunk but does not really take up much actual usable trunk space that way.

Doug

Old 12-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Did someone say these covers cost$1K to replace?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

By the dealer, just about. Jag-bits appears to be using the same guy that I bought mine from on ebay (

Browsing ebay, I found this ebay seller using my image taken when I first bought mine...see the similarities? geesh! His image ...

and my original

Old 12-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm not a candidate, but just a thought ...

Has anybody checked to see if the trunk lid would stay open while carrying the weight of the tonneau?

Old 12-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Tonneau cover fitment.

Matt, your photo answered a question that I had. For some time I had fitted my tonneau cover the way yours is shown in the photo. Then, one day when I was cleaning it and spending a little more time than usual, something came to me. I had been fitting it improperly all along. (a few months after I bought the car) Please see the photo and see if you agree that this is the way that it is meant to be fitted.

Attached Thumbnails A new place to store the convertible boot cover? Input needed-jag-cover-photo.jpg  
Old 12-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Kevin,

I put my cover on the same way..tucked into the ridge on the side like in your pic

Old 12-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Veteran member

Hi Kevin, I also tuck it around that back seat corner piece like you show, just not in that image there. That was very early on in my ownership (first couple months) and I didn't make that same realization until much later. I knew it had to go behind the seats, but light bulb came on later in the install process.

Dennis, good question, and I'll test it shortly. I think the boot lid goes almost totally vertical, so I have a feeler that it'll be ok, as long as its fully opened before letting go of it.

Quick Reply: A new place to store the convertible boot cover? Input needed