XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Stereo Fitted Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Stereo Fitted Today

I have been looking to carry out an upgrade to the standard stereo head unit, I did not have the premium sound system fitted to my car either. I did carry out an upgrade to the standard speakers previously XK8/XKR Enthusiasts Club Forum • Login refers to this and the sound was already so much better than the standard ones.

I have been searching on this forum and others for ages looking at all the other stereo upgrades but I didn't want to spend loads of money as we only use our p&J in the summer months and I also wanted to be able to return it back to stock if we ever sold the car for a newer one

I wasn't bothered about using the CD stack in the boot as most of my music now days is stored on either a USB memory stick or SD cards which is plugged into my everyday car. I also wanted a hands free kit for the phone. so after some searching I stumbled across this a Parrot Asteroid Classic

it has varied views across various internet forums but did appear to be exactly what I was looking for.

So I hit the well known auction site and managed to steal one for under £70, told you I didn't want to spend a lot
It does not have DAB but it does fm and internet radio, and as I have unlimited data with my mobile phone this is not an issue.
It also has a navigation app which from what I have seen is quite good and accurate as well as a limited google maps, weather app and a few others.
It connects to my phone with ease, for calls and Bluetooth tethering for data connections, and Bluetooth music. It has USB, Line in, IPod/iPhone leads which I have routed to come in to the centre arm rest box through the switch blanking plate, and it has a SD card slot behind the removable fascia plate. So I have plugged my 16gb USB memory stick in with more than enough music on it also reads my 32gb SD card with no problems and as you can see from the pics also allows for the album art to come up as well

Picture of the installed unit and the album art.

Picture showing the navigation which is also audio turn by turn but in an American female voice.

I am not an audiophile, but to me the sound is so much better than the standard stereo
and a fairly cheap upgrade as well. I have still to get the module for the steering wheel controls but will get one when I can, oh and the install was easy with the iso adapter leads and facia adapter from http://www.Nexxia.co.uk

Attached Thumbnails New Stereo Fitted Today-kgrhqjnwfjwvp80m7bsepd2oq60_12.jpg   New Stereo Fitted Today-20131128_143248.jpg   New Stereo Fitted Today-20131128_143414.jpg  
Attached Images    

Last edited by nick71; 11-28-2013 at 12:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GGG (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nick, I see that you did this stereo upgrade on a 1997 car. I have the same with a good stock radio except that the display is totally dead. Is that why you upgraded also? How hard was it fitting the new unit?
Mark

Old 11-28-2013, 12:11 PM

I upgraded as most my music now is MP3 on USB stick or on my mobile phone. I got fed up with using the cassette with the wire feed adapter (not sure what there called) to plug into my mobile phone to listen to my music. The install was pretty easy with the help of the forum took me a couple of hours. You have to remove the centre console which is not too hard
this will show how it is done well done to Sam for this.
Install the new fascia panel and radio surround and job done

Old 11-28-2013, 01:08 PM

Nick, So if your radio is in good working order, and the display is good, would you be interested in selling it?
Mark

Old 11-28-2013, 01:11 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by nick71
I have been looking to carry out an upgrade to the standard stereo head unit ..............
Great write up and a neat install.

The Parrot Asteroid Classic certainly offers a lot for the price.

Graham

Old 11-28-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nemesis435
Nick, So if your radio is in good working order, and the display is good, would you be interested in selling it?
Mark
Sorry Mark, no can do. I want to keep it so that I can restore it to factory condition if and when I change the car.
There are always ones for sale on ebay you just need to keep checking.
Cheers
Nick

Old 11-29-2013, 08:07 AM

Nick,
Understood. Thanks again for sharing your info on this.
Mark

Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Nick
Great job, would like to do the same, besides the head unit what else is needed to complete the job? Did you have to cut ans splice wires? Will the new unit work with the premium AMP? Thanks in advance. Scott

2000 XK8 Alpine Premium system.

The following users liked this post:
XKRacer (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Great job Nick. I'm really impressed. You get to keep your gauges and get a sat/nav system and it looks great; very OEM like.

Mark

Old 01-11-2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by sshowell99
Hi Nick
Great job, would like to do the same, besides the head unit what else is needed to complete the job? Did you have to cut ans splice wires? Will the new unit work with the premium AMP? Thanks in advance. Scott
Hi Scott,
You can get the fascia adapter plate and iso lead from Buy Jaguar XJ Car Stereo Fitting Kit online at Nexxia

you may also need to buy the older replacement fascia from jaguar which I had to I think the number is (LJA6318AB). I did not have to cut any wires. I am not sure if it would fit to the premium amp as I did not have that system fitted sorry.

Last edited by nick71; 01-11-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mjlaris
Great job Nick. I'm really impressed. You get to keep your gauges and get a sat/nav system and it looks great; very OEM like.

Mark
Thanks Mark, not really trialled it out yet to its full potential as the car has been tucked away fro the winter. I don't think the sat nav will be as good as the aftermarket ones you can buy but I hate the look of a sat nav attached to the windscreen.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks Mark, not really trialled it out yet to its full potential as the car has been tucked away fro the winter. I don't think the sat nav will be as good as the aftermarket ones you can buy but I hate the look of a sat nav attached to the windscreen.

Yes, I agree; I don't like the sat/nav on the window either. Your solution works and looks good. You did a great job.

Mark

Old 01-12-2014, 05:56 AM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Nick

Well done looks like I good job.

I also replaced mine and have kept the origonal unit to put back when I sell it (if ever) https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-56937/page4/

I think this is the best modification to keep the early cars upto date, the extra functionality of a more modern unit certainly enhances the pleasure of using them, especially as its my dailey driver.

regards

Old 01-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome! I'm ready to pull the trigger on my upgrade! Here's my list:
FKS Kit (PC2-55-4 Harness and FP14-00 Facia) - Nexxia
94-97 XJ6 Radio bezel/trim - Probably from Ebay
Steering wheel control CTSJG002.2 - Nexxia
Antenna Adapter CT27AA44 - Nexxia
Planning on bypassing the OEM Amplifier and using the JVC head unit amp to push the speakers, if that doesn't work I'll get a aftermarket AMP. Can aybody think of anything else? Thanks
Scott

Old 03-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Good job with your upgrade!
I've been looking around on a few threads to find our which adapters can be used to upgrade a late 2002 XK8, radio and steering controls to an aftermarket head unit.
All the parts websites show only 1997 to March 2002. Any ideas how i can do it?

Old 07-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fascia and steering controls

Sorry Mark, no can do. I want to keep it so that I can restore it to factory condition if and when I change the car.
There are always ones for sale on ebay you just need to keep checking.
Cheers
Nick
Hi Nick,
I bought the radio you installed. It looks cool. I cannot find a fascia or steering controls adapter. Can you tell me what model # you got for those and where you got them?
Thanks
Tom Diab

Old 07-22-2016, 04:48 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Diab
Hi Nick,
I bought the radio you installed. It looks cool. I cannot find a fascia or steering controls adapter. Can you tell me what model # you got for those and where you got them?
Thanks
Tom Diab
Again, search is your friend. You need a 97 console bracket and a Nexxia fascia.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Nice, a small JAGUAR decal over the Parrot decal and it would be complete! What color are the button back lights?

Old 07-22-2016, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

What's the model number of the Parrot stero, I did a search and can only find the Asteroid model.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:40 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
What's the model number of the Parrot stero, I did a search and can only find the Asteroid model.
The 1DIN is the Parrot Asteroid Classic. It is no longer made. They pop up from time to time on eBay. They have a very mixed reputation. Overall, Parrott's Asteroid products have not been successful or well rated. Great ideas but poor execution is the general consensus. That isn't to say you may not be happy with it.

Quick Reply: New Stereo Fitted Today