XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New wheels. On the fence. But the price is right!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default New wheels. On the fence. But the price is right!

New wheels. On the fence. But the price is right!-image.jpg
As I'm sure you all know, I'm constantly changing my car. Lets call it OCD!!
I've currently got two sets of wheels, the factory impellers in chrome that have pitting and flaking, not as bad as some, but I always see the damage, and a set os the same impellers I had purchased in powder coated black, then had repainted in a light Dorchester grey.
Now I'm having car re sprayed but the black is driving me insane with dirt, swirl marks and overall up keep. I'm going with either stratus grey or Dorchester grey.
I found these wheels, price is right, my almost new tires fit, bolt pattern same, I already have spacers so its a swap out. I've had several people interested in my painted wheels already. A it's almost an even swap. And the center caps will fit.
Yes, it's a little muscle car-ish but aren't these the British muscle cars? They come in several colors but I think I like the clean silver painted interior with the polished aluminum exterior.
I've seen some really outrageous HUGE wheels on this forum and I've heard a ton of you "love" them when we all know they are WRONG! At least these are 18" and relatively modest.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I think these wheels are at least as nice as the ones you're replacing. And, because of the wide open spaces between the bars, would make your calipers prime candidates for painting a contrast color (or getting colored covers) where they would really stick out and make a nice detail. They'd also be easier to keep clean for the same reason. I say, "thumbs up."

The following users liked this post:
philhef (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
I think these wheels are at least as nice as the ones you're replacing. And, because of the wide open spaces between the bars, would make your calipers prime candidates for painting a contrast color (or getting colored covers) where they would really stick out and make a nice detail. They'd also be easier to keep clean for the same reason. I say, "thumbs up."
Already have the Mgp caliper covers in red so that's done! I'm concerned with the offset. It's 13mm but I've already got spacers on front and rear. 5 mm are necessary, can't remember what I have! I think 1/2 inch in front and 3/4 in rear.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Look pretty good to me and I don't think they scream muscle car. I'd say go for it. You'll still have a spare set of the Impellers if it just looks terrible once they are mounted.

Everyone will get over the 6-point vs. 5-point star thing. And as noted by tberg, they will really show off your calipers. That will give you another thing to personalize. It's a win - win!

Old 09-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Your car, your preference. I always try to stay with OEM, but newer wheels.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
Your car, your preference. I always try to stay with OEM, but newer wheels.
I usually agree but any I e found that are later styles I like are way outta my $$ zone and require new tires.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

I'm going over the top!! Just bought these!!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Nice wheels and exciting times. But I'm gonna need a scorecard to keep up with all the changes in Phil-land.

The following users liked this post:
philhef (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Nice wheels and exciting times. But I'm gonna need a scorecard to keep up with all the changes in Phil-land.
It's not boring in my head!! Lol

Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Just found this pic of the Arden tuned XKR. I think my wheels are a good match!! Whew!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

very nice wheels! What brand? Size? Cost?
Thank you

Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Now that's a wheel!!

Old 10-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by baiao
very nice wheels! What brand? Size? Cost?
Thank you
They appear to be the Stern "Beast" wheels out on eBay (HERE)... I strongly considered those as well before I bought mine (mine were like $750 with almost new wheels and tires on Craigslist, so I went with them). I also compared them to the Arden wheels and thought they were very similar... now when Phil gets them and they look awesome I am going to have to sell mine and get those

Attached Thumbnails New wheels. On the fence. But the price is right!-side-view.jpg  
Old 10-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Found another pic but on a black XK8. Now I know I made right choice! The straight on profile is almost identical to the Arden wheel. I'm counting on my tires fitting.
And yes, they were off eBay and the stern wheels.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by blindside
They appear to be the Stern "Beast" wheels out on eBay (HERE)... I strongly considered those as well before I bought mine (mine were like $750 with almost new wheels and tires on Craigslist, so I went with them). I also compared them to the Arden wheels and thought they were very similar... now when Phil gets them and they look awesome I am going to have to sell mine and get those
Uh, why would you want to change!!!!! those look awesome!!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default stern

I just got these stern wheels from ebay for 400 new. I wish I had seen those wheels or could afford a set of Coventry wheels. Those wheels were an excellent choice!

Attached Thumbnails New wheels. On the fence. But the price is right!-20131002_171731.jpg  
Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by philhef
Uh, why would you want to change!!!!! those look awesome!!
I probably wouldn't, BUT I do LOVE the look of those Arden wheels and if the BEAST's looked that good, well...

Old 10-03-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by knowledge
I just got these stern wheels from ebay for 400 new. I wish I had seen those wheels or could afford a set of Coventry wheels. Those wheels were an excellent choice!
Your wheels definitely look sweet... are those Stern as well (or ADR) and how is the build / ride quality on them? I looked around forever for wheels and didn't want to go with adapters so it definitely limited my choices.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my wheels are Stern 7 wheels. I was a bit worried when I first opened the box. They looked like they had rust spots on them and I wanted to send them back. The seller told me to polish them with Mothers or something similar. It worked and they have an incredible shine. The fit is perfect...doesn't stick out past the fender and with the offset, I no longer wanted to order spacers. On the inside of the spokes the chrome looks a bit thin to me. I'm running Nitto tires and have no vibrations@ 90mph. I have only heard a scrub of the tires and that was coming over a hill pretty fast where I think all four wheels actually left the ground.

20" Stern St 1 Wheel Rim Hyper Silver BMW 5 7 8 Series Camaro Firebird Jaguar | eBay

This is the sellers Ebay page...look through his inventory and you'll see the he now has the arden style wheels as well as the ones I purchased for "best offer" with free shipping.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by knowledge
my wheels are Stern 7 wheels. I was a bit worried when I first opened the box. They looked like they had rust spots on them and I wanted to send them back. The seller told me to polish them with Mothers or something similar. It worked and they have an incredible shine. The fit is perfect...doesn't stick out past the fender and with the offset, I no longer wanted to order spacers. On the inside of the spokes the chrome looks a bit thin to me. I'm running Nitto tires and have no vibrations@ 90mph. I have only heard a scrub of the tires and that was coming over a hill pretty fast where I think all four wheels actually left the ground.

20" Stern St 1 Wheel Rim Hyper Silver BMW 5 7 8 Series Camaro Firebird Jaguar | eBay

This is the sellers Ebay page...look through his inventory and you'll see the he now has the arden style wheels as well as the ones I purchased for "best offer" with free shipping.
That's the same seller I purchased mine from. Supposed to be delivered tomorrow!! I won't sleep tonight!! And those arden style "beast" wheels are the ones I ordered!
I finally picked my paint today as well. It's called "black mink metallic"

Actually, check with seller first. I bought them from him then after I paid, he told me he didn't have any. Tried to sell me some other styles. NO!
I went to rimzforless on ebay. He had same ones in stock and plenty. Same price.

Last edited by philhef; 10-03-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: New wheels. On the fence. But the price is right!